What's new

Brick & Mortar in Portland, Or

Wow!
I can't believe all the local options we have (new and old alike).
The Roseway Barber Shop is literally around the corner from me - like 2 blocks.

Dinder1, do they do shaves there? How would you describe what is their 'custom blend' like?

I did some shopping last weekend, here is what I can confirm from my travels

The Perfume House - Trumpers soaps, I picked up Rose in a wooden bowl and it was the tallow based formula, so it might have been around for a while. Also picked up a refill of coconut oil(new formula). Both are great! WARNING! If you are a colonge junkie do not go here. It could be fatal to your wallet :tongue_sm

Roseway Barbershop didn't have osage rub or their homemade stuff in stock. The gentleman there said it would be a couple of weeks before they got any in.

Winn Perry - DR Harris Arlington soap, aftershave and pre-shave. I picked up the soap and aftershave and all I can say is - Wow. I definitely like this stuff better than tabac and the scent is incredible. Arlington was the only flavor they had. I didn't check out the other stuff since I had spent enough money already :lol:. I told Jordan, the owner how I heard about his place, he did seem interested in carrying more items if people are interested. Really nice guy.

French Quarter in the Pearl - Mugso Real and Omega shaving cream. They had some other Men's Bath soap and skin care items, but I didn't really look at them. I picked up the Mugso, but haven't used it yet because I just love my new soaps.

Also, I checked out Dolce Vita Pearl because the Art of Shaving website listed them as a dealer, but they don't carry aos products anymore.

I didn't check out the AOS supply at Hairm, not sure if Eric made it there yet or not. I might try heading over there this weekend

These two places supposedly carry T&H. I did not check them out yet but plan to:
  • John Helmer
    969 SW Broadway
    Portland, OR 97205
    503-223-4976
  • Michael Allen's
    915 SW Ninth Avenue
    Portland, OR 97205
    503-221-9963
I didn't check out L'occitane, but there is one in Pioneer place and washington square. I've good things about the Cade soap, so I might have to pick some up.

That's all I've checked out so far. I really want to check out shaving essentials, and I should have when I was at the perfume house, but I was in a hurry so no go.

I dealing with HAD and RAD at the moment, so I'm not sure how much more soap and cream I'll be buying since I have enough to last me a while, but if other folks want to check any of these other places out, please post the results here.

I didn't check out the AOS supply at Hairm, not sure if Eric made it there yet or not. I might try heading over there this weekend

Actually I think it's my brother (rmhuntley) you're thinking of regarding the AOS at Hairm. He made it there last week, and said they had the full line of AOS stuff, and a couple of other creams but couldn't recall what they were. I'd be willing to bet one of them was eshave.

He got a tub of AOS Sandalwood cream and said it was $22. I tried some of it and was pleasantly surprised with how well it lathered, and how great the scent was. AOS had always turned me off just because I knew places like Nordstroms carried the brand.

Winn Perry - DR Harris Arlington soap, aftershave and pre-shave. I picked up the soap and aftershave and all I can say is - Wow. I definitely like this stuff better than tabac and the scent is incredible. Arlington was the only flavor they had. I didn't check out the other stuff since I had spent enough money already :lol:. I told Jordan, the owner how I heard about his place, he did seem interested in carrying more items if people are interested. Really nice guy.

Did Winn Perry have the DR Harris Arlington soap refills? I want to pick up a puck, but I refuse to pay for the wooden bowl.

Great report Kubrick thanks for filling us in!

John Helmer is right near Marios which carries both the Trumper Creams and Soaps as well as Santa Maria Novella - Crema da Barba

marios
833 SW Broadway
Portland, OR 97205
(503) 241-8111

Michael Allen just reconfigured his store at 915 sw 9th to Fine furnishings for the home.

The clothing store which carries the truefitt & hill brand is now at
811 SW Morrison St, Portland - (503) 221-9963

I was very dissapointed with Hair m, as they felt like the hair salon from "the man show" calling the chairs thrones and such ...wierd.

I think the other brand Hair M carried was Caswell-Massey, Which looks like a great product.

