What's new

Why do you carry a pocket knife?

like some of the others have said " if i dont have it , i always end up needing it " that and there are some places i cant carry my gun with me ...lol

Interesting response Mongoose... Why?

I posted a picture of some of my knives. None were hand downs, all were purchased new.
The ones that still look new are fairly new; most look well used as they are.

Perhaps you mean hubris as another way of saying 'hard use'?

From Merriam-Webster online dictionary.
col·lect
verb \kə-ˈlekt\
Definition of COLLECT
transitive verb
a : to bring together into one body or place
b : to gather or exact from a number of persons or sources <collect taxes>
c : to gather an accumulation of (objects) especially as a hobby <collects stamps>
: infer, deduce
: to gain or regain control of <collect his thoughts>
: to claim as due and receive payment for
: to get and bring with one; specifically : pick up <went to collect her at the train station>
intransitive verb
: to come together in a band, group, or mass : gather
a : to collect objects

col·lec·tion
noun \k&#601;-&#712;lek-sh&#601;n\
Definition of COLLECTION
: the act or process of collecting
a : something collected; especially : an accumulation of objects gathered for study, comparison, or exhibition or as a hobby
b : group, aggregate

Last edited:
I carry a Swisstool with me 24/7 except when I sleep and shower. The blade is fantastic and gets a sharpening every Sunday if it needs it or not. Same goes with my Pro Tac LED light.

Because I always find myself needing one. Opening a box or needing a small screwdriver. They're just great to have with you. And it always seems that you need one the day you leave it at home, which drives me nuts.

I've carried one with me since 1997. I won't go back now. I shudder at getting on airplanes as I never check bags my dad got into carrying a utility knife so if he forgot about it he could just toss the blade and keep the holder, smart guy, but I just love my CRKT too much!

I carry a knife because it is easier than carrying a police officer.

Actually, mostly to open boxes, cut strings, slice pieces of tape, etc.

I carry a knife because I like to.

There have been many days where I've carried my knife and not used it. If I forget it, you can guarantee I will end up needing it that day. That's what the Spyderco Bug on the keychain is for. :001_smile

I didn't carry one for the longest time, but one day I ordered a three inch Gerber spring-assisted just for the heck of it. I found that, as I carried it, I used it more and more throughout the day. It's funny, but you don't know what you've been missing until you have one, if you haven't ever been used to carrying before. Of course, my uses for them throughout the day have exploded recently, because I'm Active Duty Army, but I used mine fairly often even before signing.

Having grown up on a working dairy farm, I started with a pocket knife at a very young age (7 or 8 IIRC). Dad always carried a Swiss Army knife that he used for everything from cutting hay bale strings and feedbags to trimming broken fingernails. I was always doing chores around the farm so naturally, I also needed a knife. I didn't always know when I would need a knife so I just started carrying one all the time and I do mean ALL the time. My friends always knew that if they needed a knife, I'd have one on me. As I grew older, I began to acquire larger/more tactical/more specialized knives whenever I could. Today, 18+ years later, I am a full time test engineer and a part time auto mechanic so I still use my knife multiple times each day. Everything from trimming labels to stripping wire to cutting zip ties. Plus, I subscribe to the "rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" mentality.

I carry my knife/tool because they are needed every day for cutting shrink wrap, tape, straps on freight etc. I didn't carry a multitool for a really long time then found the leatherman juice s2 and got it and use it all the time as well because it cuts down on the stuff I used my knives for that I should've used it for instead like turning screws, prying on stuff etc. yea you could say I'm a little rough on my EDC tools.

If I had a less bulky knife I would probably carry it more of the time but mostly I just carry it at work. It has driver bits as well which makes it perfect for work. It is a Leatherman Crater. Going less bulky would mean dropping the bits and I'd say blade/bit use is 50/50 so it would be half useful.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I have carried a vintage Puma two blade folding knife everyday for years. I am seeking out a more modern knife now and will never be without a knife. I love having one on me

Like everything else in my life i have a large collection of Pocket knives and carry one every day. My grandfather gave me my first knife at age 8 and taught me how to sharpen it the same year. I have carried a pocket knife every day i was able since then. Like my handkerchief you don't miss it till you don't have it. My favorite pocket knife is still my vintage Case XX.

Not sure if it's already been said as I've not read every page, but I find a pocket knife is a lot like a smartphone. Before you have it, you can't see any reason why you would really need it. I mean, you probably have a computer at home or at work where it's convenient to look things up online, check email etc. But then you get a smartphone and you find yourself using it in all these situations you didn't imagine before.

If you don't have a pocket knife, you can always say "oh I can got get some scissors, or a knife, or a screwdriver" but then you have those options on a knife and they are always with you.

I use mine the most to open packages at work and open boxes of diapers at home, but also use it for everything else mentioned in this thread. So handy to just have it in your pocket so you don't have to go get whatever you need.

I carry a Wenger Serrated Backpacker everyday: http://www.wengerna.com/serrated-backpacker-16444

But I kind of miss the scissor on my Swiss Army classic.

I don't keep one in my pocket every day (quite a few restrictions in my day that don't allow 'sharp pointy objects') but I do keep one in my turnout gear, as well as on my desk. The former is because they are quite useful in 'quick-thinking' senarios, and the latter because I find a good sharp knife makes for the perfect letter opener..

I grew up with both mentalities: Knives have no purpose in the daily lives of straight laced people, and you should always carry a knife as you would your wallet or watch. I suppose I compromise the two by keeping it in my VFD gear and readily accessible at home.

I carry my pocket knife mainly for utility purposes. I use it daily to open things (boxes / packages / etc..). There is also a safety/security aspect to having a good pocket knife. Although this is not a primary use for this particular tool (for me), its application if / when needed should not be overlooked.

I have almost always carried one. For a long time it was a Swiss Army Spartan or similar. Ever since I discovered the Kershaw Leek, everything else seems clumsy and hard to reach. In ski areas or back country I often carry a Leatherman Wave instead as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom