What's new

W&B in Black Horn

A third one came off the bench this week. I was sent the bare blade ( less scales ) for a clean up and polish. There was at one time an etching covering most of this blade as the ghost of it was barely visible.

As time went on it was decided that I would also make up some scales for it. I don't think there is anything as classic as polished black horn. As I said in my emails,, it's as stylish as a woman in the little black dress. Always looks good.
My goal, since the blade was in relatively good shape but for some hone wear that I took care of, was to restore it to what would look like a new razor.
I used a slab of black horn ( that's what it's sitting on in the photos) and imitated the shape of an original scale. I also did triple stacked washers on the wedge end and double stacked on the hinge to simulate the bullseyes. I finished it off with a pure white wedge for the contrast.
I like to think this is pretty close to what it may have looked like when new. And as always trying hard to preserve the stamping.

Now just hone them up and off they go.

Attachments

• $IMG_1326.JPG
    $IMG_1326.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 303
  • $IMG_1434.JPG
    $IMG_1434.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 305
  • $IMG_1417.JPG
    $IMG_1417.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 304
  • $IMG_1415.JPG
    $IMG_1415.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 303
  • $IMG_1421.JPG
    $IMG_1421.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
a few more shots and one with the restored razor sitting with one of it's original cousins for comparison.
This razor has such a solid feel in the hand.

Attachments

• $IMG_1423.JPG
    $IMG_1423.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 296
  • $IMG_1419.JPG
    $IMG_1419.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 297
  • $IMG_1435.JPG
    $IMG_1435.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
The razor looks better than new if that's possible. Great work and very nice pictures too. I see another pic of these magnificent straights and I'm going to convert from DE.

The razor looks better than new if that's possible. Great work and very nice pictures too. I see another pic of these magnificent straights and I'm going to convert from DE.

Thanks guys,
Well if you don't want to be tempted you had better leave this area quickly as more and more beautiful blades have a habit of showing up!
But , go ahead,, get one, you know you really want one, don't you? Give your AD free reign.

Thanks guys,
Well if you don't want to be tempted you had better leave this area quickly as more and more beautiful blades have a habit of showing up!
But , go ahead,, get one, you know you really want one, don't you? Give your AD free reign.

Thanks Mark, I've already decided to make the transition to straights this September. Still have to decide on my first good razor though. I'm thinking about practicing with a local razor first.. they get awful reviews but a friend of a friend mass produces and exports straights. He said he would have one made for me to spec. I'll keep you posted about that.

As is my usual custom, I hone them up, and take at least one or two passes to see if it's right. It' s the only real way to know. These big ole' W&B's just have a such a solid feel to them, especially this one. Quiet, solid, just has that certain feel in your hand. Like a bank vault.
Thanks again guys. You know how to make my day.
Mark

Wow! I have got to get my 7/8 Barbers use rescaled! Damn fine job mycarver!

I agree. You just can't beat black horn, especially with these old Butchers!

Jon

That's a classy and understated razor.

That's exactly the kind of razor I wanted this to be. Just another outstanding example of mycarver's excellent work. I shaved with the razor this morning and fell in love with everything about it. Perfect heft and whisper quiet when cutting through the hairs. A true classic. Thank you again for the restore Mark.

Oh it was my pleasure. I really enjoyed working with you to bring your ideas to life. I'm so happy you enjoy it and it became the razor you hoped for.
Mark

Top Bottom