Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tradere Razors- handle sale now over- Open Comb Razor Preview and Information

Quote Originally Posted by VladTepes View Post
    I bought the handle and will definitely buy the head/box to suit. I'll shoot you an email in teh next couple of days.
    I agree with VladTepes, I ordered the handle and will happily take the head/box.

Keen to see the slant as well.

Photo suggestion: I would also like to see a picture with the blade installed to see the exposure.
    Last edited by OldGreyGuy; 04-02-2012 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Added thoughts about photo
    Arkolyte, BOTOC, SWA (Secret Weber Alliance), TOFLAC-U, 2013 Sabbatical Finisher

I am really excited to see the slant. I have a Hoffritz slant and love it, would love to have one that is American made. Keep up the good work Richard.
    I didn't surrender, they made my horse surrender though.
    Walter Havens, proud member of the Brotherhood of the Open Comb

Bringer of the Badger. "it's my job"

Images

Hey Larry, did you ever hear back about this? The OP was not quite clear if we were to PM/email him, or order through the two vendors (how would they know we already bought the handle?).

Quote Originally Posted by Lar View Post
    I keep the Veg in Vegetal.

Images

Images

Received my handle today (Wow...it's amazing!) and placed my order for the new OC Head. I received a confirmation within a couple of hours. Now it's just a matter of waiting until they're ready for shipping. At least I can try out the handle on some of my three-piece razors. This is like waiting for Christmas!
    Last edited by Snargle; 04-02-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: speling misteak...
    Larry (TOFLAC-U, BOTOC, LOSER, The Rubberset 400 Club, Fountain Pen Junkie, Savior of Vintage Brushes, and some other stuff I forgot!)

Images

Got mine today. She looks concerned because I attached it to a FaTip head which wasn't supposed to fit. Beautiful piece of workmanship.

Name:  IMG_1584.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  61.0 KB
    "Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please."
    Mark Twain

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OldGreyGuy View Post
    I agree with VladTepes, I ordered the handle and will happily take the head/box.

Keen to see the slant as well.
    Where is a slant referenced, I have not seen any reference to it?
    Mike

Don't chase the good at the cost of the best.

I sent an email to Tradere Razors about being put on the wait list for the razor head, but I have yet to receive a confirmation. Has anyone received a confirmation?
    -Joe- Proud Member of The BOTOC
    http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/User:Itaforte

Images

Yes- just received an email from Richard confirming that I am on the pre-order list.

Quote Originally Posted by itaforte View Post
    I sent an email to Tradere Razors about being put on the wait list for the razor head, but I have yet to receive a confirmation. Has anyone received a confirmation?

Sorry for the delay in answering but I didn't see the question earlier.

I mistyped the email address and it didn't go out. I resent it late the next day and received a response the following morning. I was already on a "pre-order list". I'm not certain if that's because I made it clear when I ordered the handle that I wanted the entire set or whether everyone that ordered the handle are on that list. I recommend that you PM or email Richard for confirmation.

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the head so I can try the razor. The looks and workmanship of the handle are stunning - truely a work of art!

Quote Originally Posted by Vickers View Post
    Hey Larry, did you ever hear back about this? The OP was not quite clear if we were to PM/email him, or order through the two vendors (how would they know we already bought the handle?).
    - Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    Where is a slant referenced, I have not seen any reference to it?
    He references the fact that he's working on a slant in the his original post.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Haiku View Post
    He references the fact that he's working on a slant in the his original post.
    I guess I was too excited getting to the pictures, I missed it. Thanks
    Mike

Don't chase the good at the cost of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    I guess I was too excited getting to the pictures, I missed it. Thanks
    I think lots of us fell into doing just that. I did as well.

Images

wow Richard
    it looks great from the pics you provided!

I like that you are using a cap that extends over the blade ends.

--james

I heard back from him today as well. Looking forward to a new US made OC!
    I have too many razors or not enough face.....

If Richard adds a slant head along with the open comb head, then I hope he'll add a closed head comb as well. It could be the only razors I'd need.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by itsmedave View Post
    If Richard adds a slant head along with the open comb head, then I hope he'll add a closed head comb as well. It could be the only razors I'd need.
    I agree. And then we'll need a special group of advocates for that for particular razor, so I'll go ahead and coin it now.

Brothers In Our Tradere Closed Heads.

B.I.O.T.C.H.

- Mark
    He Who Must Be O'Blade

Default Quick update

Here is a quick update. If you ordered your handle during the introductory sale, I will fulfill your head orders. If you did not order during the introductory sale and want to be on a wait list, please contact Bullgoose or West Coast. Same goes with new handle orders; it would be best to order through them. They are much better equipped for fulfillment than I am.

The raw materials for the heads have started arriving at the factory and I am picking up the remainder of the initial handle order tomorrow, although we are up to date on all shipments. The cases are expected to be shipped to me 4/13 and should arrive as the heads are getting finished up. So we remain on schedule for a first week of May shipping time frame.

When the heads go into manufacture I and at least one other of my testers will be on hand. They are going to run a few heads, stop the process, we are going to shave with them to make sure they meet the specs and then let them continue. I will try and take photos while we are there, so you can all see what goes into making a machined razor head.

A few questions were asked as to why a head is so much more costly to make than a handle. I asked the same thing when I got pricing. Here is the answer I accepted, after the process was demonstrated for me.

There are two parts to make in the head not one, so it takes more material preparation and much more machine time. The way they make the top piece, or cap, is to cut a small block of stainless and first machine the inside of the cap, the keys to hold the blade and of course the stem. That part is then flipped over and the actual top profile of the cap is machined and the grooves on the side are added. Later it is threaded. The bottom plate is also cut from a small block of stainless, the top part of it machined to accept the keys from the cap that hold the blade in place a hole is drilled for the stem and for the rest of the design. Then the teeth are cut. The bottom plate will also be engraved, although I am not sure exactly when that will happen in the sequence, or even if it is on the same machine. If you contrast this with a handle that is made from a standard width round stock that is made in a single session on a CNC lathe, you can probably imagine that it is faster and less complex a process.

Now as to a slant, yes we are working on that as our next project. We have begun working on the preliminary design and will be working on getting that design finished and prototyped. We decided to work on a slant next because it really is an intriguing design issue and has not been addressed in a long time.

I have gotten a number of questions as to blade gap and the like. Here is a photo of the prototype head with a blade in it from the side and from dead on. I will try and take some more photos soon. As you may guess due to great initial response things have been very hectic. Thanks for that!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Richard- owner Tradere Razors- where tradition meets today, www.tradererazors.com ,proudly made in the United State of America.

19. Default

How's about a single-edge head for that handle while you're at it
    Avid Autostropian

Id like to see a slant , the box you use could come in a nifty kit one or two handles multiable heads