What's new

Why do you carry a pocket knife?

I don't necessarily need a knife on my persons but it is nice having one just in case. It is surprising how handy it becomes throughout the day.

Also, it was a special gift from my mother. It's a great knife with a custom engraving on the blade. It was given to me after completing an intense mission, so I am very fond of it.

I always carry atleast 1 knife on me, today i have 2, why? why not, i use them at work to open boxes, i just seem to find a use for them, plus i carry them for self defense.

I carry a benchmade auto that I was issued back in 1995. Wouldnt leave home without it, or my challenge coin.

hmmm i love me a benchmade, unfortunatly us Civilians in NJ cant carry them legally, so i have a mini barrage assist that normally lives in my pocket, right now i have a Spyderco Police, and my TOPS "Baghdad box cutter" on my hip

I always carry atleast 1 knife on me, today i have 2, why? why not, i use them at work to open boxes, i just seem to find a use for them, plus i carry them for self defense.

Well, before I would have gotten my knife out of my jeans pocket, and would have opened it, I could have been murdered three times :wink2:

(fortunately the murder rate in the Netherlands is pretty low :lol: )

Well, before I would have gotten my knife out of my jeans pocket, and would have opened it, I could have been murdered three times :wink2:

(fortunately the murder rate in the Netherlands is pretty low :lol: )

i train with them, the folding knife i am pretty quick with, but the fixed blade on my hip i'm faster with. i've been mugged on the streets once, never again, i always have a knife on my person period!

i train with them, the folding knife i am pretty quick with, but the fixed blade on my hip i'm faster with. i've been mugged on the streets once, never again, i always have a knife on my person period!

Well, that does make sense in the USA. I think you live in a much more violent society than people in the average Northern and Western European countries.

Johant did you go for inox or
carbon? Looks like an inox from the photo. The no. 10 is pretty big too, Haha!... everyone should own an opinel

Last edited:
Johant did you go for inox or
carbon? Looks like an inox from the photo. The no. 10 is pretty big too, Haha!... everyone shouldn't own an opinel

I went for the inox (ease of use), and I wanted a 10, because it makes a great camping knife. For daily use, I have my Victorinox Soldier.

(I won't take the Opinel into the UK :lol: )

Last edited:
Well, before I would have gotten my knife out of my jeans pocket, and would have opened it, I could have been murdered three times .......

Carry an Emerson. They are folding knives that come out of the pocket open. I find Emersons are ready for action faster than an automatic knife.

Carry an Emerson. They are folding knives that come out of the pocket open. I find Emersons are ready for action faster than an automatic knife.
I don't need a knife for protection.

Where I live, the chances to be attacked are incredibly low, so there's no reason to feel unsafe. I know that's a weird thing to say to an American, but around here you really don't need a knife, when you're living as a regular citizen in a normal smaller city.

Automatic knives are forbidden here, btw (and for good reason). A knife should be a tool, not a weapon. (yes, I know Americans think otherwise indeed ... cultural differences :001_smile )

Last edited:
I don't need a knife for protection.

Where I live, the chances to be attacked are incredibly low, so there's no reason to feel unsafe. I know that's a weird thing to say to an American, but around here you really don't need a knife, when you're living as a regular citizen in a normal smaller city.

Automatic knives are forbidden here, btw (and for good reason). A knife should be a tool, not a weapon. (yes, I know Americans think otherwise indeed ... cultural differences :001_smile )

in your next post, could you please find a way to cram in even more baseless and pointlessly arrogant generalizations? it's just so charming to hear a european friend speaking in his natural tongue. *emoticon for oozing with charm*

in your next post, could you please find a way to cram in even more baseless and pointlessly arrogant generalizations? it's just so charming to hear a european friend speaking in his natural tongue. *emoticon for oozing with charm*

Well, my apologies, I did not want to offend. In no way did I want to suggest bad intentions in the fellow B&B members. I just can understand that carrying a knife for personal defense makes more sense for some of the fellow B&B'ers. That's all.

Edit 2: reading back my previous post, that was a generalization indeed. Again, apologies.

Last edited:
I think there's plenty of very safe places in the US. I live in a city that I don't need to worry about being attacked too much. But honestly, you never know what sort of crazy person you may come across anywhere in the world and a simple pocket knife can at least provide some protection if you come across that person. Hopefully you never need to use it as such but if its with you at least you may have a fighting chance. I've carried a folder with a partially spring assisted open for quite awhile and it can come out and open in no time flat, even though I don't really do any practicing with it. It's just a quick knife.

But honestly, you never know what sort of crazy person you may come across anywhere in the world and a simple pocket knife can at least provide some protection if you come across that person. Hopefully you never need to use it as such but if its with you at least you may have a fighting chance.

My objection against carrying weapons is that people are more ready to use them. I think my chances of getting into trouble are a lot less when I don't carry a defense weapon than when I do. And fortunately I believe that almost anyone around me thinks the same (minus the lone madman). Plus, there are strict controls in high risk areas (the times where you could walk into the football stadium with a knife in your pocket are long gone).

I believe that the acceptance of personal defense weapons easily leads to more violence. But if most people around you do think they must carry a weapon to defend themselves, then you would be crazy to walk around "naked". Not only because the guy next to you carries a defense knife (or worse), but mainly because he believes you carry one.

So, in places where having, carrying, and using weapons is more tolerated, it is perfectly understandable that you also need a weapon yourself. You don't want to be the sheep in a flock of wolves :wink2:

............ I believe that the acceptance of personal defense weapons easily leads to more violence. ... :wink2:

I know your genuine and I don't want to pick a fight, but what do you base this hypothesis on?

I cary this knife when I feel less violent and need to just cut a high number of cardboard boxes. M4 steel rocks.
$image.jpg

Last edited:
I couldn't imagine not carrying a pocketknife. I use it several times a day doing random tasks such as opening mail, opening boxes, using it to fix staplers and such. All my friends and family know I carry it and constantly ask to use it when in need.

I carry a Kershaw Leek and LOVE it. Kershaw has great customer service and a great warranty program.

Top Bottom