What's new

SHAVE CLINIC - Stopping the flow of red ...

Since I posted this, someone asked where the Proraso gel could be found. Gary over at Shoebox has it. That is where I purchased my tube.

http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/proraso-stypic-gel.htm

I switched over completely from the styptic pencil to the styptic gel. It works faster and on larger cuts than the pencil and leaves no white residue. Picked mine up at Pasteur's in NYC without really knowing what it was and now won't travel without it.

Great write up, btw. Always learn stuff in your posts.

I find col. conk stypic pencil to work excellent on stopping "the flow of red" The first 2-3 seconds it burns like ##"%"#, but then it simply stops the bleeding.

Great overview of the products available, I grew up with my shavers in the family using Clubman spetic sticks. When I started shaving in the 7th grade I got a Shick injector handle a set of blades and Clubman spetic stick and a Red Can of Barbarsol.

Excellent article, very informative, the way you placed all the remedies together.

However, you did not mention the old kleenex tissue trick from our fathers days. Remember the little white square with a red dot in its center.......And its kind of nostalgic for me to use a kleenex for a slight nick on the upper face because it reminds me of my late father's remedy for cuts and me watching in awe, when I was a kid, as the kleenex absorbed the blood and prevented further bleeding. Happy Shaving. Sam.

I would highly recommend that you guys consider getting an alum block. If you live in a large town, they'll have Indian stores and they sell alum blocks for 1.50 a piece! Don't think spending anywhere from 5-20 buck is going to make it better. It's all the same stuff!

A handy thread tonight... thanks for reminding me it was here GD...

Kneeling down full weight UN top of a curled cut off edge and embedding it your knee made for more of a cut then the usual but keeping it clean and using something to keep out the nasties... thought I didn't have need of this stuff anymore lol you never know what can come up... specially when trying out something new

Great article!

Great post. Thanks. You might also mention the single use alum "matches" that come in books of 20 matches. Handy for the travel kit.

Great post. Thanks. You might also mention the single use alum "matches" that come in books of 20 matches. Handy for the travel kit.

True. They have really begun to catch on of late. When I wrote this, they were not as well known but now it seems these are becoming more available with the vendors.

proxy.php

I mentioned styptics to my son and he paused for several seconds, got up and came back with a smallish jar of Kwik Stop Styptic Powder with Benzocaine he got when he got his rescue dog from the pound. The dogs nails were very long and the vet had clipped them but the quick had grown out to far to allow normal trimming so he was given the jar of powder to stop the bleeding.

My son couldn't cope with having to cut the dogs nails so he never opened it but after reading this thread and getting a really nice bleeder the other day, I had him bring the jar over with him so i could give it a try. Yes, I understand that this is for pets, not people but the MSDS shows the exact same stuff as other styptic powders plus a little something called Benzocaine.

I dabbed a whetted Q-tip into the powder and got just a tiny bit on the end, placed against that bleeder that I opened again the next day and held it there waiting for the sting...

Nothing. The Benzocaine took the pain away, no sting, the bleeding stopped right away and I didn't have any white powder on my face for my wife to kiss off.

YMMV, Dave

I'm still using a can of powdered alum I bought around 1965. Back then it was sold in the shaving isle. Only a little left so I save it for the real cuts. For the occasional weeper, I just use McCormick Alum from the grocery spice isle. It's more of a crystal than a powder, but a little on a wet finger still does the job.

Top Bottom