What's new

Shave Jelly - I'm a convert for life

I've got the Nevermore Whiskey one. It only has whiskey hint, but it smells fantastic.
I also got some from Tree and Sapling on Etsy (the name escapes me now).

They both work really well.

My prep is the same as usual, as in that I shave after a shower when the beard is nice and soft.

It goes on clear but that's not a big issue. It provides all the cushion and glide I need. My only criticism (aside from it being clear) is that it takes away the whole pleasurable shaving with a brush and whipping up a lather. As a product, they seem to be excellent, and whenever I don't feel like a long shave or just don't have much time, I will use the jellies knowing I'm guaranteed a great shave.

I've used them with a slant, and although I haven't used a traditional straight (just to inform the purists), I've also used a Kai Captain folding and a non-folding Feather RG straight razor with each. Works really well.

I'll give it a try. Having nearly died last summer, I strive even harder to find better products and ways of do anything, especially shaving. Would be neat to mix it into my routine.

Interesting post. It prompted me to try a similar aloe based shave gel available at Dollar Tree. Very slick product by itself but I like to use a brush and it does lather but not like a soap or cream. I have used it with soaps and creams and it really works great to improve the slickness and lather cushion of the shave. Only a small amount is needed, like the size of a pea. It is not for the traditional shaving purist. I go with whatever works. This stuff works. It is available in a 5 ounce tube for a dollar plus tax. It can be purchased in a case quantity of 24 tubes shipped to the Dollar Tree store free for pickup. For $25 and change you get 120 ounces (8 ounces short of a gallon). I also like dealing with 5 ounce tubes versus a huge bulk container, which has a greater chance of contamination. Here is a post regarding this product.http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/27727-Dollar-Tree-Shaving-Gel

I used the Portland General Store Alpine Jelly this morning. It looks sort of like Vicks Vaporub, but more wobbly.

Prep: Hot shower (I shave in the shower). Razor: Gillette Slim adjusted to 7. Blade: Astra SP, 2nd use.

This stuff is invisible. After the first pass, you won't have your stubble to show you where you've been, so just keep a mental note of where you are. If you're using a DE, I don't think this would be for beginners; you had better have your technique down.

I found this not to be very slick, and actually sticky at times, so I had to rinse the blade more often than usual. When I was done with three passes, my face felt sticky, so I used a face wash to get rid of the residue.

What was the result? A soft, BBS face, amazingly enough. A thorough scrub with Block Osma revealed...nothing.

So, it works, but it wasn't the most enjoyable shave. I wouldn't use it with a multiblade cartridge, and definitely don't use a brush!

I still use this jelly religiously to this day. Just wanted to add - in the first few months I've discovered that I get the best results when I do *not* rinse my face in between my two passes. This product is already mostly water after all, so to only add more water is merely diluting it, and thusly diluting it's effectiveness.

The extent of my experimentation nowadays is limited to various scented oils, strictly for enjoyment and not out of any functional necessity. Right now I'm working through a jar scented with a few drops of this perfume absolute and I gotta say, holy schnitzel does this take shaving to a whole new level!

Has no one mentioned using it with a straight? You're getting immense slickness which you need for a straight and with it being transparent you can see how to maneuver around your face. Only issue I'd see, which can be remedied by rubbing your fingertips on an alum block, is how to keep the skin taut while shaving.

OK, Bubblehead, now you've gone and done it: I broke my almost two-year shaving purchase sabbatical because I just had to order a 16 oz. jar to try for myself. :laugh:

I love using brushes, creams, and soaps as much as the next guy here, but I'm in this for quality, not luxury (although luxury is nice too). If there is a product out there that gives great shaves and can slim down my travel kit, I'm game for trying it. I'll report back once I receive my jelly and get a few shaves in with it. Because this is for SCIENCE, I'll try it with my DE and with a cartridge.

My 16 oz. tub of shave jelly arrived today (for those who missed the links earlier, you can buy it here: http://www.essentialwholesale.com//product/1028/shaving-jelly). Of course I opened it to check it out and it is weird stuff indeed: very, very slick and has a strange chemical/aloe scent. If I didn't know it was for shaving, I would suspect it had a completely different use, if you know what I mean. Anyway, I managed to coax some into a 3 oz. travel bottle so that I don't contaminate the whole tub with my fingers and I will be trying the jelly for tomorrow's shave.

$Astroglide-logo.jpg

Astroglide? LOL! I've never used or even seen that stuff, but I think I can see the potential to mistake this for a "personal lubricant".

Humor out of the way, I recently had to stop the shower shaving; my water heater just won't last more than 5-6 minutes, and I finally had to admit to myself that that's clearly not long enough for a shampoo, body wash scrubdown, shampoo repeat and then shave. So, back to sink-shaving I went and it's actually turned out very well. I prefer to towel-dry my face before applying, because as I said earlier, this stuff works best when it's not diluted with any additional water, no rinsing or even the initial wetdown.

My ladyfriend tried it, too. She promptly threw out her Skintimate aerosol crap and requested a half gallon. :o13:

Will report back on the personal lubricant use!

Just kidding. I'll spare B&B the Penthouse letters.

This is just shaving gel -canned goo in a tub except you don't have to squirt it. I'll pass but hey if it works for you, good.

Actually, the feel of this stuff is significantly different than canned foam or gel.

EDIT: I can totally understand not digging it, though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom