What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

I confess that I may have committed a mortal sin! Just got a Micromatic a couple of days ago that I've enjoyed for 2 days. But, it's a CC! I have to say, I love this razor - but I won't abandon my Old Type. And still looking for a NEW. Please advise of my penance. As long as it's not self-flaggelation!

Mmmmmmmmm..................................Joris........................................NICE!

Ken, I've tried the Joris and the FaTip side by side; shaved with the Joris one day and the FaTip the next. I altered Senator Bentsen's quote somewhat to illustrate the results:

"I know Joris razors. I've used Joris razors. My friends use Joris razors. Fatip, you are no Joris razor."

It's not, and I repeat, NOT even close. The Joris is better by a country mile.
Lovin the Joris too.

In the spirit of the original post, I thought I would share the shave routine which I used today for my first open comb shave, using the MicroMatic open comb (MMOC). Preliminarily, though, I should mention that I watched the following youtube video on the use of this razor ("GEM MMOC Tips"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUG2B_-D0d4

During the actual shave, I paid close attention to his grip suggestions. Now, on to the details.

First, there was no pre-shave shower. I soaked the brush (VdH badger, less than a week old, still with a slight wet badger scent to it) in the VdH lather bowl which came with the VdH Deluxe set. I also put a bit of water onto the shaving soap puck itself (VdH Luxury). Then I washed my face thoroughly using Grandpa's Pine Tar soap and followed that by holding a wet, hot washcloth to my face for maybe a minute and a half to properly hydrate the beard.

Next, the lather. Squeezing and shaking (gently) the brush, pouring the water off the puck, I swirled the brush around on the soap for about a full minute to really load it up with product. Then I turned to the actual lather making process. It took about a minute and a half before the lather started to explode. I continued for another couple of minutes or more, watching the lather continue to build all the while until I had a huge mound of whipped cream lather.

For the shave itself, I used a two pass (WTG followed by XTG) being a bit careful since I had read a number of stories about how wicked this razor is. The shave was not quite as good as I am used to from my GEM Jr. (same blade - the GEM Personna SS) but I attribute that to being extra cautious as well as needing to find the right technique with this new razor.

Sometimes I follow with Gentleman's Refinery AS (I'm still looking for an AS that features a slight aroma of wet badger), but today I just used a cold water splash.

Following the shave itself, I got curious about the lather and, though I was finished shaving, turned back to the lather bowl. Another 5 minutes or so of lathering, all the while it seemed to
keep on building, and even I got tired. What would happen if one continued for 10, or 15 minutes, or more?
what ken said,lol

As far as open combs are concerned, I would prefer a no moving parts razor as I worry about the TTO mechanism (or, in the case of the GEM Jr., the flip top). Do they ever break or wear out? Anyway, I'm looking at a Muhle 41.
no, they last 4ver,almost

Dude!!!
What is this!!!!

A little help here please!
joris paladium

Thanks for sharing your first experience!! I've never bowl lathered more than two minutes....I'm assuming you would turn that whipped shaving cream to shave butter!!LOL

View attachment 240237
true or whipped cream

New member of the BOTOC sayin hi. 2011 Muhle r41 and Merkur de travel are my 2 right now. The R41 is a dream but I will be adding more.
welcome buddy

I confess that I may have committed a mortal sin! Just got a Micromatic a couple of days ago that I've enjoyed for 2 days. But, it's a CC! I have to say, I love this razor - but I won't abandon my Old Type. And still looking for a NEW. Please advise of my penance. As long as it's not self-flaggelation!
u are forgiven for now

First Arley, now you? Poor Ralph, he's gonna have an annurism!

Even when using an open comb, I must finish the shave with superior experience of an Orginal Safety Razor

proxy.php

Will have to try that.... I'm not normally a bourbon drinker, but when I am...I drink pappy van winkle's family reserve 20 years old bourbon....if you haven't tried it, the finest bourbon that has ever passed my lips

Ken,

Pappy is an awesome bourbon! What is it, about 106 proof? Nice full bodied flavor.

