What's new

IWC watches

Alright, I am a self confessed TAG devotee. For history, it's pretty hard to beat. And they still make bombproof watches. But I have to admit that the new stuff just doesn't do it for me as the old ones did. The styling just seems a bit off. It's very subtle, but they just don't seem to have the balance they used to, and small details seem a teeny bit harsh. Nothing humongous, but noticeable to me after years of devoted following. I think the new Grand Carreras are pretty sweet, but I wanted a watch more along the lines of the Aquaracer Chrono in the looks department when it comes to TAG's ( I do love the Monaco though, it's just such a specialized look!). Which brings me to some IWC's that I have sort of been looking at. I like the classic look of the Mark XVI, but would like a chronograph. Any recommendations, opinions, or general IWC info from anyone? I have seen a few IWC threads from searching, but didn't want to really dredge up any specifics.

Cheers

I personally like the designs of IWC, they are one of my favorite watch makers. Very clean, yet elegant.

When it comes to whether they are worth the price or not...that's a bit difficult. (IMO)

Some have pretty basic, though slightly modified ETA or Valjoux movements, which don't make them worth the $5,000+. But they've recently been making strides for more in house movements, and pulling up some of their old movements to put in current watches.

For the same price, I would look at JLC. I don't care for the new IWC designs with the triple date window. Although, the Portugese 7 Day is on my list of watches to buy in a couple of years.

IMHO, IWC are a superb watch. I owned a GST Perpetual Calendar for a couple of years. To me, it's just a matter of if you like the design of them. They are certainly head and shoulders above makers like TAG.

Thanks for info fellows. I do dig the IWC styling, I always tend towards classic looks. I may investigate a vintage Mk 11 IWC, but I do need a chronograph. Choices!

IMHO, IWC are a superb watch. I owned a GST Perpetual Calendar for a couple of years. To me, it's just a matter of if you like the design of them. They are certainly head and shoulders above makers like TAG.

These days I would agree, but not too many years ago there was no discernible difference between them. Sad what happens when LVMH gets a hold of something. At least Richemont is maintaining good quality with IWC.

If you are interested in an IWC Chronograph, check out Ref 3706 and it's replacement Ref 3717 which are the Pilot's Chronographs. I still have my 3706 (amongst other IWCs) and it is a great little watch. Whilst the MkII is a great watch, some degree of care is called for if you are looking for those sort of models.

IWC are challenging. On the one hand, they are nicely made and very manly, non-nonsense in their designs and the mvts are more than up to the task, as is, let's face it, practically anything from Switzerland. On the other, they are using std, if high grade ETAs and tinkering with them slightly, then slappping on bogus calibre designations and punting catalogues which are intentionally misleading and asking a high price to go with it. I second the idea of JLC- they ARE the real deal, no question.
Or if you want a manly watch with no question whatsoever about provenance or value, get a Sinn or Damasko.

I was heavily into IWC until I was introduced to JLC. I do love the 7 Days but my next will be the JLC Master Diver Navy Seal.

IWC 7 Days in White Gold
$IWC Portugese Automatic Black.jpg

IWC FliegerChrono St. Exupery
$IWC Fliegerchono Saint Exupery.jpg

JLC Master Compressor Navy Seal
$JLC Master Compressor Diving Automatic Navy Seals.jpg

$JLC Master Compressor Diving Automatic Navy Seals Lume.jpg

Very cool. I was looking at some of the JLC's last weekend in the shops when I was in St Maarten. Nice stuff, a little more partial the IWC look at the moment. Thanks guys!

Very cool. I was looking at some of the JLC's last weekend in the shops when I was in St Maarten. Nice stuff, a little more partial the IWC look at the moment. Thanks guys!

I like the new spitfire choronograph (below), especially the raised arabic numerals but can't get past the triple date window. Still on my list of possibilities depending on whether the AD wants to deal or not.

$Spitfire Chronograph IW387802.jpg

$IWC Spitfire Chronograph IW387803.jpg

The Spitfire is pretty damn sweet if I do say so myself, I tend to agree with you on the triple date window though, that's not a good look.

I've been eyeing an IWC Portuguese for a few years now. The white face with blue numerals looks great in person. I want to like the seven day reserve, but it is very thick compared to the thinner two day (I think) reserve.

I've been eyeing an IWC Portuguese for a few years now. The white face with blue numerals looks great in person. I want to like the seven day reserve, but it is very thick compared to the thinner two day (I think) reserve.

The 7 day automatic is 1mm thicker and 1.5mm wider because it has a date function.

I picked up a midsize Ingenieur a few years ago and I like it. Very solid little watch that I like for travel.
jpg.gif
jpg.gif

Attachments

• $Ingen.jpg
    $Ingen.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 104
  • $Ing2.jpg
    $Ing2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 103
There was apparently a poll of IWC 7day Port. owners on WUS and the accuracy of that movement was very low for the price. Averaging way out of COSC specs.

I have a Big Pilot and absolutely love it. You really can't go wrong with IWC. Most of the design proportions are spectacular.

Top Bottom