I picked up some Caswell-Massey rose hand cream at "Escential" on hawthorne, which i fully recommend and would love to hear other B&B Portlanders opinion of. they have their own shaving cream "shea butter & white tea" which along with their own aftershave you can add essential & perfume oils too to create your own scent. (try the Rose and Lavender mix to compliment the QED Davinci Water:))

http://www.escential.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=215

Did Winn Perry have the DR Harris Arlington soap refills? I want to pick up a puck, but I refuse to pay for the wooden bowl.

I'm not sure if he was trying to get rid of the stuff or what, but he had the wooden bowls for $19, no refills though. The aftershave was also $19. Get it fast because I didn't realize that was 1/2 price of most places so I may head back and pick up some more.

Is Winn Perry in the old Ford Building that was just restored (the large brick building) where the Multnomah County offices used to be? I can't picture anything over there other than Genie's, the breakfast spot on the opposite corner.
Guess I'll just have to swing by! :001_smile

I'm not sure if he was trying to get rid of the stuff or what, but he had the wooden bowls for $19, no refills though. The aftershave was also $19. Get it fast because I didn't realize that was 1/2 price of most places so I may head back and pick up some more.

Thanks for the update.

Went to Winn Perry today. The DR Harris soap was $37 when I tried to buy it..

Went to Winn Perry today. The DR Harris soap was $37 when I tried to buy it..

He must have had it priced incorrectly. I honestly wasn't sure how much the aftershave normally cost, but I was getting the soap regardless. I was chatting with him when he was ringing me up and didn't even pay attention to the total.

Still, $37 isn't bad considering no shipping costs. Maybe I'll see if he's interested in carrying refills.

He's right. I did go to Hair M, and along w/ the full line of AoS stuff, they also had what appeared to be almost the full line of Eshave products

Actually I think it's my brother (rmhuntley) you're thinking of regarding the AOS at Hairm. He made it there last week, and said they had the full line of AOS stuff, and a couple of other creams but couldn't recall what they were. I'd be willing to bet one of them was eshave.

He got a tub of AOS Sandalwood cream and said it was $22. I tried some of it and was pleasantly surprised with how well it lathered, and how great the scent was. AOS had always turned me off just because I knew places like Nordstroms carried the brand.

Sounds like Jordan at Winn Perry is getting the Entire Taylor of Old Bond St. collection! should be in late october!! :w00t:

shave party?

Sounds like Jordan at Winn Perry is getting the Entire Taylor of Old Bond St. collection! should be in late october!! :w00t:

shave party?

My sister lives in Portland and has already been advised of this store. If one of you Portland'ites can update this thread in Oct. or whenever the TOBS actually arrives that would be great. My lil sis will be getting her marching orders the next day.

I'm really jealous of you guys. You have a treasure trove of supplies in your burg. PHX is twice your size with nothing available. Good on you.

shave party?

Oh my. I can't wait to check out that stuff in person. I've only tried the tobs almond shave cream. I'll definitely be checking it out next month.

I walked downtown after work yesterday and went to L'occitane, Hairm and Saks.

L'occitane - Pioneer Place: has the Cade soap, cream and aftershave balm/splash. Along with their other EDT's. I picked up the soap. I was tempted to pick up the Vetvyer edt, but I didn't.

Hairm has AOS stuff, but no soap :mad3:

Went to Saks(Pioneer Place) because I wanted to try out the Fresh Cannabis Santal EDP. Smelled it, liked it, bought it. They also had Art of Shaving stuff, but only had the soap in unscented and I really wanted the lavendar. So I picked up a tub of Lavendar cream instead.

John Helmer's downtown had Truefit and Hill 1805 shaving cream and cologne, and St. John's bay rum cologne.

Marios next door has quite a bit of the Taylor's of Old Bond Street, trumper's, several other high end brands I've never heard of... worth checking out if you aren't a noob like myself... least giving them a call.

Anyone seen a variety of Pinaud's available anywhere here in the Portland Area?
I know I've seen Lilac Vegetal at walgreens, and Bay Rum as well. Any others?

Does anyone have recommendations for brick and mortar sources of shaving creams in the Portland, Oregon area.

I would like to find somewhere to purchase Musgo or Speick creams.

Thanks

Clyde

Humour a Brit here - I've seen the term 'Brick and Mortar' a few times now. What does it mean? Is is a bargain basement type store, without frills and consequently without fancy prices? Or is it simply a 'real' store, as opposed to on-line?

Top Bottom