What's new

Brush Bloom......

Is there any way to tell how much a brush will bloom? I just bought this Colonel X2L, and although I like some bloom, I was kind of hoping this one bloomed a little less.. it seems to me that most of the photos I see of Colonels, they look to not be so bloomy, which is why I chose this one..All the Simpsons that I've bought so far, 2 Berkeleys and this Colonel all in Best Badger, have all bloomed about the same, yet, again most photos I see, show substantially less bloom than what I end up withView attachment 233262 $IMAG0439.jpg

Last edited:
Not so sure just what you're looking for, but that bloom looks fine to me.

You might want to try a smaller mm brush.

Last edited:
I understand what you mean by wanting less bloom. I think aesthetically it looks better with less bloom, and I prefer the compact face feel. I don't think there is really any way to minimize the bloom. Most two band stuff doesn't bloom as much if that is your number one objective in a brush.

Try some of its German counterparts. My thater and shavemacs have noticeably less bloom than Simpson's best.

I think it depends on your lathering style too. If you press the brush into your face and swirl vs painting motions etc. I mainly face lather with painting strokes and rarely get the blooms in my brushes I see posted. YMMV

I'm still pretty new, and so far I've only tried these bloomy ones. So if figured id try to check out something different, and again , got the Bloom..for all I know, I prefer the bloom....Bloom Bloom Bloom:em2300:

If you don't like bloom, stick with 2-band silvertip/super. 2-band doesn't bloom nearly as much as 3-band silvertip or any midgrade hair.

Heres some La Toja shave stick, bowl latheres with my Bloomed out Colonel..
$IMAG0449.jpg

Last edited:
I think it depends on your lathering style too. If you press the brush into your face and swirl vs painting motions etc. I mainly face lather with painting strokes and rarely get the blooms in my brushes I see posted. YMMV

^+1 Even my BK8 and Vulfix 2234 haven't bloomed that much.

^+1 Even my BK8 and Vulfix 2234 haven't bloomed that much.

I don't really press the brush into my face. Also, how do you whip up a lather using painting motions? whether bowl or face lathering, I don't think I've ever seen it.

Last edited:
If your loft/knot ratio is near or greater than 2 & it is not a very dense brush you're more likely to get a larger bloom. With a ratio of between 2.3 and 2.4 the X2L could easily be expected to have significant bloom.

Top Bottom