What's new

Robert Williams-A Gentleman's Gentleman

After having spent an unhealthy amount of time on Ebay looking for that perfect straight razor (my first), I remembered a wonderful in-depth review of a giraffe-bone razor submitted by Joel and decided to have a look at Mr. William's custom razors. As I am sure many members here can relate, I live in an area where there are very few places to browse around at decent shaving supplies, so you can imagine my surprise when I learned that Robert lived about ten minutes away.

So I called Robert, on a Friday evening oh, about 5:30 or so. I introduced myself, and explained my interest in his razors and asked if I could have a look in person sometime. About an hour later I was in the Williams family living room, sitting down and gazing at a vast array of some of the most beautiful vintage cut throats that mine eyes have ever seen. This was just the tip of the iceberg as I was invited to see where the magic happens, Robert's workshop. A trip to the basement was like stepping back in time to a medieval blacksmith's shop; the forge, the anvil, hunks of steel and exotic cuts of wood and bone. Let me tell you I was like a kid in a candy store. Robert showed me how the bone and wood are polished and shaped into scales, and the painstaking process in which the blades are forged and honed to perfection. To say it was a real treat would be an understatement.

After a quick straight razor shaving tutorial, Robert even offered to let me borrow a razor to practice with until I ordered my own. Talk about Customer Service! I admit that I am a novice, but I do know a good thing when I see it, and Robert's artistry is definitely a good thing. I couldn't be more pleased that my very first straight will be a one of a kind Robert Williams original, and will be happy to report how the first shave goes as soon as it arrives.

Bobby

now THAT'S a good way to start with straights. most guys only dream of ever owning a custom!

oh, i'm sure a few guys will be thinking "you don't even know if you like straights yet, let alone what you are looking for in a straight!"

I agree Randy, he's a real stand up guy. The process itself is really quite something. And he is very proud of his vintage collection too, and rightfully so, there are some real beauties in there.

Bobby

now THAT'S a good way to start with straights. most guys only dream of ever owning a custom!

oh, i'm sure a few guys will be thinking "you don't even know if you like straights yet, let alone what you are looking for in a straight!"

True, I'm sure there are those that may think that, but the worst case scenario is that I have a kick-a** conversation piece, and the sickest butter knife anyone has ever seen. But I have a feeling I am really going to like shaving with the straight !!:drool:

If everything goes well on my end I'll be placing an order in January :biggrin: Now the trick is to get everything to frigging go my way ACK!!!

Robert helped me get off on the right foot as far as shaving with a straight goes. He was extremely helpful to my newbie questions and sold me a beater strop and honed two of my eBay specials for a song. I hope to be able to commission something from him someday. He's a class act.

Top Bottom