What's new

Why do you carry a pocket knife?

Legion

Staff member
I carry a SAK a fair bit. I'll admit, the bottle opener probably gets used more than the blade, but that is just me.

I think Miles hit it on the head. They can be used for almost anything you need. I carry two, a full size folder and a little Swiss Army Knife, but invariably my little Victorinox Classic SD sees most of the day to day use.

Jay

I use my Victorinox every day for just about everything under the sun. I'm thinking about making a bracket and using it for a bayonet on my 357 snubby. ;-}

Truly a handy thing to carry. I've used them for almost 30 years. Like a microwave, you don't realize how much you will use one until you get one. In a previous life, I carried one in my suit daily - no load, no print, maximum utility. I am a pyrotechnician now and I'm forever using it in the field for small adjustments to things. It opens packages, breaks down boxes, trims fingernails, clips fuses, changes batteries in little boxes that are hard to otherwise open, etc. I've worn one out, lost two, and am on my fourth one. There was a sale on them about 10 years ago and I bought a half dozen so I would never have to look for one again.

Last edited:
I carry a Kershaw and bc no man worth his weight would ever be caught without a knife , hankerchief and in certain circumstances a Glock

Carrying a knife is as normal to me as carrying my wallet and car keys. If you start carrying one on a daily basis, you'd probably be surprised how much you'll end up using it. Mine comes out atleast a couple times a day because it's the best tool for the job at that point in time.

Do you really find yourself using it that often? I keep a pair of scissors in my car's glovebox for opening packages when out and about, but I don't find myself in other situations where I really need a pocketknife.

But they look really cool, and threads with awesome pictures of pocket knives make me want one even if I don't really need one. Go ahead, B&B, fuel my AD!!! :001_tongu

I usually have a pocketknife handy (typically one in each car and one in my laptop bag). I have a single blade Gerber that I have had since I was a teenager, a few SAK's, another Gerber, and a SOG. They don't get a lot of use, but that's not the point. When the time comes and you get the opportunity to use it, you're glad you've got it.

Similarly, I don't change a tire, shoot a gun, or build a fire very often but I'm glad I know how.

as an office worker my leatherman micra sees a fair bit of action from lunch, beers to the scissors and screwdriver a lot and its not threatening enough to disturb the easily disturbed

"The properly dressed man always carries a knife, comb and handkerchief and wears a belt." - Grandpa ~1970 when I got my first knife.

I use mine to open up boxes and packaging. Last night, I had to open up my wife's Android phone to pop the battery out (her phone was locked up). And I didn't find a button to open the case like some phones have, so I just slid my small blade under it and popped it off. Used it as a wedge basically. I also use it sometimes to cut rope when hauling things in the pickup truck. I have a Frost Cutlery 'Bear Trapper' that came from my uncle. He passed away last year and was a knife collector. My mom said he had about 100 pocket knives NIB in his cabin. I usually use a Swiss Army Knife but I lost mine a few years ago.

$FBB108OXH1.jpg

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
I use mine to open up boxes and packaging. Last night, I had to open up my wife's Android phone to pop the battery out (her phone was locked up). And I didn't find a button to open the case like some phones have, so I just slid my small blade under it and popped it off. Used it as a wedge basically. I also use it sometimes to cut rope when hauling things in the pickup truck. I have a Frost Cutlery 'Bear Trapper' that came from my uncle. He passed away last year and was a knife collector. My mom said he had about 100 pocket knives NIB in his cabin. I usually use a Swiss Army Knife but I lost mine a few years ago.

View attachment 231716

Do you use the castrating blade much?

i usually keep a little swiss army knife with me or around me and it comes in handy nearly every day. i would highly recommend one over just any plain old flip open knife because of how versatile it is.

I use one on a daily basis. I work in a chemical plant and some days I use it lots, others, maybe just the stray letter. My knife AD dwarfs any shaving supplies binge I've ever been on but it's just a hobby at this point. My daily carry knives are usually Les George, Great Eastern, Chris Reeves, or Ernest Emerson models of various sorts. The Case knives aren't for carry, but mostly because those are from the 90's and earlier when I was into collecting a medium stag stockman from every year I could get my hands on. My grandfather would help me hunt them down on weekends so they're worth more than anyone would ever offer.

If you're opposed to carrying a "big" knife, at least consider the SwissTech Utili-Key, Micra, Swiss army keychain knife, or maybe a Peanut. If you get used to having a blade of any sort on you I bet you'll never go back.

Thanks for the very thorough post, Miles.

How do you sharpen the blades?

Here in Denmark it is illegal to carry blades that lock, so they`re always quite wobbly when trying to sharpen them.

I use mine to open mail, boxes, things like that. But the real reason I carry mine is I had a friend who got in an accident and had to cut his seat belt to get out. If he hadn't he might not be here now. Bad things happen when you least expect it. Just something to think about.

Swiss army knife in my pocket if I'm not carrying a leatherman on my belt. I use either on a regular basis and wouldn't feel dressed without one.

I love Swiss Army knives as well. Even the small, basic ones are very handy -- with their blades, screwdriver, bottle opener, toothpick, etc..

I carry a knife mainly for utility uses also for if one day I would need one in a life or death survival situation.

Top Bottom