What's new

2012 MLB Season Thread

I don't know if there is a thread like this but I thought it would be cool to see who everyone thinks will win the World Series, MVP's, Cy Young... Or just general talk about the 2012 season.

Myself I can't wait for opening day and watch the Cards defend their title. Especially since we got Wainwright back. I really hate I that Albert left but I'm glad they didn't handcuff themselves to that contract for that long. We still have a very good team. I think we have a very good chance of repeating especially if Carpenter and Wainwright stay healthy. I think Matheny has a good chance at manager of the year in the NL also because they are going to win the division.

Make a case for your team or let's hear your predictions.

It's a shame that this year isn't kicking off with the Reds. Anyway, I don't follow the AL very well, but I'll try with the NL.

MVP - Votto
If one of the righties picks up the slack with some power (Rolen) that can hit 4th behind him, with Albert and Prince both gone, it's between him, Kemp, and Tulowitzki. Braun lost a ton of weight from "illness." I think Votto is a better and more consistent hitter of the three, and with a little power boost that he lost last year from not seeing good pitches, his OPS should be top again, and with a team that should make the playoffs, it is his year again.

Cy Young - Clayton Kershaw for no other reason than he's damned good

World Series - Cincinnati Reds for no other reason than I am moving this summer
Tampa Bay, why not

Well Matt, it looks like you and I will have to have a good, old fashioned rivalry going since I am a die hard Rangers fan. Good luck with the season...maybe we'll meet up again and the Rangers will take it this time!

I just came back from Arizona and saw the Angels, Reds, and Mariners play the White Sox. The most impressive player was Pujols. Up twice and two home runs! He has an incredibly smooth swing.

One thing I have noticed is the number of injuries in the pre-season. My beloved Rays have some as do some other teams. Makes me wonder what programs, if any, the trainers have to prevent all of these injuries.

Man I have been watching Albert for 10 years and I don't care what anybody says there has not been a better hitter to ever play the game. It was a sad day for the cards when Albert and Larussa left. I was at the game 2009 when he hit a grand slam against the Cubs for his 1000th RBI. I have never heard anything so loud in my life.

I look forward to seeing if Darvish is going to be as good as they say he is.

I would love to also see Wainwright come back and win the Cy Young his first year back from TJ surgery. I wonder if that has ever been done. I think Madison Bumgardener is going to have a break out year this year after the way he preformed last year. If the giants can score more runs they are going to be hard to beat. Lincecum, Cain, Vogelsong, Bumgardener that is rivaling the Phillies in production.

Should be a good year...My Brewers still looking strong, Larussa retired(not a single person I hated more in baseball than that guy) and Pujols is out of the NL central!

Im interested in seeing what Matt Moore from the Rays can do this year. They are really talking up the prospect. And Bryce Harper for the Nationals.

Cy Young: Kershaw/ Verlander
MVP: Cabrera/ Votto
Rookie of the year: Darvish or Matt Moore/ Bryce Harper or Yonder Alonso.

Lets go Blue Jays! They got the best uniforms if you exclude the classic uniforms: NYY, Boston, LA Dodgers, Chicago Cubs etc.

Let me make a prediction for AL Rookie of the Year: Brett Lawrie. Unless he gets injured for a long period of time, I don`t see him not winning it!

Hoping for another BIG year for Bautista also!

IMO the NL Central is the Reds' to lose after considering what the Brewers and Cardinals lost in the off-season. Though the blow of Madson will hurt them. What role will Chapman be used this year?

Last edited:
IMO the NL East is the Reds' to lose after considering what the Brewers and Cardinals lost in the off-season. Though the blow of Madson will hurt them. What role will Chapman be used this year?

ummm...East?

Chapman had a good spring, but injuries and the fact that Bailey is out of options forced him into the pen for now.

Lets go Blue Jays! They got the best uniforms if you exclude the classic uniforms: NYY, Boston, LA Dodgers, Chicago Cubs etc.

Let me make a prediction for AL Rookie of the Year: Brett Lawrie. Unless he gets injured for a long period of time, I don`t see him not winning it!

Hoping for another BIG year for Bautista also!

Lawrie is a great, young player but I believe his 150 ABs in 2011 exclude him from ROY eligibility this year.

Watch out for the Nats, they may surprise you this year. J. Zimmerman no restrictions, Strasberg back. R. Zimmerman happy with new contract. Loaded bull pen... I am excited this year. This will be the starting year for a promising future...
Lets go Nats

The central is the Reds' to lose? Seriously? What did they add except for a hurt pitcher?

I really hope the Jays can get into the playoffs this year. Second AL wild card spot?

Ill be Cheering for the Jays because I hate Bos and NYY (like the new unis/logo by the way) but its such a hard division. Maybe a wildcard but they arn't going to win that division.

Top Bottom