What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

My Sheraton is a very gentle shaver. I love it. I'm trying to decide what's up with my Senator. It is identical to the Sheraton, just silver, but I get razor rash from it every time.

Is that senator from Illinois?? Former Senators from Illinois have been known to give LOTS of irritation!!:lol:

Just don't re-plate it in Rhodium...because then it becomes a President....:w00t:..

Seriously...your not the only one I've heard that from.....I wonder if others can chime in.....well...except for turtle...than man can shave with a shard of glass and get a smooth bbs shave.....LOL!!!

proxy.php

Picked up this razor last week. Not certain if it is a real Gillette as it has no markings other than serial numbers and patent date. Looks to be 1909 or 1911 and may be a mongrel. It does have a sound handle though with no apparent cracks which was a nice bonus. Here's a link to more photos and blurb about the razor: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/295282-Acquisitions-JUNE-2012?p=4196925#post4196925

Both my son and I took it on a test drive. He said it was quite decent when used with care. I made the mistake of loading it with a new Feather blade and shaving with it just before we attended a banquet on Friday night. It wasn't bad if one watched blade angle and applied no pressure. I must have hurried things a bit as it bit me above the lip, requiring a lot of mopping with a Kleenex while traveling down the freeway toward the restaurant. The bleeding had pretty well stopped by the time we arrived. I was dismayed though to return home a couple hours later to find dried weepers on my right cheek. It is probably not wise to test drive new razors before going out.

It wasn't uncomfortable at all though. I do believe that with due care taken, this razor could yield a decent and smooth shave. It is probably a razor that requires a bit more time and thought to properly manipulate for a good shave. It seems to be worth the effort it may require. I'm looking forward to trying it again when I have a day off.

Any thoughts on this razor's provenance or suggestions about shaving with the type would be appreciated.

proxy.php

@bluebishop

Believe me when I put in a WTB request I knew the chances of someone willing to sell one of the most sought after razors was virtually nil. Needless to say I got a PM from someone willing to sell it, and to have it in pristine condition just makes the whole deal sweeter.:001_smile

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Well, i thought i would let you fellow brothers and two sisters know that i finally received the Tradere.
Wow, was i surprised at how long the handle is; longest one i have seen on a DE. i compared it to the R41, Old Type and 1904 so that some of you could visually understand how long it is.
i guess i am used to my vintage Gillette open-comb handles. i will shave with it in its original composition for a few days to see how i find the handle and then i may try a Weber and a Bull Mastiff.
i will report back later. Here are the obligatory photos:

Congratulations on receiving your Tradere. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it after you've had a chance to use it.

@noelekal

That definitely looks like an Old Type. I briefly had one and despite the fact that is was regarded as more aggressive than the NEW I found it quite mild. Try a Gillette Yellow in it I always have good shaves with them especially in open combs.

Some better shots of the handles:

proxy.php

Mastiff XXL
proxy.php

Mastiff
proxy.php

@bluebishop: It is quite humbling to be able to own his razors they are indeed works of art.

Thanks for taking up close pictures, I love seeing the detail in his handles. They have really awesome knurling, do not see detail much like that these days, he will be deeply missed by all of us.

Well, i thought i would let you fellow brothers and two sisters know that i finally received the Tradere.
Wow, was i surprised at how long the handle is; longest one i have seen on a DE. i compared it to the R41, Old Type and 1904 so that some of you could visually understand how long it is.
i guess i am used to my vintage Gillette open-comb handles. i will shave with it in its original composition for a few days to see how i find the handle and then i may try a Weber and a Bull Mastiff.

Beautiful razor. im thinking of a tradere o.c. or joris o.c for my next razor. i currently use a 2011 r41. how does the tradere compare?

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
proxy.php

Picked up this razor last week. Not certain if it is a real Gillette as it has no markings other than serial numbers and patent date. Looks to be 1909 or 1911 and may be a mongrel. It does have a sound handle though with no apparent cracks which was a nice bonus. Here's a link to more photos and blurb about the razor: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/295282-Acquisitions-JUNE-2012?p=4196925#post4196925

Any thoughts on this razor's provenance or suggestions about shaving with the type would be appreciated.

proxy.php

It's a Gillette Single Ring in very nice condition. It's just a bit of an oddball. The Gillette Double Rings and early Single Rings only had the patent date on the handle and usually the serial number on the barrel. What's odd about yours is the barrel serial number seems to indicate that it dates to 1909 (as you already know) and the serial number on the guard indicates 1911. But yours would not be the first time Gillette did something odd or unusual.

