What's new

curve in the spine and blade

Looks like thats how it was made..my waterville razor is flat compared to this one which this razor has a slight curve..the tip area so far is still dull on one side...I also did circles of 50 on my dmt1200..it got better but went downhill for some odd reason
I had to angle the razor inward at an angle to get the tip to make contact...tip still gets dull though on 1 side only...is this a smiling curve on my razor?

Attachments

• $0327121455.jpg
    $0327121455.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Looks like the previous owner honed it in such a way as to cause heavy wear at the toe end of the edge and spine. You will need to hone it the same way. It's kind of a sweeping/rolling motion.

Jim

ugh!..really?...sweeping/rolling motion..how exactly?..man this is annoying..but a learning experience non the less...can it be shaved with like a regular straight razor?

Sure you can shave with it. To hone it, you'll need to use a x stroke, possibly with a very slight roll to accommodate the excessive toe wear.

Yes, it can be shaved with like any other razor. Just play with the honing a bit more on a regular 1K stone. You'll get it.

ugh!..really?...sweeping/rolling motion..how exactly?..man this is annoying..but a learning experience non the less...can it be shaved with like a regular straight razor?

the smile in my experience tends to give a nicer shave... especially under the chin and on the sides of the neck where the curve in the blade actually fits the negative curves of the neck better. you do need to lift the blade toward the end of the hone stroke slightly to get the toe.

the non stamped side..toe area is still dull..the otherside feels a bit sharper..though i could be wrong still...ugh!

I've had a few Morley and Sons and most have had some sort of uneven grind. This one shouldn't be a problem getting a good edge using x strokes.

Top Bottom