Btw, I tried the R41 today for the first time, had the closest shave with a DE ever!

Great razor!:thumbup1:

Just curious, has anyone thought about making this a sub-forum or something like that? This thread is getting bigger by 2 or 3 pages each day.

I couldn't agree more!! For me I started using OC exclusively because they were simply more efficient... Less passes for me means less irritation. Even with the much loved Edwin Jagger DE89... My shaves were DFS at best, but usually meant at least 4 full passes and scrubbing to get a shave that left me comfortable to be seen in public (ask any Marine who tough out DI's were about shaving!)

Once I tried the new, I've never looked back.... And once I added Old Types, R41 and various other OC all of my OC love was reinforced.

+1 Me too! Now it collecting OCs! Man, i thought i was done with collecting razors!

Mike,
i will take the Single Ring you got from Frank if you are selling all of your DEs. Hehe! Let us know when you start selling!

Gillette Old, or New Long-Tooth Comb. That's my rotation now. You guys have ruined me for other razor types.

BTW, Alex, what is the deal with Long Tooth vs Short Tooth back in the day? Why did Gillette run two different head designs?

Just curious, has anyone thought about making this a sub-forum or something like that? This thread is getting bigger by 2 or 3 pages each day.

Haha I was about to say that checking this thread is a full time job

This has been addressed several times, but i will address it again. Before I started this thread....Brotherhood of the Open Comb, I had PM one of the mods and gave him my ideas about creating a group or sub forum dedicated to the love of Open combs. I was told that it would be presented in the mod forum, several days later I received this message"

Unfortunately, it's felt that the Social Group you suggest is a microcosm of the existing content in the Safety Razor Forum.

When we made the move from the old VB system to this newer one, a conscious decision was made to eliminate Social Groups that duplicate core content from the public forums.

The idea was to encourage folks to share publicly for all to see what many would not be able to see if it were in a Social Group.

I hope you understand where we are coming from on this, and that you know this is nothing personal at all, just what was felt was the best choice at this time.

Due to my request being denied, I started this thread...to be honest...I had no idea how large this thread would become, how many members would ask to join...how much craziness and fun we sometimes have ( I mean come on....how many threads do you read that have mention of a goat named Ralph.....and talk of onion !!..LOL....not to mention Single Malt and Cheddar)

I'm amazed how how many people I see on nearly every post that have BOTOC in there signature line....I'm also shocked at how hostile some people seem to react to the BOTOC and also joyed that it has sparked "copy cats" ...no disrespect meant, to ideas like tech tuesday and the Brotherhood of the traveling slant.

I still wish for more!! I want to see more activity..I want to see more post and ideas posted...I want to see more true brotherhood...I want to see our members get up and stand behind other brothers postings......we lost a member this week that is a great guy...partially because he never felt brotherhood or replies to his post in this thread, or post he would start.

We need to do a better job.....we need this to be THE resource everyone on B&B goes to to learn about open combs....we need to recruit members when we see open comb thread.

I have been blessed to have some "old timers" join our ranks and members with great knowledge Like Alex....I have been blessed to make new friends, Like Johnnie, James, Alex, Jeff, Sam, Randall, Frank...hell...way to many to keep naming that makes coming to B&B much more than just going to a razor forum...first and formost I wanted the BOTOC to be a group of friends....and I think we are getting close...but we need to move closer to extending our hand in friendship to our brothers. We have probably the most active female buyer of razors on this forum in our ranks.....Brothers....we are one of a kind and original!

I want this to keep going...for years and years to come...Arley and I have already created a Google plus page...maybe even a facebook page soon...

As we grow I would like to see things like group buys and discount to our members ...or a exclusive product just for the BOTOC ....ny winter I would LOVE to see a BOTOC designed Open Comb that we can offer...

