What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

I know it's a cheap razor, but I have to give some love to my Cooper. Every so often I pull it out, put a feather in it, and get some of the best shaves possible. As I sit here 12 hours post shave, I have almost no stubble. I'm as smooth right now as I used to be immediately post shave. If you get a chance to pick one up cheap, I recommend it. It takes a proprietary blade, but a normal blade will work. I took a dremel to mine, but it wasn't necessary. For Spotz:
$cooper1.jpg$cooper2.jpg$cooper3.jpg

I know it's a cheap razor, but I have to give some love to my Cooper. Every so often I pull it out, put a feather in it, and get some of the best shaves possible. As I sit here 12 hours post shave, I have almost no stubble. I'm as smooth right now as I used to be immediately post shave. If you get a chance to pick one up cheap, I recommend it. It takes a proprietary blade, but a normal blade will work. I took a dremel to mine, but it wasn't necessary. For Spotz:
View attachment 439439View attachment 439446View attachment 439449
It seems to have an overly round cap, is it true?

I know it's a cheap razor, but I have to give some love to my Cooper. Every so often I pull it out, put a feather in it, and get some of the best shaves possible. As I sit here 12 hours post shave, I have almost no stubble. I'm as smooth right now as I used to be immediately post shave. If you get a chance to pick one up cheap, I recommend it. It takes a proprietary blade, but a normal blade will work. I took a dremel to mine, but it wasn't necessary.

I've considered buying a boxed Cooper when I've seen them on eBay (I have a grandson named Cooper and it would be cool to leave him a razor with his name on it) but.....a dremel? :scared:

Are there measures to be taken for a normal blade to work?

P.S. I can really relate to your signature. :001_tongu

Old type head vs NEW head, for me the NEW is bit more forgiving than the OLD.
FWIW, for me, the Old (thin cap) is slightly more aggressive than the New SC, which is slightly more aggressive than the Goodwill, which is slightly more aggressive than the New LC. And when I say "slightly," I REALLY mean slightly. If there were a way to do a blind test, I suspect I might not be able to tell which is which. I have not had the pleasure of trying a New Improved or the thick cap version of the Old. No matter what, all of them are great razors, all give me BBS shaves with, at most, 2 passes on the face and 3 on the neck/jawline, without any blood or irritation. I keep trying to narrow my rotation down, but I can't find any reason to eliminate any of them.

In order of preference:

1. Joris Palladium/Fatip Anthracite (I CAN tell a difference. The Joris is a little smoother, but the Fatip looks so cool with my Pendragon Handle.
2. Gillette Old Type, Thin Top Cap, Gold Plate. More aggressive than the Joris. I get a great shave, but I cannot use it when my tremors are really active.
4. Don't have #3 right now. Tied: Cadet/Razorock; Old Type Fat Top Cap; Gillette New SC (The last won't work on the Pendragon handle, but works great on my UFO Kaiser Long).

Feather blade in all of them
MWF Soap
Whipped Dog Silvertip, 24mm knot, 50mm loft; Extra-long Firehouse Handle for scuttle lathering
Simpson Wee Scot for face lathering
Becker Scuttle
Floid AS

With this gear I could conquer the world. :001_tt2:

So you go with OLD?

It seems to have an overly round cap, is it true?

It is a little more rounded than an Old.

I've considered buying a boxed Cooper when I've seen them on eBay (I have a grandson named Cooper and it would be cool to leave him a razor with his name on it) but.....a dremel? :scared:

Are there measures to be taken for a normal blade to work?

P.S. I can really relate to your signature. :001_tongu

A regular blade will work without modifications. I used it several times before I ground it down. Somewhere there are before and after pictures, I'll see if I can find them.

I have notice quite a few "nuts" at the end of the handle around here. One looks back at me in the mirror.

+1!

As I have mentioned, I am going through my rotation of mostly vintage Gillette OC's (New SC, New LC, Old, Goodwill) and a few other razors in an attempt to carve the rotation down to a single primary razor with a few others for variety. Today, it was the turn of my iKon Shavecraft 101 again. I have to say that it is a whole level smoother and more comfortable than the others, including my previous favorite, my New LC replated by Krona Kruiser. Unsurprisingly, I definitely prefer the OC side of the head. I may be putting some vintage Gillettes up on the B/S/T soon...

As I have mentioned, I am going through my rotation of mostly vintage Gillette OC's (New SC, New LC, Old, Goodwill) and a few other razors in an attempt to carve the rotation down to a single primary razor with a few others for variety. Today, it was the turn of my iKon Shavecraft 101 again. I have to say that it is a whole level smoother and more comfortable than the others, including my previous favorite, my New LC replated by Krona Kruiser. Unsurprisingly, I definitely prefer the OC side of the head. I may be putting some vintage Gillettes up on the B/S/T soon...
:w00t:

I know exactly what you mean. I think my slim and fatboy that I bought in the beginning of my RAD are going to be for sale as well.

Top Bottom