What's new

Ouch!!!

Second attempt with my EJDE89 w/ Bluebird Blade ouch it is sore here is my routine ....Hot towel press on face for 1:30sec, Cromwell Cruthers shave oil for the length of time it takes me to lather up a good thick lather, WTG rinse w/ warm water, WTG rinse w/ warm water, ATG rinse w/ warm water, touched up nicks, Cold water splash, Witch hazel spray x2, Neutrogena after shave balm x2...This is what it looks like 10 min after I shave it will fad but it still bugs me

Attachments

• $100_0201.jpg
    $100_0201.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 100
Try cold water...warm lather and water never agreed with my skin being as it is very sensitive...try some DR Harris Arlington pre shave..I get virtually 0 irritation from what I used to do from a cold water splash..hope this helps :)

I have to be clean shaven for work or I have to wear a beard net (which I can't stand) so when I am on day shift I have to shave everyday.... visible growth and they make me wear one ... could be the oil I will try shaving with out that and use cold water only for my next shave

I have to be clean shaven for work or I have to wear a beard net (which I can't stand) so when I am on day shift I have to shave everyday.... visible growth and they make me wear one ... could be the oil I will try shaving with out that and use cold water only for my next shave

Try one or two WTG only passes. Plenty clean for work, but gives your skin a rest. ATG is touch to get right. I hardly ever do it.

ok this was my first ATG in awhile I usually do 3 WTG passes..I usually only get a few under my chin and a little on the left and right of my Adams apple...it fades quickly usually tho

Can you tell which pass is causing the irritation?

Some guys' faces (like mine) just don't react well to the XTG pass. I shave every day as well, but only one WTG pass. I have an EJ Loxley, which I think has the same shaving head as your DE89. I usually use a soap with a lot of 'slip' like MWF, Tabac, or Cella, and I can get quite close with just the WTG pass, and zero irritation. No AS balm needed.

I use TOBS jermyn st. shave cream ...I did 3 WTG passes sunday night and I couldnt get all my stubble off my jaw bone

It was def. the ATG pass I was very careful and very light to touch my skin in my neck area but it still happened I guess ATG is just not ever going to work

strop

Now half as wise
You should be able to get a SAS shave with only a couple of WTG passes. It won't feel close to you but will look close enough. Looks to me from the picture you're using to much pressure. Try to imagine holding the razor so that the blade will clean off the lather but not touch your face. It's not actually possible, but that's the imagery that helped me understand what no pressure meant.

I have never rinsed my face between passes. I will use warm water to rewet my beard after a hot shower. I use lukewarm/room temp water to do the first rinse and then immediatley cold water rinse. (The lukewarm does better for me at removing soap residue) Warm water rinses between passes may be dilating capillaries making skin more likely to bleed. Remember you'll need wetter lather to start, since you won't be wetting your face. I think many tend to start with lather that is too dry. It's not as much of a problem with the DE as a straight. I had to change how I made lather when I switched. Now when I go back to DE with the wetter lather, I get a better shave than I did before.

I have to shave every day for work also. Most weeks I do 6-7 shaves. There is no way in hell my skin could handle that close of a shave. You went way too close there, and that is why you have all the bumps and irritation. Do you really need to be super BBS for work? If not a simple DFS is the way to go. Unless you have to pass a military inspection there is probably no need for a super BBS.

Also you don't say anything about using a proper brush and soap/cream. If you are shaving with shave oil that is not going to protect your skin from the blade.

Right now, if you are just starting 2 WTG passes is all you should be doing. After you get comfortable and your technique doesn't destroy your face, then try 1 WTG and 1 XTG. After that, call it day and stop shaving.

I use a Silvertip badger brush from tgn and tobs jermyn st. cream...no I don't need a bbs shave for work but I thought one final pass shouldn't hurt that much boy was I wrong so ...I thought I would see if people could see what my biggest mistake was and also show other newbs what not to do ....NEWBS DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME

Alex, just chill out when you shave and don't overdo it. If you have a little missed spot here or there, forget about it. It's not worth the irritation. As you found out, that extra pass was not worth it.

I totally skip the ATG under my jaw and this is my second month with DE shaving. If you're new to DE, I suggest holding off on that last ATG pass till you get better used to it and master the blade angle and pressure.

Alright thanks for all the tips everyone. . . . I will chill for a bit and rest my face try again in a couple days :( my skin food should be here tomorrow along with my st jermyn ASB

Grab a good-sized apple and wet it with water. After a couple of passes shave the apple instead of your face until the desire to keep shaving passes. Eat apple.

My newbie solution to the "I want to keep shaving even if my skin protests" would be skipping the ATG pass, and trying a final GTG pass. It's more shaving, but less likely to cut you up.

Ben

Top Bottom