So thank all of for joining this wacky and crazy thread and the Brotherhood of the Open Comb....I'm biased...but I think we are the best and most fun of any group or forum on B&B....and lets continue being that way!!

(forgive any typos or just bad grammer...its late..can't sleep so i posted!)

Last edited:
bluesbishop, You honestly bring a tear to my eye. The dedication and heart you show is speechless. If that did not raise our brothers and sisters off the seat, then their all of the non living.
I for one am proud to display my banner of BOTOC in my signature, and do enjoy the camaraderie we have in the forum.
We need Tee Shirts now. Tee Shirts that display our Brotherhood of the Open Comb! With a nice pic of a Gillette New Open Comb Razor!
I am honored to be part of BOTOC!

The Mods will monitor any thread activity and make the proper decision to modify it to make the B&B site a flawless and fun place.

This has been addressed several times, but i will address it again. Before I started this thread....Brotherhood of the Open Comb, I had PM one of the mods and gave him my ideas about creating a group or sub forum dedicated to the love of Open combs. I was told that it would be presented in the mod forum, several days later I received this message"

Due to my request being denied, I started this thread...to be honest...I had no idea how large this thread would become, how many members would ask to join...how much craziness and fun we sometimes have ( I mean come on....how many threads do you read that have mention of a goat named Ralph.....and talk of onion !!..LOL....not to mention Single Malt and Cheddar)

I'm amazed how how many people I see on nearly every post that have BOTOC in there signature line....I'm also shocked at how hostile some people seem to react to the BOTOC and also joyed that it has sparked "copy cats" ...no disrespect meant, to ideas like tech tuesday and the Brotherhood of the traveling slant.

I still wish for more!! I want to see more activity..I want to see more post and ideas posted...I want to see more true brotherhood...I want to see our members get up and stand behind other brothers postings......we lost a member this week that is a great guy...partially because he never felt brotherhood or replies to his post in this thread, or post he would start.

We need to do a better job.....we need this to be THE resource everyone on B&B goes to to learn about open combs....we need to recruit members when we see open comb thread.

I have been blessed to have some "old timers" join our ranks and members with great knowledge Like Alex....I have been blessed to make new friends, Like Johnnie, James, Alex, Jeff, Sam, Randall, Frank...hell...way to many to keep naming that makes coming to B&B much more than just going to a razor forum...first and formost I wanted the BOTOC to be a group of friends....and I think we are getting close...but we need to move closer to extending our hand in friendship to our brothers. We have probably the most active female buyer of razors on this forum in our ranks.....Brothers....we are one of a kind and original!

I want this to keep going...for years and years to come...Arley and I have already created a Google plus page...maybe even a facebook page soon...

As we grow I would like to see things like group buys and discount to our members ...or a exclusive product just for the BOTOC ....ny winter I would LOVE to see a BOTOC designed Open Comb that we can offer...

So thank all of for joining this wacky and crazy thread and the Brotherhood of the Open Comb....I'm biased...but I think we are the best and most fun of any group or forum on B&B....and lets continue being that way!!

(forgive any typos or just bad grammer...its late..can't sleep so i posted!)
Thanks Ken, I am proud to be a BOTOC Honorary Co-Chair, I will strive to do my best to give the proper informed knowledge and welcome any feedback if im wrong, thats how we learn.

After joining, I skipped a few days checking this thread. By the time I got back to it, I couldn't believe how far behind I was. This is a thread I check at least 3 times a day now. Great place to learn, enjoy the additions others make to their dens, and just have fun. Maybe we need to have Natchez create a LE BOTOC razor for us. This thread typifies what B&B is all about. What a bunch of great guys. If you guys would stop talking about bourbon and talk about real whiskey I think I could live on this thread. Time to show Irish Whiskey some love. If it wasn't so early, and I wasn't at work, I'd pour a nice glass of Tullamore Dew and read for the rest of the day.

Top Bottom