What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

So after shaving with my Merkur but the head still being closed, I decided to take everyone's advice and try an open comb.

I got the New bar handle (it's in the BST) and if anyone has any tips etc. please let me know. I'm going to try some more aggressive closed-combs before I jump into this one though, I am a little bit of a scaredy cat :)

BTW - Bishop I was not given a BOTOC discount :p

I agree with Kingfisher and others, OC aggressiveness is exaggerated, actually not necessarily true at all. I think they just look meaner, which may be part of their appeal. People love the New, everyone should try it, but my preference is for the New Improved. I think it might be technically more aggressive, but on me it shaves much smoother, and it's very effective.

I believe I too would like to go through the application process for the Brotherhood. I do understand it's intensive. I usually use OC's. Often it's French copies of Old Types, especially Leresche. Then one of my favorites is a Fasan bakelite open comb slant. Fantastic shave. Other stuff like Probak, British Souplex, whatever I can find to try. And the infamous R41. The New Improved is probably my favorite Gillette of any kind. Then here's one that probably some would contend is not strictly speaking an open comb; it's a controversial claim I know, but I say its teeth are just a different shape since the bar never touches your face. It's a Le Coq comb that I put with a Merkur 1904 cap and handle because the original razor arrived sort of messed up.

$P1010011.jpg

Here's a handful that I enjoy. Especially the Leresche lower right, Fasan lower left, and the Tuckaway. The other slant says "Trumpf" on the bottom, the German travel razor, of which there are apparently some 93 brands all pretty much the same, is a Cosmo, then that's a Probak on the right.

$P1010005.jpg

On page 3 of this thread is one of my favorites, which Toolmaster was terrific enough to have repaired recently!

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/286830-Oops-it-broke/page3

Been away from my OCs too long. I knew Ralph was up to something the other night, he disappeared just as I was pouring the 3rd scotch. Don't know what he did to my Old Type Ball Handle, but the results, well, let's just say they were less than perfect:

proxy.php

Been away from my OCs too long. I knew Ralph was up to something the other night, he disappeared just as I was pouring the 3rd scotch. Don't know what he did to my Old Type Ball Handle, but the results, well, let's just say they were less than perfect:

proxy.php

I told you Johnnie...be very careful of him...He gets very angry when you don't use a OC!!

How do you know this case belongs to a New?
I looked at the charts and the top of case only says Gillette on lower left corner.

Don't know for sure, but the case sure looks like a typical "Red and Black" case from the 1934 NEW razors.

I could be wrong.

Check out the "red and black" NEW on mr-razor.com and compare it with your case and see what you think.

Don't know for sure, but the case sure looks like a typical "Red and Black" case from the 1934 NEW razors.

I could be wrong.

Check out the "red and black" NEW on mr-razor.com and compare it with your case and see what you think.
Not the same case. the Red and Black case shows the razor set at an angle, and does not have the Gillette name on lower left corner of case.
My case has the Gillette name lower left corner of outside of case and the razor sets straight across in the case.

My general rule of thumb is... Mild razor - sharp blade, Agressive razor - sharp blade :biggrin:

LoL...pretty good rule...even though I tend to try to find a milder blade in more aggressive razors....I normally like Gillette Yellows but hated them in my R41....but found the Blacks perfect even though I find them as sharp...but less rough

I do believe that OCs have an exaggerated reputation for aggressiveness. I don't think a LC NEW is all that much more aggressive than, say, a Superspeed. The feel is slightly different, but it's not like you'll cut yourself to ribbons with it. You have to use solid technique with any razor.

If you are comfortable with a Merkur 34C, you should be able to jump right into a LC NEW. If you are still afraid of the 34C, and/or getting lots of cuts/nicks/weepers, you may want to wait until you are comfortable with it.

I guess then maybe I'll give it a go earlier, I always hear people talking about OC's as if they were murder, but the same is said for Feather blades, and while I haven't tried them, I have tried sharp blades, and I've yet to really cut myself, just irritation. Once while going sideways I caught the blade on my upper lip, but that was just a dumb mistake, don't really shave and come out with weepers luckily! Knock on wood!

I think the biggest secret is not to apply pressure on the razor. Let the razor and blade do all the work. At least until you know that razor and blade combo real well.

Johnnie and Frank, thanks for setting the record straight about the case! My bad.

Funny thing is that I have the Red and Black long-comb NEW and its case, so I theoretically should KNOW that the razor fits in the case diagonally. Once you mentioned that, I remembered perfectly.

Live and learn.

so Mr Ken did you like your gift? :badger: or are you still whipping up that lather?

You, my dear are a BRAT!!!:em3400: BUT...it did make me laugh!!!

April sent me a VINTAGE shaving set.........................for a KEN DOLL!!!!!!!!!

I'm waiting for the fatip to arrive, and when it does...will take pics of it, along with the Doll set, and my new single ring to post.....

Thanks for making me laugh today!!

Any time brother! HA! It was funny! It has your name on it even! And it is vintage and metal!
You, my dear are a BRAT!!!:em3400: BUT...it did make me laugh!!!

April sent me a VINTAGE shaving set.........................for a KEN DOLL!!!!!!!!!

I'm waiting for the fatip to arrive, and when it does...will take pics of it, along with the Doll set, and my new single ring to post.....

Thanks for making me laugh today!!

I don't understand what it is that makes one want to bear down on that razor against the face only to complain about 15 minutes later that their face is burning and then they can't shave for a few days after that and then blame the razor or the "poor" blades when it was operator error of pressing down on ther face.
Let that nice razor you have do the work for you. It knows what to do so let it do it!

Top Bottom