What's new

***NEW*** Proraso Red with Sandalwood Oil and Shea Butter

I'll provide a detailed review with pictures next week, but let me say this: it's a marvelous cream with a unique, manly and highly interesting scent. Fantastic!

I like the scent, but I noticed some things about it: One, it seems thinner than Proraso Green - it nearly falls out of the tube, where I have to squeeze the Green out. Two, it seemed thick on my face; it sort of gummed up my razor a bit. Decent shave, lathers up fine, just feels heavier than the Green version. Anyone else notice this? It could be my noobishness coming through.

I like the scent, but I noticed some things about it: One, it seems thinner than Proraso Green - it nearly falls out of the tube, where I have to squeeze the Green out. Two, it seemed thick on my face; it sort of gummed up my razor a bit. Decent shave, lathers up fine, just feels heavier than the Green version. Anyone else notice this? It could be my noobishness coming through.

I agree with it being thinner out of the tube.

If it is gunking up your razor you need more water. I face lather so I seldom have this 'issue' but if I notice the cream being thick on my razor I will dip my brush in water and thin the lather on my face a little.

Where is a site where I can get this in the USA? The few I have checked that stock it are sold out. If I used ebay would I run into any issues with customs?

Just received it from Maguire on ebay. Just did a trial lather. I love the lather and the scent seems quite nice too. Cant wait for the shave tomorrow.

Just got mine from Italian Barber. Scent not as sandalwoody as I'd hoped (been using TOB sandalwood), but great slick stuff. Got a 2nd red for my brother, the green, and some marvis while I was ordering.
$ItalianBarberOrder.jpg
As always, Italian Barber was great to order from.

If it's not like TOBS Sandalwood, I may be interested. The only 'Sandalwood' I've liked so far is EJ's. Can somebody comment on the scent of the red Proraso with comparison with some other ones (I've tried T&H, TOBS, EJ, GFT, C&E)?

Proraso smells nothing like TOBS, in fact it smells nothing like any of the creams in your list. Here is a quick breakdown of the scents:

Proraso: very strong woodsy/earthy scent, smells like someone grated some tree bark into the cream.
TOBS: sweet scent, also quite strong. Maybe some cinnamon in there? The Vulfix sandalwood is the closest to TOBS, except that Vulfix is much sweeter.
AoS, T&H, GFT: I'm grouping these because they all fall into the cologne type scents, musky if you will. My favorite, scent-wise, if GFT. It has a darker, woodsy feel to it. Although not the tree bark woodsy of Proraso. T&H and AoS are nice, but just smell like cologne to me. Many people like them, but I'm not a fan.
I've never tried EJ or C&E.

Received mine last week from the eBay vendor. I can't stand the stuff and already shipped it off to a B&B buddy. I don't like the smokey woodsy scent. I'll stick with the Proraso green. I love the fresh barbershop scent with the hint of menthol.

The Proraso sandalwood is a "real" sandalwood scent. The fact that they were able to put this out is worthy of applaud in my opinion. It's not the creamy, buttery high-quality of a superior Mysore sandal aroma, but it's wonderful anyway. Smells almost like my string of sandalwood beads from India, especially when lathered.

Adjust your expectations away from a "cologne scent" and you'll start to appreciate it. But if a cologne scent is what you want/expect, look elsewhere.

Looks fantastic, this can be found on eBay and I intend to purchase some soon. I also found it on Italian Barber which was a new site for me. I am loving it!

Last edited:
Where is a site where I can get this in the USA? The few I have checked that stock it are sold out. If I used ebay would I run into any issues with customs?

Just as an FYI, if buying internationally on eBay, you won't run into customs issues as long as the item is shipped via local post. Make sure that the seller DOES NOT ship via UPS or FedEx as they will levy very heavy customs brokerage fees on the buyer.

Its here!! Got home from a long shift at 1am and the box was waiting at the door. Ripped my uniform and vest off then hopped in shower while brush and razor sat in hot water. Used the usual raso pre shave cream then lathered up the red. I will not write a detailed review of my shave but I enjoyed the new scent. It was a much more natural sandalwood scent than GFT or TOBS. It was very similar to my Honeybee Gardens Sandalwood AS Splash. If you are expecting a designer sandalwood fragrance you may be thrown off a bit by what you get.

The product performed just as well as I hoped for. I can not advise if the shea butter added to the end result as I used an Astra Super Stainless for the first time the previous shave instead of my trusted Astr SP, and my skin was still irritated from the poor result.

Thanks to italianbarber.com for stocking the product and shipping to USA!

Last edited:
The Muhle and Edwin Jagger sandalwood are the best I have ever smelled. They really have no equal in my opinion. They come in similar containers and are probably manufactured by the same company. However, the Edwin Jagger costs less. I have tried all the other sandalwood brands mentioned and more because this is my preferred scent. I am looking forward to trying the Proraso product.

Please post a comparison, Gammaray. I agree with you, the EJ/Mühle sandalwood has no equal, and I would love to know how the Proraso red smells compared to EJ. By the way, EJ/Mühle are the exact same product, sold under different brands. Which is the cheaper one depends where you shop.

Top Bottom