Beautiful razor. im thinking of a tradere o.c. or joris o.c for my next razor. i currently use a 2011 r41. how does the tradere compare?

I have the 2011 R41 its a BMF :tank: love it!!! Got a Joris canadian walnut en route it will be my first true oc!! Curious how it stacks up with Tradere also!!

Hello gents and ladies! It looks like I've missed an exciting two days here on the BOTOC thread!!

I haven't been shaving as my life is falling apart. as you know I lost my job last monday and now my SWMBO has decided to leave me... which is rough since we share a living space.

shes staying elsewhere right now, but she didnt take her soap, cream, brush OR lady gillette with her!!! maybe I'll shave like a lady tomorrow!!!

no, I'm ready to wake up and use the LC New again. we're getting along much better now. It still bites me a little every time... but not nearly as bad as it did with that 3 use med prep in it!!!

And, I know I'm late to the party, but that coated razors that GD posted are really intriguing!!

Congratulations on receiving your Tradere. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it after you've had a chance to use it.

Thanks, Robin. i will inform all of you when i test it out.

Predict, i have not tested out the Tradere to compare to the R41. i will get back to you guys, soon.

See my comment below....

I have the 2011 R41 its a BMF :tank: love it!!! Got a Joris canadian walnut en route it will be my first true oc!! Curious how it stacks up with Tradere also!!

I guess due to my LOVE of the Fatip...if I had the money, the Joris would be my next purchase....The palladium and olive wood is perhaps one of the most beautiful razors I've seen....You MUST post tons of pics when it comes in...

Interesting razors with the special coating, but visually they don't work for me. When I look at that black and gold ball-end Old Type, all I can think is how much better it would look if it were all gold. I seem to be in the minority with this view, but for me, it would be a no-go. The Slim, in particular..........

Tried my FaTip with a brand-new Astra blade this morning. This was a pretty good combination. I haven't shaved with an Astra in at least 8 or 9 months. The FaTip is just smooth. Got a nice shave in two passes plus jaw-line touch-up.
I agree, I like them in silver or gold, not in black.

Another DFS with the LC New to report loaded with the SuperMax SP! This thing is really starting to grow on me (it better! I just picked one up on eBay :) as I've dialed in the correct angle and get a smooth pass each time. The sweet spot on the LC New is pretty easy to hit, as ya'll all suggested. Two passes on both head and face and had very little touch up. I've really concentrated on using NO pressure whatsoever recently and I think it's made a huge difference in my shaves...not just with irritation.

If I could high five you all, I would! :thumbup:
Great news, no pressure does it.....hi 5 for ya
proxy.php

Just got my BRW NEW short comb on Bull Mastiff to compliment my BRW NEW long comb on Bull Mastiff XXL Deluxe. Been wanting to try out both the long and short combs and I was finally able to get my hands on another one of Bob's(RIP) fantastic razors.

proxy.php

proxy.php
Great handles by a true B&B legend gone too soon.

Guys and gals,

I need to find an inexpensive open comb DE to convert my father with. I pitched the idea of DE shaving to him when we were out getting coals for the grill when we came across some fusion blades and he complained about them being so expensive. I gave him the whole talk of how efficient a DE can be with mowing down a beard so he doesn't have to use a trimmer before shaving and how blades are incredibly expensive and how it can really be good for your skin and it got him interested. An open comb would be perfect for him I think but I only have my Fatip and I have just started using it so I am not willing to separate with it yet and well, it is a bit expensive since I am sort of short on cash so I would want to find the least expensive OC possible! Ebay would work I guess but it would have to be able to ship to Sweden!

Thanks!
Old type runs like 20 bucks shipped

See my comment below....

I guess due to my LOVE of the Fatip...if I had the money, the Joris would be my next purchase....The palladium and olive wood is perhaps one of the most beautiful razors I've seen....You MUST post tons of pics when it comes in...

Im all over it!! Can someone explain the fatip to me is it a modern or vintage? Same head as Joris?

