What's new

TECH Tuesday

Well, this will be my fifth Tech Tuesday. My first Tech Tuesday shave (4/3) was my first ever shave with the Tech.

I picked up some Walgreen Stainless blades, and lathered up with some Edge Gel because it’s all I had. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised with the smoothness & comfort I got from the Tech. Even after 40 years of shaving with the same Trac II I bought in college, the transition was almost effortless. And although I did have to concentrate a little more, by the end of the shave the Tech felt right at home in my hand & on my face. It was a very close shave with absolutely no nicks or weepers. A cool rinse & a splash of Old Spice finished off the event.

By morning my face was still smooth. Usually after 10~12 hours I’m starting to get just a little sandpaper on my chin & jaw line, but not this morning! By that evening (24 hours later) I could feel a little roughness on my cheeks. I did a quick touch up with the Braun in the morning (36 hours later) & was good for another day.

By Friday evening I felt it was time for another Tech shave. Again, it was a very enjoyable experience! Even though I really only need to shave a couple times a week, I may have to start shaving more often because it feels so darned good!

The next three weeks were identical, except once, I got a very small weeper that appeared under my right jaw, but no biggie. By the time I finished, rinsed & splashed on a little witch hazel it was dried up & gone.

I will be celebrating my fifth Tech Tuesday (& ninth DE shave) this evening.

I’ll tell you what, boys – I am lovin’ this! Thanks for all the great tips, info & advice.

~Frank

Another effortless BBS shave with a Fat-handled Tech. Today, I used a Derby blade, Cella loaded on a Simpson Eagle followed by a splash of 4711 AS. Since rediscovering my Tech after over a year of no use ( I hade errantly moved on to "better", more aggressive razors), it has become my "go to" razor. I have some that are prettier, quite a few that cost a lot more, but none that shave better.

Mike

While my heart belongs to the open comb, you gents inspired me to try out my tech for the very first time tonight.
Long story short, I loved it! I'm learning that "mild" definitely doesn't always mean "bad" in the world of DE shaving.
Thanks for the motivation to try my tech and start a new Tuesday tradition!
:shaving:

All of this TECH love made my have to get one...I now have three on the way. I guess next Tuesday will be TECH Tuesday from now on.

Last night in honour of Tech Tuesday I used mine with a Personna Med Prep and TOBS Sandalwood soap. I'd previously been using Feathers because I had some that I hated in my Merkur HD but decided to try a Med Prep as they're my preferred blade. The razor didn't feel to be doing anything, but I could hear it. The sound of shaving is something I'd never noticed with carts, but there's a definite rasp with a DE. Sure enough it was happily mowing through the stubble, and three passes left me with as close to a BBS as I ever get. (I can't go ATG)

Again, the Med Preps proved to be my favourite blade, and the Feathers are once more relegated to occasional use. I am definitely becoming a fan of the Tech, and while mine is in very good condition I do fancy getting a mint one.

Celebrated Tech Tuiesday wth a mid-50s ball end Tech, Arko shave stick, Clubman. Great shave as usual.

Does anyone know what year Gillette started putting the logo on the top of the Tech razors? I am just curious. I will be using a Gillette Tech for this entire months shaves

Does anyone know what year Gillette started putting the logo on the top of the Tech razors? I am just curious. I will be using a Gillette Tech for this entire months shaves
My own curiosity about that logo extends to the question of what kind of image it is. It seems far less durable than most of the top coats that Gillette used.

I didn't see any mention of the black plastic handle Tech from the early 50's. That's what I have and it shaves great. Anybody else using one of those, if so how does it compare to any of the other Techs?

I didn't see any mention of the black plastic handle Tech from the early 50's. That's what I have and it shaves great. Anybody else using one of those, if so how does it compare to any of the other Techs?
I have not tried one, but would like to!

~Frank

What's a good price to pay on the Bay for an early era Tech--Fat Handle, preferably or otherwise if the price were right? I've got RAD in the worst way, and this will be my 2nd razor, with my first being an EJ89, which I'm loving!

Hit the completed listings check box and see what they have sold for. I just ran a quick check and I saw one as low as ~$10 to over $100 with box. Expect 10-25 for user grade depending on condition and quality of photo documentation of condition. If you pay 20-25 be sure it has very good pictures and is apparent that it has light wear. I don't go for boxed so there is no reason I would pay over $25. The less patient you are the more you are going to spend. Before you bid on ebay be sure to check out Etsy as well.

If you want user grade and blemishes are ok expect to pay less.

You might get lucky and find one in the wild for a song. I stumbled on mine at a thrift store and got lucky for $5.

The Tech is a combat zone razor...what can hurt it? Simple. Effective. No moving parts. You can get a fast shave with little risk of harm. It's light but solid too. Disassemble for easy packing.

Yeah, the Tech is a combat zone masterpiece.

Forgive me. I get like this sometimes. Old soldier's view of the world.

Last edited:

I have one (1951) and used it Wednesday morning. It shaves very similar to my other rectangular-slot Techs but I prefer more heft on the handle.

What's a good price to pay on the Bay for an early era Tech--Fat Handle, preferably or otherwise if the price were right? I've got RAD in the worst way, and this will be my 2nd razor, with my first being an EJ89, which I'm loving!

I paid about $30 each for two pre-war fat handles (triangle slots). Maybe paid too much, but they are decent looking razors with a minimum of defects - and I like them!

~Frank

Had the Ikon handle on the re-plated Tech head for today....

I think I might keep these two together for a while. Handled VERY well together

proxy.php

That;s a sweet combo turtle...I'm telling ya, the Ikon handle looks sweet on just about everything....Did you notice any improvements using the Bulldog on your tech?? I've tried "heavier" handles on my old type heads...and prefer my light weight traveler...curious what improvements you feel you get with the ikon.

Top Bottom