What's new

Shave Jelly - I'm a convert for life

Thanks for this thread, Bubblehead.
I admit that I am a very infrequent visitor to the Shaving Cream subforum, but this is a reminder for me to check in more often.

For some reason, the luxury factor of the brush and lathering products has a hold over many.

I was sort of a fanboy of Lucky Tiger Molle for a while. Its consistency is almost like Noxzema cleansing cream and it does not lather,
but the smooth shave and ultra moisturizing quality is much like you describe with the jelly. Yet, the fact that it won't work with a brush
makes it a non-starter for more than I expected.

Time to try out da jelly.

So anyone down for the 55 gallon group buy? :p

Maybe it's for people that are rebranding it and selling it as their own?

I could see using it when I was in a rush. However, I think that part of what makes Wet shaving fun is making lather with my brush... But for Travel/rush shaving I would be willing to try it. I don't think I need 55 gallons though... (I do think that would put anyone's shave den to shame.)

Your post was nearly a year ago. What is your opinion after a year? I just ordered some sample packs to do some testing for the barber shop.

I recall it being a clear scentless jelly, I hydrated and applied a thin coating that remained transparent, slick & protective. The shaves were event-free & enjoyable, my skin felt moisturized and smooth without any tightness, I prefer the Stephan Stay Smooth latherless SC for slickness & better moisturizing qualities. IMO either product is much better than 99% of canned lather, my exceptions are Aveeno & Barbasol Aloe, and great for travel or a quick shave/touch-up before going out.

What does it smell like ? Does it smell anything like as good as Mike's Natural in all its scenty goodnesses ?

If not, it can leave.

I recall it being a clear Scentless jelly, I hydrated and applied a thin coating that remained transparent, slick & protective. The shaves were event-free & enjoyable, my skin felt moisturized and smooth without any tightness, I prefer the Stephan Stay Smooth latherless SC for slickness & better moisturizing qualities. IMO either product is much better than 99% of canned lather, my exceptions are Aveeno & Barbasol Aloe, and great for travel or a quick shave/touch-up before going out.

What does it smell like ? Does it smell anything like as good as Mike's Natural in all its scenty goodnesses ?

If not, it can leave.

nothing noticeable ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I just noticed that this thread is still going after a year. In case anyone reading this is curious, I still use shave jelly on a regular basis. I get it from another retailer though, since Farm Fresh Organics' prices aren't that fresh. I like to dump some jelly in an 8 ounce pump bottle and mix in a few drops of fragrance oil to cover up the jelly's weird natural scent, most often this oil because it makes this poor boy feel rich. :laugh: It's actually shocking how moisturizing that jelly really is, too. After noticing how ridiculously moisturized my skin gets afterward, I will state for the record that this is the product that made me finally ditch soap once and for all.

Seems like an interesting option, but I'm to narrow minded to try it at this moment... but I might give it a shot in the future.

Anybody remember Riddick shaving his head with what looks like axle grease?

This stuff really does sound amazing. I have some on the way. I can't wait to compare it to Cremo Cream.

My dad uses a dollar store knock of of something very similiar and to be honest the stuff is amazing. I gave a tube to me and I do get the best shaves hands down. Now its not fun at all and hate applying product with my hands so its a no go. Dad still uses it and I do every now and then for a super close shave.

I just noticed that this thread is still going after a year. In case anyone reading this is curious, I still use shave jelly on a regular basis. I get it from another retailer though, since Farm Fresh Organics' prices aren't that fresh. I like to dump some jelly in an 8 ounce pump bottle and mix in a few drops of fragrance oil to cover up the jelly's weird natural scent, most often this oil because it makes this poor boy feel rich. :laugh: It's actually shocking how moisturizing that jelly really is, too. After noticing how ridiculously moisturized my skin gets afterward, I will state for the record that this is the product that made me finally ditch soap once and for all.

Here is a hint for you... check out the ingredients of the RazoRock professional shave lube... with the addition of essential oil:001_smile

I'm not getting all the hostility towards the OP...jeeze...if you guys dont want to try it so be it but why get nasty? I bet it would be great in a low water environment like when backpacking. I may grab some for this summers camping. Great post.

I'm not getting all the hostility towards the OP...jeeze...if you guys dont want to try it so be it but why get nasty? I bet it would be great in a low water environment like when backpacking. I may grab some for this summers camping. Great post.

I haven't seen any hostility, at least not in this years posts (the thread is from 2012...), however many seem to be somewhat cautious, but hostile? Nonetheless an interesting concept.

I haven't seen any hostility, at least not in this years posts (the thread is from 2012...), however many seem to be somewhat cautious, but hostile? Nonetheless an interesting concept.

Some of the older posts were somewhat negative, a few believe there is nothing that beats a brush & soap/cream. I always look for the most comfortable & trouble-free shave and don't mind expanding my choices. I enjoyed the samples of Shave Jelly I bought last year, but as the OP stated, the cost kept me from buying more. I prefer the Stephan Stay Smooth Lather-less SC, ~$5.25 for 16ozs @ Appleton Barber Supply, but @ $10.00 Flat-Rate shipping I'd need to have decent size order to make shipping worthwhile .

Top Bottom