What's new

Why do you carry a pocket knife?

In my line of work, having a knife is very handy, from opening our almost daily package deliveries to cutting zip ties (I'm a mechanic, and so many of the skid plates on cars are held on with zip ties because the bolts got lost) to simply cutting my food at lunch. Every day at work, that Kershaw is in my front pocket.

I also love to fish, so keeping a knife on me then is mandatory for cutting lines, small branches, etc. I keep a filet knife with my fishing set, but it only gets used on fish.

I carry an opinel no.6 with the lock ring removed so its legal to carry in the UK and also have a no.12 (its a big old boy) for when im doing outdoorsy things. they are excellent value with good steel and it really doesn't need to be any bigger and it comes in handy for all sorts of stuff; mainly breaking boxes and packaging and envelopes but also food prep as it works better than the paring knife in the drawer... anything I need to cut really :)

Are the UK that strict on pocket knifes?
dude, its ridiculous! if you carry any knife with a blade longer than 3" and get caught you're going to prison... if you carry any fixed or locking blade and get caught, you're going to prison!
unless you have 'good cause' but that is at the officer's discretion so its not worth the risk

its 18 to buy knives and that includes DE blades!
Boy and girl scouts??

My girls are both in scouting, and have carried a pocket knife and small dagger since they were 10 or so.

Stilettos are banned here (Netherlands), just like knifes with two sharp edges (plus a few others that are clearly not designed for cutting ropes, and skinning apples).

And you're not allowed to take any knife into a bar or club, or to a football game. All perfectly understandable.

But if you would want to do harm, a screwdriver is just as deadly as a knife with a 3" blade! (I think the limit is something like 6" in the Netherlands).

I don't know the laws around boy scouts but im assuming its allowed under those circumstances but I would imagine they will have to be taken away from the child when their club meet is over. victorinox even made a Duke of Edinburgh 'safety' pocket knife with a rounded end rather than a point haha!

I don't know the laws around boy scouts but im assuming its allowed under those circumstances but I would imagine they will have to be taken away from the child when their club meet is over.
That would be ridiculous, in my opinion!
victorinox even made a Duke of Edinburgh 'safety' pocket knife with a rounded end rather than a point haha!
Actually I can imagine that, as a learner knife for young kids. But of course no 12yo would want to be seen with a safety knife anymore :wink2:

My girls both have one of these purple beauties (Opinel 7):

proxy.php

They are girls, after all :lol:

Last edited:
That would be ridiculous, in my opinion!

I could be wrong, im only speculating based on the laws in the UK. the law says you have to be 18 to carry a knife but as you pointed out im sure a scout can carry while supervised by his leader but when unsupervised I would imagine it is classed as a crime. its a sorry state really

Yes, I know the laws on knifes in Belgium are stricter than in the Netherlands as well. OTOH, it seems to be much easier to get a firearm in Belgium than in Holland. "seems", since I don't know for sure; I am not interested in firearms.

I think that you should teach young people how to treat a knife in a responsible way. Being used as a tool, of course, not as a weapon!

I think that you should teach young people how to treat a knife in a responsible way. Being used as a tool, of course, not as a weapon!

I agree entirely! teaching a young one to respect and care for a knife and to use it properly and safely is much safer in my eyes than letting an irresponsible teen loose with a bladed instrument, and that's coming from a guy who is still only 19 himself! (although I like to think of myself as a mature and responsible chap who has been brought up to respect tools and equipment and to be a gentleman<-- (with thanks to my parents)... those purple opinels look nice! have you ever used the carbon versions? they are just brilliant, take an edge like a champ and also patina pretty cool too! :)

I agree entirely! teaching a young one to respect and care for a knife and to use it properly and safely is much safer in my eyes than letting an irresponsible teen loose with a bladed instrument, and that's coming from a guy who is still only 19 himself! (although I like to think of myself as a mature and responsible chap who has been brought up to respect tools and equipment and to be a gentleman<-- (with thanks to my parents)... those purple opinels look nice! have you ever used the carbon versions? they are just brilliant, take an edge like a champ and also patina pretty cool too! :)
My oldest is 16, so not much younger than you :wink2:

No, I always carry a Victorinox knife with me ... a knife with just one (admittedly, very good) blade would be too boring for me :lol:

The kids have the stainless steel Opinel ... standard scouting material (though most have the plain wood version, or a Swiss pocket knife)

on the contrary, I prefer a knife with a single blade. if I carried a multitool type knife I think I would neglect most of the tools and feel bad about it! haha... I much prefer to take great care of the one blade and use it for a multitude of functions :)

I find that carrying a knife can be a little bit bulky. I don't like clipping it somewhere on my pants because then its exposed and I dont really like announcing to the world I am carrying a knife, and I dont like it just loose in my pocket. How do you guys carry you knives?

mine just slips into my left hand pocket down the side of my insulin pen and loose change... but a no.6 is quite small and cylindrical so its quite comfy in the pocket

I find that carrying a knife can be a little bit bulky. I don't like clipping it somewhere on my pants because then its exposed and I dont really like announcing to the world I am carrying a knife, and I dont like it just loose in my pocket. How do you guys carry you knives?

scroll back to my post on page 12 for the answers you seek. ;)

I always carry one in my jeans pocket ... I don't care about the bulkiness.

And another one in my tank bag, for when I am on the road. Both Victorinox Soldier knifes.

Top Bottom