Glad to join the ranks of the BOTOC. I broke out my 2010 R41 just for this. I forgt what a great shaver it was.
Welcome aboard the BOTOC love train

I have been using both my newly nickel plated Long and Short comb razors Dave re-did for me and cannot get over the smooth and close shave each one gives me. I have not touched another razor since I got the razors back. I do not shave every morning now either. I will shave one morning and then have to shave again the following eveing. Next day will be a skipped day for shaving because there is nothing there to shave! So I have gone from 6 shaves a week, keeping one day for the face to recover and heal from any razor burn that may or may not have happened, to shaving only about 5 days a week now.
See, joining BOTOC is the gift that keeps on giving/saving

My Merkur 11C arrived today. I believe that I got one of the last still in the wild. The 11C and the NEW SC along with a NEW LC that will be here this week give me some OC razors to experiment with. I've been shaving with the SC and I'm anxious to see the differences between the three OC razors.
Keep us posted on the experiments.

We still want LOTS of pictures!
Spotz does too$e5297d97-7de4-44c0-8d78-33a0aac90773 - Copy.gif

please let us know how it compare

I'm thinking about looking for an OC TTO; Senator, Sheraton, or early '30's aristocrat. How are these razors? I like my New Standard and bulldog, but I'm looking for the convenience of a TTO. Would these be worth the search?
Sen/Sheraton are best mild/agressive razors compared to the others. I have both.

Is that senator from Illinois?? Former Senators from Illinois have been known to give LOTS of irritation!!:lol:

Just don't re-plate it in Rhodium...because then it becomes a President....:w00t:..

Seriously...your not the only one I've heard that from.....I wonder if others can chime in.....well...except for turtle...than man can shave with a shard of glass and get a smooth bbs shave.....LOL!!!
Ur on a roll funny today
proxy.php

proxy.php

Both my son and I took it on a test drive. He said it was quite decent when used with care. I made the mistake of loading it with a new Feather blade and shaving with it just before we attended a banquet on Friday night. It wasn't bad if one watched blade angle and applied no pressure. I must have hurried things a bit as it bit me above the lip, requiring a lot of mopping with a Kleenex while traveling down the freeway toward the restaurant. The bleeding had pretty well stopped by the time we arrived. I was dismayed though to return home a couple hours later to find dried weepers on my right cheek. It is probably not wise to test drive new razors before going out.

It wasn't uncomfortable at all though. I do believe that with due care taken, this razor could yield a decent and smooth shave. It is probably a razor that requires a bit more time and thought to properly manipulate for a good shave. It seems to be worth the effort it may require. I'm looking forward to trying it again when I have a day off.

proxy.php
Looks like a OLD TYPE knock off.

The joris/fatip is the best OC out there, according to the masses and me.

Hello gents and ladies! It looks like I've missed an exciting two days here on the BOTOC thread!!

I haven't been shaving as my life is falling apart. as you know I lost my job last monday and now my SWMBO has decided to leave me... which is rough since we share a living space.

shes staying elsewhere right now, but she didnt take her soap, cream, brush OR lady gillette with her!!! maybe I'll shave like a lady tomorrow!!!

no, I'm ready to wake up and use the LC New again. we're getting along much better now. It still bites me a little every time... but not nearly as bad as it did with that 3 use med prep in it!!!

And, I know I'm late to the party, but that coated razors that GD posted are really intriguing!!
Bill, hang in there. God has a plan for all of us that we must follow, just keep the faith!!!

Haha, no rough shaves just some slices to the dome by being careless. Even a poodle will bite you if you kick it!

Im all over it!! Can someone explain the fatip to me is it a modern or vintage? Same head as Joris?

Same head as Joris although the Joris may well be finished with a better coating. I don't think we have worked out yet who make, finishes and sells all these yet. I have a suspicion that Fatip and Joris may source these heads from a common supplier and then finish and sell them.

It is of modern manufacture and is made from brass.

I know of a couple of sources, shaving.ie in Ireland and Maguires Barbershop on ebay

I can't comment on the SWMBO as I am very fortunate there and can't imagine your feelings but I work as a contract worker in IT project management and I guess periods out of work are par for the course in this industry in my location. Hang in there, I have often felt down as projects finish with nothing solid to go for but every day is another possible new venture waiting to be sought out. Make your own luck and go out with a positive outlook and something will happen.

All the best.

Top Bottom