What's new

Why do you carry a pocket knife?

yes, to legally carry a pocket knife it cannot have a locking mechanism... I posted that in my entry a good few pages back I think :001_cool: for food its fine like you say, but breaking boxes and everyday tasks the tip is awkward to use.. for me anyway. as always, YMMV

This is ideal for everyday tasks, IMHO:

proxy.php

All the tools I'd need. And non-locking. So legal anywhere.

I like the single blade soldier, its very similar to that. the reason I don't own a SAK is because I don't think I would use tools and would just look for a reason to have them in my pocket... having said that, the can opener would be useful when camping

Because I'd feel lost without it. I've carried a knife everyday for over 40 years now. I find a use for it practically every single day.

Ditto except for the time carried. I recently picked up a non-branded AirSOG from Taiwan, a $3 flea market find. It is hands down the best knife I've ever had for EDC.

$SOG16.jpg

I have a couple different versions of this one, and one with a few extra bits (phillips screwdriver and awl on the spine), along with about 4 other "small" knives. One is always in my pocket. Growing up on a farm, if you didn't have a blade to cut twine, remove a splinter, whittle a stick, dislodge a tick, scrape, gouge, or trim something, well, it was a long walk back to the house, where Mom might find something more useful for you to do. I was later the subject of office jokes for always having a pocket knife handy in the office - until someone needed to trim a thread from a jacket or open a package. :)

Now I still do some of those things, plus dig weeds from the yard and garden, remove heads from snakes (when necessary), clean mud and such from my shoes, open mail, make quill pens from feathers found in the yard, remove thorns from bike tires, dog paws, and me, and whatever else needs doing. The ingrained terror of reaching in a pocket and finding it empty is not an experience I wish to repeat often.

I have a couple different versions of this one, and one with a few extra bits (phillips screwdriver and awl on the spine), along with about 4 other "small" knives. One is always in my pocket. Growing up on a farm, if you didn't have a blade to cut twine, remove a splinter, whittle a stick, dislodge a tick, scrape, gouge, or trim something, well, it was a long walk back to the house, where Mom might find something more useful for you to do. I was later the object of jokes for always having a pocket knife handy in the office - until someone needed to trim a thread from a jacket or open a package. :)

Now I still do some of those things, plus dig weeds from the yard and garden, remove heads from snakes (when necessary), clean mud and such from my shoes, open mail, make quill pens from feathers found in the yard, remove thorns from bike tires, dog paws, and me, and whatever else needs doing. The ingrained terror of reaching in a pocket and finding it empty is not an experience I wish to repeat often.

Amen. Nothing worse than being ready to use a tool that is just out of reach or at least not where you need it. Usually happens when you're in a difficult uncomfortable position, that you now have to get out of, get your tool (knife) and resume the position.

There are things a knife won't do, but there are just too many times it's either the right tool for job or will substitute very well.

Amen. Nothing worse than being ready to use a tool that is just out of reach or at least not where you need it. Usually happens when you're in a difficult uncomfortable position, that you now have to get out of, get your tool (knife) and resume the position.
Are you, as a pilot, allowed to take a knife on board? If not, does the on-board survival kit contain a knife?

Last edited:
Are you, as a pilot, allowed to take a knife on board? If not, does the on-board survival kit contain a knife?

Actually it's a twofold answer. I can take a knife with me on board when I fly but, I fly the smaller general aviation aircraft. When I fly commercial as a passenger I have to follow the same rules you do. I usually put my knife in check baggage on commercial flights, and keep it in my pocket when I'm PIC (Pilot in Command).

Do you really find yourself using it that often? I keep a pair of scissors in my car's glovebox for opening packages when out and about, but I don't find myself in other situations where I really need a pocketknife.

But they look really cool, and threads with awesome pictures of pocket knives make me want one even if I don't really need one. Go ahead, B&B, fuel my AD!!! :001_tongu
There was a Victorinox advertisement for Swiss army knives that said you use one twenty times a day, I tested the theory and they where wrong; I used mine way more than that and you do it without realising it.

There was a Victorinox advertisement for Swiss army knives that said you use one twenty times a day, I tested the theory and they where wrong; I used mine way more than that and you do it without realising it.

Amen. Every time I forget to carry a knife, I end up needing one. I have a friend who's a wood carver who has been known to have a half dozen on him:drool:.

I have my Camillus Marlinspike in my pocket as I type.

The blade sees daily use - mostly opening letters and packages around the office, but it made quick work of a piece of plastic I made into a squeegee while doing some fiberglass repair last weekend. The marlinspike is great for prying on jammed knots or almost anything that I don't want to subject the blade to.
$Camillus-w-lanyard.jpg

Top Bottom