What's new

Why do you carry a pocket knife?

Okay, you enabled me good and proper.

I am one of those not used to carry a knife but I do struggle with packaging tape some times each week and prefer my apples sliced, so I just ordered myself a Leatherman Style CS as a keychain.

Hope it proves useful.

I carry mine for basically all the reasons stated before. Have even turned around the car a couple of miles down the road when I forget it. I use my kershaw for everything when needed from package opening to skinning and deboning. Even adds flavor to the fruit I carry with me that need to be sliced.

$eagle.jpg"Be Prepared" <=====that (the training stayed with me)

For those that don't carry a pocket knife, my guess is that they don't fish. Or camp or hike much. I must admit however, that when you don't leave the city much, a plain pocket knife is far less useful to a person. Enter the Swiss Army Knife - the essential tool for city dwellers with the addition of both phillips and regular screw drivers as well as other scrapers and mini-prybars. If you don't have a use for one of these, chances are you never leave your house.

I have a knife in my pocket most of the time (though not today, for some reason). I use it to cut open boxes of paper, cut food, I even used it once when I was stuck in the snow to cut branches off of a tree to put under my tires for traction.

When I was 11 my dad told me three things a man should always carry: A hanky, a good knife and a pistol. I am an electrician by trade so a knife is invaluable to me in my work. Around the house I use it to open letters, cut branches, fingernails, wire, twine...etc. Like a previous poster has said if you are not used to carrying one you probably don't see the value. If you work is not such that you need to cut things frequently it's probably the same. I feel naked with out one...so I usually carry 3, lol....

I find a hundred uses for the little two blade Bear I carry. I can't imagine not having a little knife in my pocket.

Like many others have said, my dad told me to always carry a pocket knife, they come in handy for so many things.
He also told me to always keep a quarter in my wallet at all times for a phone call, but since the payphone has gone the way of the dinosaur, the quarter is but a memory...

You know, the Opinel is worth a look. It's really more of a picnic knife or utility knife than a pocket knife, but they come in pretty small sizes. I have a carbon bladed #08, it's fairly substantial. They run about $9.oo It has a stainless coller tah must be turn to open, and turned again, locks the blade in place. A good, simple design that folk on this site would appreciate. I carry this as well as a titanium spork and some paper napkins in my backpack.

Wish I had got the stainless,because the carbon blade, while it takes a better edge, is more prone to staining.

Multi-tool Swiss Army knife is always in my pocket. The little scissors, bottle opener, can opener, cork screw, etc... are all handy. But the blade itself is used for a multitude of things. I used to carry a little pocket knife, and just for getting dirt out of fingernails was a good reason.

I also like to cut my apples to eat them.

i dont mean to be rude or insulting but ive always carried a knife but i dont think that they should be carried as a weapon knives are a tool not a weapon and we are not aloud to Carry knive in Australia because of the select group of idiots that use them as weapons

i dont think that any one should carry a knife it its not sharp i dont see the point depends on how good the steel is but i usualy go up to 4 k

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Anything can be a weapon. It is all about necessity and intent. I will cheerfully use a rolled magazine or a pen or whatever I got if I need to. Btw it would be most unfortunate to be stabbed with my nice solid metal Zebra F-701 ballpoint. Scissors? Hammer? Chainsaw? (ewww!) Your brain is your most potent weapon. And what is a weapon? It is a class of tool. It gets something done. In this case something unpleasant but something quite necessary. Should scissors be outlawed? Should the carrying or use of canes in public be met with public condemnation? What about women WB wear those deadly stiletto heels?

I have two that I use. The one I use around the horses is a Schrade Heritage. 4" closed, single blade. Sharp enough to walk through a lead rope on one cut. My dress knife is Puma Micro stag.

I don`t think anyone here plans on using their knife as a weapon :)

i dont mean to be rude or insulting but ive always carried a knife but i dont think that they should be carried as a weapon knives are a tool not a weapon and we are not aloud to Carry knive in Australia because of the select group of idiots that use them as weapons

i dont think that any one should carry a knife it its not sharp i dont see the point depends on how good the steel is but i usualy go up to 4 k

I don`t think anyone here plans on using their knife as a weapon :)
I don't plan on it, but that's one of the main reasons it is there. It's actually THE primary reason that my fighting-folders are designed the way they are. Extremely fast one hand opening, robust, positive locking, with a comfortable strong grip in multiple positions. Then AFTER that, it needs to cut salami and cheese well, slice my apples easily, open packages, and clean fish. My old timer is the real killer though. It kills TIME. Great at whittling wood, cleaning fingernails, and scraping my pipe.
Also, I can't believe an Aussie, from the same country as "That's not a knife...THIS is a knife" has such an odd attitude about self defense. Weird...
Brent.

i dont mean to be rude or insulting but ive always carried a knife but i dont think that they should be carried as a weapon. knives are a tool AND a weapon and we are not aloud to Carry knive in Australia because of the select group of idiots that use them &#8203; ILLEGALLY as weapons

How about bats, sticks, canes, broken bottles, rocks, bricks, cans of coke in a pillow case, bars of soap in a pillow case, piano wire, sharpened toothbrushes, silverware, pens and pencils, cars, frying pans, Grandma's china, tablesaw blades, guns, freeweights, wireless keyboards, folding chairs, or that nice stainless steel thermos that Starbucks sells?
Brent.

I'm with slash I almost always have a zebra pen on me and a for a knife I carry a Benchmade d2 nitrous Stryker or a Spyderco Delica 2. They are both fairly big blades and the Benchmade is a open assisted. I have gotten some pretty funny looks when flicking the BM open to clean something out from under my fingernail. Anything could be used as a potential weapon.

Legion

Staff member
I don't plan on it, but that's one of the main reasons it is there. It's actually THE primary reason that my fighting-folders are designed the way they are. Extremely fast one hand opening, robust, positive locking, with a comfortable strong grip in multiple positions. Then AFTER that, it needs to cut salami and cheese well, slice my apples easily, open packages, and clean fish. My old timer is the real killer though. It kills TIME. Great at whittling wood, cleaning fingernails, and scraping my pipe.
Also, I can't believe an Aussie, from the same country as "That's not a knife...THIS is a knife" has such an odd attitude about self defense. Weird...
Brent.

Because a very small minority here have committed knife crimes, and now the rest of us are banned from carrying even the smallest Swiss army knife on our key chain. Self defence is not the issue. We can't even carry knives which are meant to be a tool, like Kirk said.

I don't feel like I need a knife for defence. I have two hands, and a fair bit of training, which should be more than adequate here in Australia, since our baddies don't usually have firearms. I just want a small blade for opening packages, cutting string, and other useful chores. Because of a handful of morons I am now not allowed to have even that.

Top Bottom