What's new

On Handwriting

Gentlemen,
I have recently (or have subconsciously known, but this is the first time to acknowledge it) come to the realization that my handwriting is horrible. I realized that I can't do script, and my print is abysmal. (I blame it on being a lefty and college note-taking) But when I come across someone that has excellent handwriting, I'm so jealous and outclassed. Handwriting used to be such an art form! When I look through my grandfather and great grandfather's letters, the beauty of it just blows my mind.
Does anyone know of a book on handwriting that I can get some practice in? My wife has a few old shorthand training books around, and I was wondering whether they made the same type thing but for script.

Thanks!

I feel your pain. I am also a lefty, can't do cursive and have abysmal print from too much rushed college note-taking. I've been working on improving my handwriting and all I can say is practice, practice, practice! We have alot of bad habits to break!

Gentlemen,
I have recently (or have subconsciously known, but this is the first time to acknowledge it) come to the realization that my handwriting is horrible. I realized that I can't do script, and my print is abysmal. (I blame it on being a lefty and college note-taking) But when I come across someone that has excellent handwriting, I'm so jealous and outclassed. Handwriting used to be such an art form! When I look through my grandfather and great grandfather's letters, the beauty of it just blows my mind.
Does anyone know of a book on handwriting that I can get some practice in? My wife has a few old shorthand training books around, and I was wondering whether they made the same type thing but for script.

Thanks!

I started freee writing whatever popped into my head each night. I could fill three or four pages for the longest time. I get compliments on my writing all the time now. Practice is the key :)

I started freee writing whatever popped into my head each night. I could fill three or four pages for the longest time. I get compliments on my writing all the time now. Practice is the key :)

i agree...let your thoughts flow to whatever is on your mind or heart....except the real hot babe that sat on your desk and it wasnt your wife....even your speech will improve....

Write Now by Barbara Getty and Inga Dubay
Italic Letters - Calligraphy & Handwriting by Inga Dubay and Barbara Getty

Both are excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I think Nemo posted a link to Palmer's penmanship budget a while back. Pretty much how I was taught back in the 60's.

I just ordered that "Write Now" book on the sometimes-forgotten art of handwriting from another sometimes-forgotten resource: the library. I bet there aren't too many requests for it ahead of mine.:lemo:

Hello all,

I'm new here and have just found this sub-forum. What a wonderful place! It looks like this is going to be a place where I can ask questions that I didn't know where to ask!

I have horrible handwriting. It is uneven, small, messy, and unintelligible to most. I have a few unique aspects to my writing that I love (simple things like the way I connect my "t" and "h", etc...) but nothing great. These things I like are things I inherited from watching my dad write as a kid. Our penmanship has a lot in common, but his is so much better. When I go back and look at things he's written to me, I'm impressed by his style.

I've long wanted to improve my penmanship. I love to write. I love the tactile feel of the pen on the page. I love the way that hand-writing makes me be more intentional with my thoughts. Also, professionally, I am a graphic designer and I love the simple beauty in good handwriting. However, after I write, a page full of notes I look at it and think "Ugh... what a mess".

Anyways, I'm looking to improve my handwriting. Are there courses, books, exercises, videos, tips, etc... that you might point me towards?

-jon

Jon, I too have been wanting to improve my handwriting. I am going to start by going back to the basics with a first or second grade writing book to practice my letters and words. I am going to see if I can find a pad like I had in grade school with the dashed line splitting the space. I have a new fountain pen and want to be able to use it with skill, well more finess than skill. I will keep watch on this thread to see what suggestions.

Just know you aren't alone.

R/
Will

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Practice makes perfect. Join the snail mail group . . . send a PM to BrianW. Anybody who want's to send me a note will get one back (to the best of my ability . . . and I've not missed returning a note yet)

Top Bottom