What's new

What is your earliest TV memory?

The Lucy Show,Lassie,My Favorite Martian,The Dick Van Dyke Show,The Beverly Hillbillies,lancelot link,Captain Kangaroo,Superman,Bewitched,Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.,The Munsters,Gilligan's Island,Daktari,Green Hornet, Hogan's Heroes,Dennis the Menace,The Red Skelton Show,McHale's Navy,

I'd like to test my theory that there is a relationship between birth year and earliest remembered TV show.

What year were you born, and what are the first shows of which you have any memory?

I'll start:

Born--1959

Earliest shows--Superman (with George Reeves,) Car 54 Where Are You?, Mickey Mouse Club.

Same year-and I will add Batman and Flipper.

Born 1960.

Earliest memory? JFK assassination coverage. For some reason I remember seeing Oswald's body being moved on a covered gurney.

Lawrence Welk. Bonanza. Gilligan's Island; I used to get mad at my older brother for wanting to watch that instead of cartoons. We also had a lot of local programming for kids. Axel's Treehouse and Lunch with Casey Jones.

First show I saw in color? Star Trek.

Don

1957. I remember some strange obscure TV shows..."Casey Jones" with Alan Hale, ( who later was "Skipper"from Gilligan's Island;) "Lassie" always loved Lassie...these the ones with June Lockhart and Timmy; "Cannonball" a story about truckers, which my Dad watched...I think Claude Akins was in it. "Captain Kangaroo" of course, I remember "Make Room for Daddy" with Danny Thomas, which spun off Andy Griffith Show (Ernest T. Bass was my lifetime role model), and I remember the excitement of watching the opening epidsode of the Beverly Hillbillies, Leave it to Beaver, Donna Reed, Father Knows Best, and Ozzie and Harriet.

Locally here, (Chicago) Garfield Goose, Ray Rayner, and of course Bozo. On Sunday mornings, re-runs of "Sgt. Preston of the Yukon".

I think 1964 was the high water mark in TV for me-- with Munsters and Addams Family premiering, and possibly Gilligan

Alfred Hitchcock Presents, with my grandmother, and also "Art Linkletter's House Party" in the afternoons. Concentration, and Jeopardy later in life, with Art Fleming. Password with Alan Ludden. Queen for a Day was a scream-- who could tell the best story of the worst life to win a washing machine.

Do you remember that the newsmen on the Today show (probably Frank Blair) wore big headphones?

Also-- Sky King, who flew his plane on Saturday mornings and occasionally barnstormed, courtesy of Nabisco all over the country. I saw him in person once! Roy Rogers. Alvin and the Chipmunks, Dick Van Dyke.

But I didn't watch much TV...obviously! And my memory is vague...

I was born in 57. Yes, I turned 50 this year. The first memory of TV was watching Dwight Eisenhauer giving a speech. It must have been about 1960. After that it was Romper Room.

Born the first year of the notched positioning bar on Gillette SS.

Sgt. Preston of the Yukon,
Rin TIn Tin,
Gunsmoke when it was 1/2 hour and opened with Matt Dillon (James Arness) With one foot on a tombstone saying "This here's boot hill".

proxy.php

Buster Brown Show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9pPFCjRPvM

Captain Video and his Video Rangers http://youtube.com/watch?v=7KTyWvyuoGk

You Bet Your Life http://youtube.com/watch?v=pgbP4zbGpqs

Folks were big on westerns: Bonanza, the Virginian, High Chapparel. Also the Walt Disney Show, Lawerence Welk, Red Skelton. Cartoons were Bugs Bunny (anyone else remember the Rabbit of Seville?), Pink Panther, Woody Woodpecker, Tom and Jerry.

Mr. Ed, The Ed Sullivan Show, Flipper, I Love Lucy (already in reruns at that time), The Jackie Gleason Show, The Popeye Club with Officer Don ( a local Atlanta kids show), Batman

1968, Dragnet though we didn't have a TV until I was like 5. A ancient, old black and white. I remember when we turned it off you could see the beam make the distinct wavy pattern as the magnets shut off and it returned to dead center on the screen in a dot. We'd sit and watch it until the dot completely faded about 5 minutes later.

That was better than any show anyway.

Born 1960 - my earliest TV memory is Bobby Kennedy's Funeral. My earliest TV series memory was The Rifleman with Chuck Conners.

born 1970.

leave it to beaver (could have been re-runs though)
Dukes of Hazzard
Land of the Lost (this is a show I'd watch now if they ever played re-runs of it) Anyone else ever watch this one?

born 1970.

leave it to beaver (could have been re-runs though)
Dukes of Hazzard
Land of the Lost (this is a show I'd watch now if they ever played re-runs of it) Anyone else ever watch this one?

I used to watch Land of the Lost all the time. But who could forget the Bugaloo's.

'66 vintage. The earliest would be Captain Kangaroo, H.R. Pufnstuf, Scooby-doo, and a lot of Vietnam news I didn't understand.

But I didn't watch much TV...obviously! And my memory is vague...

It's easy to forget how little TV there was to watch. We only got three channels, maybe four if the weather cooperated. TV went off the air after the eleven o'clock news up until about 1980 and the Iran Hostage Crisis, when Nightline began and started a whole new genre of late-night news programming. There were whole "dead spots" (from a kid's point of view) during the day when there really was absolutely nothing to watch. We were pretty much limited to the after-school/before-supper time slot, the after-supper/before bed time slot, and Saturday morning.

TV really consumed a much smaller portion of our day then.

Mickey Mouse Club, Winky Dink, Roy Rogers, The Lone Ranger

Thanks for reminding me about Winky Dink. Wasn't that the show were you put a piece of clear plastic on the screen and drew his escape route at the end of each cliffhanger?

Roger

Top Bottom