What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

No, and it won't be my last. He did a Y2 President, too.

$tumblr_micc2gNRQS1r8mx5to1_500.gif

Bought a Long Handle open comb by Premax, Italy thought it was more aggressive than both my 25c or my new long comb.
Gave a good shave but care was needed. It had a scary amount of blade exposure and was very vocal.
All in all it is a good shaver at a reasonable price available in 3 finishes. From Zamberg.com

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Alex, doesn't this picture belong in the "family pets" thread in the Barber Shop?:wink2:
BTW,I want to thank you along with thousands of others you have helped and informed over the years. Your extensive aid to me personally is very appreciated and I commend you on your almost infinite patience when I asked for advice. Not enough have that quality.

Bought a Long Handle open comb by Premax, Italy thought it was more aggressive than both my 25c or my new long comb.
Gave a good shave but care was needed. It had a scary amount of blade exposure and was very vocal.
All in all it is a good shaver at a reasonable price available in 3 finishes. From Zamberg.com

The Premax is basically a Fatip razor, they are renamed Premax and most sent to other places for resale, such as Australia too. The name stems from the town in Italy where they make the Fatips in Premena Italy....PreMax, Premena

Alex, doesn't this picture belong in the "family pets" thread in the Barber Shop?:wink2:
BTW,I want to thank you along with thousands of others you have helped and informed over the years. Your extensive aid to me personally is very appreciated and I commend you on your almost infinite patience when I asked for advice. Not enough have that quality.
Thank you Mike, and have learn from your wisdom too. You are a brave man for serving both in military and civilian life in State Police of Wyoming.

I am not being condescending. Why would i pick you out of thousands of members to do that. I have actually taken my time to inform you many times, and the reason i made the prior statement is because i thought you didn't acknowledge the information. I dont mind explaining any info a thousand times, just as long as you knowledge it.

I see that you acknowledge that 1900 to 1909 is early 1900 to you, but i have seen and read that early 1900 be from 1900 to 1903, mid 1900 would be 1904 to 1906 and late 1900 would be 1907 to 1909. So you can see why i thought that you considered my info irrelevant and i made the statement that sounded condescending to you.

I dont want you to feel indifferent to this situation, i was just trying to help you understand the Pocket Edition history. ..... and i do appreciate your brave military service since i do come from a military family.:001_smile

I used the term early 1900s (not 1900) in a general way because no one really knows when the thing was made. I certainly wasn't ignoring your posts, nor was I trying to misinform anyone. In fact I thanked everyone for their information in a separate post.

I used the term early 1900s (not 1900) in a general way because no one really knows when the thing was made. I certainly wasn't ignoring your posts, nor was I trying to misinform anyone. In fact I thanked everyone for their information in a separate post.

OK, lets get back to the razor. We have an idea that it was made past 1908 for certain, since that is when Gillette documented this model as a start date. The Canadian Pocket Editions were made after that date too because that is when they made a Montreal Gillette Factory in 1906. So we can ascertain that the razor you have was made after 1908 or 1909 when Canada started making a large number of Pocket Edition models. Your razor should have some numbers on the razor, but as stated before, the Canadian Number/date system was not an exact science.

This link has a lot of good info on Canada Gillette razors and dates. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Gillette_Canada_Dating_Information

$Capture.JPG

Last edited:
NO, Spotz only wants to see pics of razors or shave gear.:001_tongu

Had my best shave so far with my ATT Atlas M2 with a Personna Red on it's second use. It's nice to finally get a shave with no irritation on my lower neck.

Just traded for a 37c slant and at the same time I'm looking forward to getting a borrowed long comb New head to try....

How cool is this forum? I mention in a post that I'm thinking of trading for a New...and shortly after, I get a pm asking if I want to try one first to see if I like it!! BOTOC...what a great group of guys!!

Brothers my brothers......I want in!

I started WS with a Tech and EJ DE86 about 3 mo's ago and it was going OK. Picked up a Krona Kruiser replated Canadian NEW LC and a Ikon Bulldog handle about a month ago and have not picked up a SB razor since. Drastic improvement from the very first stroke! RAD kicked in pretty good after I found what I know was going to work for me so I just received a polished NEW SC head a few days ago and have a Parker 26C on order from BullGoose.

See a trend......

I couldn't help myself and ordered a R41 head that I want to wait a little longer to try.

The NEWS are crazy good for me. I have a friend at work who has been DE shaving for decades and had NEVER tried an OC. I let him borrow my LC and he came in to work the next day and proclaimed "where can I get one" so as you can see I'm already spreading the brotherly love.

Few pics of my NEWS

$IMG_20140325_132206_153-1.jpg$IMG_20140415_210327_634.jpg

My buddy let me borrow an old type, short comb, and long comb. I'm sold on the short combs and have picked up a couple at local shops. Just acquired an Adams Germany (I'm guessing Merkur rebrand given the logo on the handle) today and will field test it tonight to see how it compares to the Vintage Gillette's.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
My buddy let me borrow an old type, short comb, and long comb. I'm sold on the short combs and have picked up a couple at local shops. Just acquired an Adams Germany (I'm guessing Merkur rebrand given the logo on the handle) today and will field test it tonight to see how it compares to the Vintage Gillette's.

You ought to find the Adams to be a great shaver -- mine is. Is yours marked West Germany?

Top Bottom