What's new

Open Comb vs. Closed Bar Razor razor

I just got this vintage Old Type Open Comb Gillette and ... WOW ! What a shave !
I usually shave with Merkur Futur as my everyday shaver and occasionally with my 'as old as me' Fatboy. I tried some other Closed Bar DE's, but THIS one is something completely different. I put a new Feathers in and got the softest and closest BBS shave ever !!! No burn even after ATG at second pass and some buffing here and there.
Is it an individual matter, or are Open Comb DE's generally closer shavers ?

Last edited:
I think it is more of an individual matter. And it all depends on which OC. For me, I used a 1922 Tuckaway OC and got an excellent BBS, with some minor irritation. I then tried a 1921-1928 OLD and also received a great shave with some minor irritation. But it wasn't until I used my 1950's SS (feathers) that I received true BBS WITHOUT any irritation.

I recently got a long comb and a short comb New head on BRW handles. I am disappointed that I have not been able to use them yet as I have gotten tied down with that silly aggressive vs mild experiment (R41 2011 vs Tech)... I'll be glad when that is over and I can try out both of these New (to me) razors.

I love my LC NEW. And my SC NEW. The LC seems to be the most intuitive razor I own. But I used my Red Tip today, and it gave a great shave also. I think the biggest single factor with any razor is the prep.

My razor's of choice are the Fat Handle TECH which falls under closed bar.
Second favorite Long Comb NEW which falls under open comb.
Third favorite Old style, again open comb.

I have come to the conclusion that I like non TTO (twist to open) shavers.

They certainly can be very close shavers. I think what you're experiencing in comparison to the two adjustables you mentioned is the difference in blade angle. The old type (and many open combs) force you into a very shallow shaving angle. As long as you get good blade bite on the hairs at the lower angles (and IMO that's a personal thing), you can get really close, irritation free shaves, because the blade is just skirting the skin, and has less of chance to irritate. Adjustables get more blade exposure by forcing a steeper angle, so you have a to be more careful shaving with them (particularly at the higher settings) to avoid irritation. Both can do great, but I do find the OC's a bit more forgiving (and for me, much more effective at getting close).

I just got this vintage Old Type Open Comb Gillette and ... WOW ! What a shave !
I usually shave with Merkur Futur as my everyday shaver and occasionally with my 'as old as me' Fatboy. I tried some other Closed Bar DE's, but THIS one is something completely different. I put a new Feathers in and got the softest and closest BBS shave ever !!! No burn even after ATG at second pass and some buffing here and there.
Is it an individual matter, or are Open Comb DE's generally closer shavers ?

Last edited:
As the saying goes, YMMV, but for me, I get the best shaves with open combs. I started with TTOs, as that was all I had ever used or seen used by my father, but now, I only use three piece heads.

I enjoy shaving with my 1958 Gillette Super Speed as its mild. My 1921 Gillette New Style with its open comb is more agressive yet I think I could shave with either one. They both give a close shave and not as agressive as my 1890 Bannister straight. DM

Top Bottom