What's new

Shave Jelly - I'm a convert for life

These non-foaming gels and creams can perform really well, the thing that makes them inferior IMO is that they just are not as convenient as having a brush handy to re-apply lather.

I used to use a non-foaming cream, and it was annoying to have to get this stuff on my hands, apply to my face, and have to rinse my hands over and over between passes. It really got cumbersome and made the shaves much longer and tiring.

If you shave in the shower, I guess that's not a problem though. Glad you like it. :001_smile

I have used a cheaper generic form of this from the dollar store....On the Go? Freeze shave gel. Aloe is 3rd ingredient but goes on like a thick gel. I will say that I get the best shave from this stuff. It is super slick and doesnt clog the razor. I use it when I am in a hurry and for a buck you cant go wrong. Of course it probably doesnt compare to this stuff but I can only imagine how well it does work. Now of course I do enjoy the ritual side of shaving so the brush and soaps arent going anywhere but if I did give up the ritual this would probably be product of choice.

I would try this stuff, why not?

Most of us came here in search of a better shave so why not try things out?

OK, but how does it go on? How does it feel? Does it rinse off easily? Clog the razor? Dry out or moisturize the skin?
Any cushioning?
It's roughly the consistency of fruit jelly, maybe a tiny bit thinner. With one finger I can scoop out enough for one pass. It spreads easily and it's a little cold at first, but it stabilizes with skin temperature in moments. It rinses off nearly instantly, and is of course water-soluble and I simply can't clog my razor with this stuff. As in my first post, I believe I made it pretty clear that this stuff is extremely moisturizing, far more than soap. What I also like is after a pass, there's still just enough left to smear around and touch up those rough spots around my chin.

As for this "cushioning" thing, I'm afraid I've never really understood what that implies. To me, a cushion is something to absorb impact. Something that absorbs impact is a barrier. A barrier is a gap. A gap means the razor isn't touching the skin surface. Not touching the skin surface means no BBS. I'll reiterate that there's tons and tons of lubrication, and really, that along with the delicate and precise control of a featherlight razor is all I need to get BBS day in and day out.

I'll go ahead and say that jelly provides adequate cushion as long as you don't shave like a butcher, but like I said I don't feel like I know what you guys mean by that term.

I'd try this stuff. It looks like it would be very good for the skin, particularly folks with dry skin.
Of course, it wouldn't be half as fun as lathering up with a good brush and soap/cream, but I bet it feels great.

I sometimes use a Latherless/Brushless Shave Cream that is very moisturizing and slick, it is a nice change from brushes and is great for traveling light. Most shavers here are immediately turned off to any Latherless/brushless products, a little sad so many would be close-minded to trying something, not for everyday shaves but as an occasional change in your Diet so to speak. If we had this mindset for some other shaving products, like blades, Lathering Soaps (Gold Dachs flakes) or Creams (Dr. Selby's because it's not soft/creamy), we might miss out on some very nice additions to our Shave Dens.

BTW a link would be helpful to those who are willing to try some Jelly.

this looks AWESOME, i am trying this as soon as i've actually received and tried the other 8 things i have on the way

thanks for posting, would not have found this otherwise. will submit results and review of course :D

I "might" give it a try, after some others have used it and reviewed it. Though I would find it odd when someone asked me what I was doing and told them "Shavin' the jelly, dude." :eek2:

Top Bottom