What's new

Egoiste

Bought a sample of Egoiste from Archerfire (thanks, Archerfire!) but am confused with my first application. Despite Basenotes, despite Style Form, despite many comments, all I get is rose! A very nice rose, but am not picking up much else. Thoughts?

Actually opens up with rosewood, has some Bulgarian rose, carnation and cinnamon in the heart, vanilla and sandalwood in the base.

Whenever many of us first try a scent, there is usually something which makes a strong first impression. In your case that's the rose. If you wear it a few times, you'll pick up other stuff as the day progresses.

It's one of my favorites. The opening is a bit intense, but it settles nicely into a sort of candied fruit sort of scent which makes seem more modern than it is.

Yeah, if you don't love both rose and sandalwood, Egoiste would be a waste of money. It has them both in spades.

Stylin is right about the sweetish drydown, also. For a fragrance that doesn't have an overabundance of notes, it doesn't strike me as linear.

I keep sampling this because of how many people seem to love this scent, and that it might click with me one of these times.

I'm not sure how to describe what it smells like on me yet, but it does smell unusual but not in an enjoyable way. I'm going to give it one more go soon and see how I react before moving on.

I heard someone describe the difference between a scent and a perfume. A scent is linear and smells the same from beginning to end. A perfume evolves from top, heart, drydown. Egoiste is an amazing perfume.

As often as not I smell something others on Basenotes do not. As with everything, YMMV. BN is a good aid, but that is all as far as I'm concerned. I like Egoiste as well.

Trying Egoiste again this morning. Sprayed on the wrist 20 minutes ago. Very nice Serge Lutens style rose so far. Waiting for something different to happen.

It's all really funny, because I don't get much rose at all, but then I have the Concentree. But still, I don't get much rose. Instead I get a slightly floral but mostly jammy stewed fruit with woody notes. I love it but my wife doesn't. Of the myriad perfumes I have, my wife has commented on only two: she loves GIT and she doesn't like Egoiste. The rest are in purgatory.

Today I decided to "really" apply Egoiste rather than just spraying a bit on a wrist. Now I am getting it, though haven't got past the rose phase yet. Rather like a not-so-spicy Ungaro III.

I flat out love Egoiste. I have the vintage version and the nearly extinct Concentree and enjoy each immensely. This scent is in my top five favorites.

This frag is hit or miss. I bought a bottle many years ago and could not stand it. I tried it again a few years ago and bingo. I am sold. I like it very much.

I tried it a couple of years ago and didn't like it. Looks like I'll have to try it again. Wouldn't be the first time I've changed my mind about a frag.

Did my final test run with Egoiste. I will pass on pursuing a bottle. Very nice with a very nice rose (and I love rose) but vague throughout and very short lived.

Top Bottom