What's new

Straight shaving wrecking my skin ... help needed

Good afternoon folks

I've been using a straight for about 3 months now, but only on weekends or holidays. I use a DE during the week. I seem to be able to give myself a DFS with the straight, although it takes a bit of time (which I don't mind). I have a problem though ... every time I use the straight I break out in little white spots/pimples on my chin and the sides of my mouth towards the end of the day. If I follow it up with another straight shave it takes a couple of days of using the DE for my skin to settle down. This has kind of put me off using the straight, and I'm wondering if my face is not cut out for shaving with a straight.

I'd be grateful for any similar stories, insights, advice or other good-natured humililation that anyone has to offer!

I don't think it's my prep. I normally use the straight after a shower and I use Proraso Sensitive Skin Pre-shave. But I could be wrong.

Maybe it's a pressure thing and I'm using too much - but I've been trying really hard to be gentle. But I could be wrong.

Maybe it's my angle, but I'm trying to keep the blade as flat as possible too. But I could be wrong.

Perhaps it's just the added irritation I get because I have to shave my chin a bit more than I do with a DE to get the same result (at the moment). But I could be wrong again.

Help...

someone else on here was just talking about the same thing. but from d.e. i thought blade? pressure?
now in your case its from str8's... try str8 shaving only. see if it continues after a week.

Legion

Staff member
Probably blade angle causing irritation, but those little pimples are caused by bacteria on the skin, or so I recall reading. Are you using an aftershave or astringent at all? "sterilising" the area after the shave may help some.

Legion

Staff member
It takes 2-4 weeks from the time you start from your face to adjust to an open blade

This can be true. Some people need to "break in" their face for straight shaving. Only doing it on the weekend isn't allowing that.

Here's what I would try. After the shave rinse with cold water, then pat dry with a clean towel. With clean hands splash some alcohol based aftershave on the problem area. Hopefully it will fix the problem up.

Plan B, if that doesn't work. At Southlands Coles, in the womens deodorant section, they sell a product called Body Crystal. It is a block of ammonium alum. After the shave rinse off with cold water, and while still wet rub the alum on the problem area and let it sit while you dry your razor and clean your brush. Wash off with cold water and pat dry with a clean towel. This should work too.

This can be true. Some people need to "break in" their face for straight shaving. Only doing it on the weekend isn't allowing that.

Here's what I would try. After the shave rinse with cold water, then pat dry with a clean towel. With clean hands splash some alcohol based aftershave on the problem area. Hopefully it will fix the problem up.

Plan B, if that doesn't work. At Southlands Coles, in the womens deodorant section, they sell a product called Body Crystal. It is a block of ammonium alum. After the shave rinse off with cold water, and while still wet rub the alum on the problem area and let it sit while you dry your razor and clean your brush. Wash off with cold water and pat dry with a clean towel. This should work too.

All good tips, thanks David.

Current after shave regime is this: Rinse with cold water. Splash on witch hazel. Let dry. Splash on Proraso AS (lotion not balm). Let dry. Moisturise if needed. I don't have any problems when I use my DE with my current blade.

This leads me to think that what goatee and smalltank say might be the answer - I need to push through the 'resistance' barrier by using the straight for a whole week straight (no pun intended!).

I might try the Body Crystal too.

Thanks so far guys.

Legion

Staff member
IIRC I used to get them a little when I was learning to use a DE. Either my technique got better, or my skin got tougher, but I don't have the problem now.

You may consider giving your straight a spray with rubbing alcohol. Not only will it kill any bacteria on it it seems to help in drying out the razor.

Might be technique. When I first started I had the same problem. It went away after my first 100 shaves or so little by little.

something else to consider if you use pastes or sprays for edge maintenance those could have some influence on irritation

something else to consider if you use pastes or sprays for edge maintenance those could have some influence on irritation

Good call. You'll want your blade to be absolutely clean - no germs, no soap, no edge treatments. Best to have it spotless before you strop so you don't transfer the foreign materials to your strop.

Also consider using witch hazel (WH) during your post-shave. It should cleanse and tone your skin as well as close any weepers.

Story time: I used to get little baddies where you're talking about too. I let up a little on my pressure in those areas and became more liberal with the WH and those went away. I know it's hard not to use SOME pressure when you're hunting a PFS or BBS but there should be balance. While you're learning good technique SAS is perfectly acceptable. The stubble you leave will be less visible than the pimples.

It also sounds that your straight may not be all the way up to snuff for the shave. It may have some small amount of defects in the edge that may need to be honed or touched up to get the edge right. The small defect sound like there cutting superficially into your skin in problem areas and there leaving irritation in there edges path. Get the edge looked at under a loupe/loop which ever one it is so you can know the condition and take care of that. In addition the Alum will help with bacteria I use it often and my shaves go really well. Good luck and expect success.

+1 on the above. Your blade might need a touch up. You may be having to use more pressure than is good for your skin.

It could be the way you are stropping.

It could be your shaving technique.

I would have the blade looked at first. Then watch a couple of strop videos.

Top Bottom