What's new

Caring for Tortoise Shell.....

So i have a razor with genuine t-shell and am wondering how to care for it long term......i know it shouldn't be put with a silica pack but is an old razor box okay or will this dry them out as well?? also any tips on keeping them in tip top shape? thanks guys!

Four or five months ago I got a Joseph Rodgers wedge in tortoise scales which hadn't been cared for in decades. After cleaning up the blade, I gave the scales a thick application of neatsfoot oil and let it sit overnight. The result was a dramatic improvement. I then put it in a clean sock and threw it in a shoe box with the rest of my razors. After just taking a look prior to writing this, the condition is still quite good.

I don't know if this is the general recommendation, but it worked well for me.

Edit: Forgot to add that I cleaned the scales lightly with maas before applying the oil. Again, I don't know if that is recommended.

Last edited:
You can even go as far as to put some neatsfoot oil in a snack-sized ZipLock bag and seal the razor in with it for a couple of days.
When it comes out, buff the scales with a soft cloth, and they will look like new.

Top Bottom