What's new

Tube or Tub

The question has been raised many times, but think I have found a new "advantage" to the tub. I have a tub of TOBS sandalwood cream that has been languishing since I switched to mostly soaps (including TOBS sandalwood soap). Because it has sat for such a long time, the cream in the tub has dried to a soft soap consistency. And I started using it again, but as a soft soap. And it works great! Thinking that when I want another cream I will buy a tub and perhaps deliberately let it dry some. Really works well!

Yes, I have 5 Tubs of the AOS Rose (discontinued) which were never opened, since it's getting warmer I decided to put one in rotation and discovered it was dry & fairly hard. I didn't want to bother re-hydrating and after loading up my Brush, the scent and lather were fine, I think another benefit would be a longer lasting Tub since I only loaded ~35-45 seconds. All my Tube Creams are immediately put in a Tub when opened since I like to dip & swirl my brush when loading.

I would prefer a tub for home use as I can get every last bit out of it whereas with a tube there is always that one shave's worth wasted as it won't come out of the tube. I have to admit that a tube is convenient for travel as they are usually around 100ml and allowed in carry-on baggage when flying. Most tubs are over 100ml and therefore have to be in checked baggage, for a one or two day trip one usually doesn't check a bag (it costs $35 one-way unless you fly first-class so keeping a TSA-compliant tube is cheaper than checking bags so you can take your 150ml tub of TOBS on your trip).

My creams/soaps collection is growing alarmingly. Is it beneficial to transfer my tube cream in an empty tub for a few years rotation or is preferable to keep it in its own tube?

They don't last long enough around here to get dried out.

The secret is... get a bigger brush and you will use a LOT more product per lather :lol:

Tubs are better value for money, but TBH I find tubes to be more convenient. I also prefer tubes as the product doesn't seem to dry out as quickly.

I haven't used a tube for anything yet, because each time I think about it I see that it costs the same amount of money for half the product, and change my mind. :p

Because I shower shave, I find tubes to be more convenient so I use them wherever practical. T&H comes in plastic tubes so its real easy to use a used blade to slice the tube open for those last tidbits

Tubes, only because the cream doesn't dry as quickly. I like my creams very soft and I like a lot of them in my rotation so it takes me awhile to go through them.

Tubes, only because the cream doesn't dry as quickly. I like my creams very soft and I like a lot of them in my rotation so it takes me awhile to go through them.

Good point...if you like to use several creams you are better with tubes. I use T&H Grafton, 1805, Trafalgar, Lavendar plus Trumpers Violet and BB. I also have a tube of El Mehlor for those no prep, no brush quick touch ups and Ill soon have a tube of Speick again (Im waiting for my Violet to get a little lower to shave on shipping costs) for when I run out of El Mehlor, since Speick is a far better product, yet still cheap enough for rough shaving

Top Bottom