What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

Read the full story on it's own thread, but here is my unexpected Rhodium OCMM...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

It was nice, but not what I wanted. I am still looking for that "perfect shaver". By the time I find the perfect shaver, I will be so old the hairs will stop growing on y face. I still have another few that I am waiting to try. I am trying to stay vintage if I can, but if not, I will need to try ordering one from BRW soon.

Ok Brothers and sisters, I took the plunge and did my test shave with the "New and improved New razor". (that's a mouth full).
After finding out that the cap on my new long comb was from a short comb, I loaded up the Dremel and removed the four little tips in the corners. After getting them flush with the underside of the cap and polishing, it did not look too bad at all.
Usual routine this morning, shower and then shave prep. I face lathered with my AOS Lemon Essential cream and went to town on my face. I admit, I was very nervous with this shave because I was working with something that "I" altered. I normally do a three pass and a touch up under the chin, but not this morning. Surprisingly I was able to do ONLY a two pass and one little touch up with this modified razor. No weepers at all. In fact, I really could not tell I was even using an open comb razor. This thing glided across my face so smoothly and effortlessly.
I can now see why everyone boasts about the Gillette New being so great. Thanks to everyone for helping me figure out what was wrong with this razor and finding a solution to fixing it. Now I want to find a New that was not modified to see if there is any difference.

I have made a decision about all my razors. This may sound crazy, but everyone needs some goals in their lives. At 60, I need to set a goal that can be fun and realistic so I have decided to try to find the different types of razors made in 1951. I already have two beautiful TTO Black Tips in cases that I use and love. I am working on a Gillette Tech in same year. I am hoping to land that one soon. I will need to do a little studying and see the various razor models made in my year and keep an eye out for them in the case. I do have one Tech that is fairly new, but will hang on to it because it too is a great shaver. Once I can find a Tech in my year that shaves great, I will let the newer one go to another good home. I am tired of buying different razors and having to pass them along because they are not right for me. At least if I obtain the ones only made in 1951, I have a good reason to keep them regardless of the shave I get. Sure it would be great to have each and every one of the razors shave like the New, but that will not happen I guess.
I will prep the rest of my razors for removal for the exception of a couple that I will absolutely not part with unless I had to trade for my birth year razors.
Looks like maybe one or two more den cleanings and done!
I will be keeping an eye out for all 1951 razors now! :1eye:

I'm glad it worked out better for you Frank. I was getting worried, I thought we had the one person in the world who did NOT like the LC NEW as a member of the BOTOC! We were gonna have to call an emergency meeting, and since Ralph is on vacation to the Scottish Highlands for mating season, he was not going to like it!

Well please call Ralph off now as I have been converted now. I have come close to doing only a two pass shave but decided to finish up my routine. this time it was a no brainer for me to stop at two passes. The razor was that smooth. Using the 7 O'Clock blue in it was extremely smooth and close, which is a good thing because I just ordered a hundred of the blades a couple days ago to try out. Now at least there is one razor in the stable that can handle them.

another acquisition, I can't wait to clean them up!

:thumbup:
pics after make over.....

My New open combs arrived today. I received a short and a long. When looking through the threads on the differences between them, it appears that some say the short comb shaves better while others say the long comb shaves better. Have to try them out to see which one suits me. The postman, along with complaining about how many packages I had today, also brought a ton of shaving-stuff samples. I never thought that I would look forward to shaving in the morning.
i cant wait for my face to get whiskers too, sometimes i shave 2 times a day.

Read the full story on it's own thread, but here is my unexpected Rhodium OCMM...
that looks brand new.............

I shaved with the GIllette 2 piece old type I got from Frank today

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/283931?p=4060034#post4060034

Sweet razor. THANKS FRANK!!!!!
frank is thee man.
Ok Brothers and sisters, I took the plunge and did my test shave with the "New and improved New razor". (that's a mouth full).
After finding out that the cap on my new long comb was from a short comb, I loaded up the Dremel and removed the four little tips in the corners. After getting them flush with the underside of the cap and polishing, it did not look too bad at all.
Usual routine this morning, shower and then shave prep. I face lathered with my AOS Lemon Essential cream and went to town on my face. I admit, I was very nervous with this shave because I was working with something that "I" altered. I normally do a three pass and a touch up under the chin, but not this morning. Surprisingly I was able to do ONLY a two pass and one little touch up with this modified razor. No weepers at all. In fact, I really could not tell I was even using an open comb razor. This thing glided across my face so smoothly and effortlessly.
I can now see why everyone boasts about the Gillette New being so great. Thanks to everyone for helping me figure out what was wrong with this razor and finding a solution to fixing it. Now I want to find a New that was not modified to see if there is any difference.
sounds sweet, and imagine if u would used it as a paperweight as u was thinking

I've joined the ranks of this exclusive club. I must say when I first started I was using a SS and a EJ. I was constantly getting red bumps and ingrowns. When I'd seek advice all I got was suggestions on technique, blade angle, lather, ect. Confident I had all these factors down I just got frustrated and went back to the sensor. Then I decided to give it another go and picked up an old type. That was the key to everything. I've never used a solid bar again and it's paid off big time. Every once in a while I'll step up to a straight, but it's alot of work and I'm just too lazy. So, if you see someone who's been trying and getting bumps and ingrowns, suggest they join the cult of OC!:thumbup:

I've joined the ranks of this exclusive club. I must say when I first started I was using a SS and a EJ. I was constantly getting red bumps and ingrowns. When I'd seek advice all I got was suggestions on technique, blade angle, lather, ect. Confident I had all these factors down I just got frustrated and went back to the sensor. Then I decided to give it another go and picked up an old type. That was the key to everything. I've never used a solid bar again and it's paid off big time. Every once in a while I'll step up to a straight, but it's alot of work and I'm just too lazy. So, if you see someone who's been trying and getting bumps and ingrowns, suggest they join the cult of OC!:thumbup:
we are also known as ingrown hair fighters,:a11::shaving:

I couldn't agree more!! For me I started using OC exclusively because they were simply more efficient... Less passes for me means less irritation. Even with the much loved Edwin Jagger DE89... My shaves were DFS at best, but usually meant at least 4 full passes and scrubbing to get a shave that left me comfortable to be seen in public (ask any Marine who tough out DI's were about shaving!)

Once I tried the new, I've never looked back.... And once I added Old Types, R41 and various other OC all of my OC love was reinforced.

Currently using a BRW NEW long comb with Bull Mastiff XXL handle but sent an email to Bob inquiring on getting a NEW short comb. OC's just give better shaves especially on my neck and they glide much better.

Top Bottom