What's new

SHAVE CLINIC - Stopping the flow of red ...

On the rare occasions that I nick myself, a small piece of toilet paper does the job.

Just take it off before you go out.

I havent had a styptic pencil since I was 17

I've found the RazoRock alum stick to be an excellent product for taming those weepers we all encounter occasionally. Very simple to use - just wet the end with cold water, and sweep across the affected area, re-wetting as needed. Comes with a screw-on top, so it's a tidy addition to the shaving den.

I am a newbie...and that was a great article I can tell you spent a lot of time putting that together..
I say THANK YOU...
looking forward to dropping the gillette triple throw aways and starting back to the way my Dad showed me probably 47 years ago...

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of help I am in need of - being new to DE shaving it is definitely a concern

Very informative article. I would like to add however that for those of us with sensitive skin the best remedies are: using a cold water compress, a styptic pencil that precisely treats the cut in a localized manner without spreading the substance all over the face or the kleenex trick used by our fathers and grandfathers. As some one who suffers from rosacea and hyper-sensitive skin, I once used an alum block and my face lit up like a Christmas tree. Alum blocks and witch hazel are definite irritants and should be used with caution by people with skin conditions and sensitivities. I miss my high school days when I used to splash after shave on my face and get that crisp clean burn sensation, can't do that anymore. Lol. Anyways, again good article and I recommend it for Wiki..Happy Shaving. Sam.

Good article! I have a question about styptic pencils though. I use one and afterward, rinse and dry it. Or at least I try to dry it. But the pencil almost immediately begins to erode and become very fragile. How do I prevent this? I have wrapped it in tissue before but that made it far worse! Right now, after rinsing and drying I have just been letting it continue to air dry...but it still become fragile very soon after the 2nd or 3rd use.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
post and very informative!!!

attachment.php
"Don't worry about the [cuts,weepers and] nicks and pick up your life...forget all the bad things, the pain and the strife". Author Unknown

Good article! I have a question about styptic pencils though. I use one and afterward, rinse and dry it. Or at least I try to dry it. But the pencil almost immediately begins to erode and become very fragile. How do I prevent this? I have wrapped it in tissue before but that made it far worse! Right now, after rinsing and drying I have just been letting it continue to air dry...but it still become fragile very soon after the 2nd or 3rd use.

Well due to the fact that you want them to have some level of porousness to allow the alum to leech from the pencil to your face with water that issue is normal for styptic pencils.
These are no more than alum powder that is highly compressed to create the pencil so there are some limitations to the life span with normal use.
If you want a few more tips on how to make them last longer, here are some interesting ones.

1. Use a blow dryer very briefly with the pencil resting on a small dry washcloth and gently allow hot air to blow across the pencil for about 30 seconds to accelerate drying.

2. If you have a protective sleeve that comes with the pencil, use it, and place the flat side down in the bottom of the sleeve after drying. That will prevent any remaining moisture from causing a caking at the tip.

3. Store the pencil outside the bathroom in a dry place each day until you are ready to shave. That will also reduce the issue of breakdown due to moisture from general bathroom use.

This will help minimize but not eliminate the breakdown of the pencil. The pencil by nature will breakdown with water so that you can get a quick application of Alum when you need it.

I hope this helps.

Top Bottom