What's new

Proper fragrance application

I've seen several threads where folks on basenotes talk about 12-14 sprays. There's even one thread where a guy talks about 40-50 sprays...and is SERIOUS.

It seems shocking, but let's think about it for a second. These people are at the mecca of fragrance obsession (basenotes, fragrantica, etc). You're going to see these outliers on these sites more than you'll see them anywhere else.

Those people must have lots of stock in, or be representatives for perfume companies...they tell you to spray tons so you use it up and buy more!

if any frag took 40-50 sprays to work i'd be pissed off! even more than 3 sprays would annoy me. I didn't pay for alcohol, I paid for the scent!

I've seen several threads where folks on basenotes talk about 12-14 sprays. There's even one thread where a guy talks about 40-50 sprays...and is SERIOUS.

It seems shocking, but let's think about it for a second. These people are at the mecca of fragrance obsession (basenotes, fragrantica, etc). You're going to see these outliers on these sites more than you'll see them anywhere else.

See, now that's just overkill. Do these peoples' noses still work? I'd be concerned that these people are not familiar with the concept of olfactory fatigue, and reason that if they can't smell it strongly, nobody else can smell it either.

I wonder if the silage becomes a haze trail that follows behind them, stunning small mammals, interrupting flight paths of insects and turning the nearby smoker into the Human Torch.

I try my best to hold my tongue in such discussions over at the fragrance sites, but it's always a pleasure to come here and discuss fragrances with men that wear them sensibly and appropriately. It IS, however, eye-opening to see how many men wear female fragrances almost exclusively (I don't mean Sycomore, I mean things like Brittany Spears and YSL Parisienne).
It's not for me.

I think the ones that talk about 12-14 sprays of Aventus are clueless to their surroundings or just don't give a **** about others.

depends on the fragrance, my normal is usually 3 sprays, one on the front of neck one on the back and one on my wrist then ill rub wrists together for a stronger scent i will just use one on the neck

I usually do 2-3 sprays. One on the neck/chest area and the others end up on the shirt of the day. Never had any of my frags stain my clothing. I like the clothing spray since for me it holds the fragrance without my body metabolizing the scent and having it fade away.

I used to apply the edt on chest, arms, neck, just kind of spread around 5-6 sprays,then a shot on the shirt, but recently in Munich at a very high end fragrance counter, the SA said not to have it on the hands/wrists because the scent could interfere with the smell of food when you eat. Never thought of that, never even noticed it. Any thoughts?

I can see that being a valid point when you're eating fine food, but considering my lunch most days is rabbit food or takeaway, I'd welcome something adding a bit more scent to it :)

I generally apply frag to hands/wrist only when doing daily samplings because I can easily raise hand to face periodically throughout the day to get a reading. Otherwise, if the frag has weak projection I will usually apply it to the inside of each elbow and if the frag has strong projection I won't apply any at all to my hands/wrist or elbows. Besides, I have a sweatshirt which I put on periodically throughout the day when the office cools down and I find that frags will rub off on my clothing and can remain for days.

Top Bottom