What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

The search is officially over after today's shave.

I think I will be selling all the rest of my DE razors after today's shave...

proxy.php

proxy.php

That is really nice Turtle! do you have a fatip? how does it compare? how about next to your R41??

If you sell the rest of your collection...I get first dibs !! Do not sell that single you got from Frank unless you PM me first!!...LOL

Just don't give him honey! It reminds him of the bee hive incident. The last person that tried to give him honey for his buscuit, well, they had a nice memorial service.

Oh man...the beehive incident!! that was BAD!!! he cant even stand to see a bee hive handled brush......

Yep,I know it's not a OC but it's still a great razor,I can do a headshave with the Joris and the Cobra,but the r41 likes to bite my dome.Still I get a great face shave from the r41, it just dont like my head :lol:

Ladies and gentlemen,
I have found a wonderful Spirit called Buffalo Trace. It’s a Kentucky Bourbon and it has a light smooth taste.
If you like bourbon you should enjoy it.

NOTE: I do not like bourbon very much but I like Buffalo Trace a lot.
Highly recommended!

http://www.buffalotrace.com/

That is really nice Turtle! do you have a fatip? how does it compare? how about next to your R41??

It reminded me of the R41 when I used it. lot of bite to it. Been a few days since I used the R41. I may need to drag it out and to a head to head with both of these.

Got BBS close after 3 passes which never happens.

Ladies and gentlemen,
I have found a wonderful Spirit called Buffalo Trace. It’s a Kentucky Bourbon and it has a light smooth taste.
If you like bourbon you should enjoy it.

NOTE: I do not like bourbon very much but I like Buffalo Trace a lot.
Highly recommended!

http://www.buffalotrace.com/

Will have to try that.... I'm not normally a bourbon drinker, but when I am...I drink pappy van winkle's family reserve 20 years old bourbon....if you haven't tried it, the finest bourbon that has ever passed my lips

Mmmmmmmmm..................................Joris........................................NICE!

Ken, I've tried the Joris and the FaTip side by side; shaved with the Joris one day and the FaTip the next. I altered Senator Bentsen's quote somewhat to illustrate the results:

"I know Joris razors. I've used Joris razors. My friends use Joris razors. Fatip, you are no Joris razor."

It's not, and I repeat, NOT even close. The Joris is better by a country mile.

In the spirit of the original post, I thought I would share the shave routine which I used today for my first open comb shave, using the MicroMatic open comb (MMOC). Preliminarily, though, I should mention that I watched the following youtube video on the use of this razor ("GEM MMOC Tips"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUG2B_-D0d4

During the actual shave, I paid close attention to his grip suggestions. Now, on to the details.

First, there was no pre-shave shower. I soaked the brush (VdH badger, less than a week old, still with a slight wet badger scent to it) in the VdH lather bowl which came with the VdH Deluxe set. I also put a bit of water onto the shaving soap puck itself (VdH Luxury). Then I washed my face thoroughly using Grandpa's Pine Tar soap and followed that by holding a wet, hot washcloth to my face for maybe a minute and a half to properly hydrate the beard.

Next, the lather. Squeezing and shaking (gently) the brush, pouring the water off the puck, I swirled the brush around on the soap for about a full minute to really load it up with product. Then I turned to the actual lather making process. It took about a minute and a half before the lather started to explode. I continued for another couple of minutes or more, watching the lather continue to build all the while until I had a huge mound of whipped cream lather.

For the shave itself, I used a two pass (WTG followed by XTG) being a bit careful since I had read a number of stories about how wicked this razor is. The shave was not quite as good as I am used to from my GEM Jr. (same blade - the GEM Personna SS) but I attribute that to being extra cautious as well as needing to find the right technique with this new razor.

Sometimes I follow with Gentleman's Refinery AS (I'm still looking for an AS that features a slight aroma of wet badger), but today I just used a cold water splash.

Following the shave itself, I got curious about the lather and, though I was finished shaving, turned back to the lather bowl. Another 5 minutes or so of lathering, all the while it seemed to keep on building, and even I got tired. What would happen if one continued for 10, or 15 minutes, or more?

As far as open combs are concerned, I would prefer a no moving parts razor as I worry about the TTO mechanism (or, in the case of the GEM Jr., the flip top). Do they ever break or wear out? Anyway, I'm looking at a Muhle 41.

Thanks for sharing your first experience!! I've never bowl lathered more than two minutes....I'm assuming you would turn that whipped shaving cream to shave butter!!LOL

View attachment 240237

In the spirit of the original post, I thought I would share the shave routine which I used today for my first open comb shave, using the MicroMatic open comb (MMOC). Preliminarily, though, I should mention that I watched the following youtube video on the use of this razor ("GEM MMOC Tips"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUG2B_-D0d4

During the actual shave, I paid close attention to his grip suggestions. Now, on to the details.

First, there was no pre-shave shower. I soaked the brush (VdH badger, less than a week old, still with a slight wet badger scent to it) in the VdH lather bowl which came with the VdH Deluxe set. I also put a bit of water onto the shaving soap puck itself (VdH Luxury). Then I washed my face thoroughly using Grandpa's Pine Tar soap and followed that by holding a wet, hot washcloth to my face for maybe a minute and a half to properly hydrate the beard.

Next, the lather. Squeezing and shaking (gently) the brush, pouring the water off the puck, I swirled the brush around on the soap for about a full minute to really load it up with product. Then I turned to the actual lather making process. It took about a minute and a half before the lather started to explode. I continued for another couple of minutes or more, watching the lather continue to build all the while until I had a huge mound of whipped cream lather.

For the shave itself, I used a two pass (WTG followed by XTG) being a bit careful since I had read a number of stories about how wicked this razor is. The shave was not quite as good as I am used to from my GEM Jr. (same blade - the GEM Personna SS) but I attribute that to being extra cautious as well as needing to find the right technique with this new razor.

Sometimes I follow with Gentleman's Refinery AS (I'm still looking for an AS that features a slight aroma of wet badger), but today I just used a cold water splash.

Following the shave itself, I got curious about the lather and, though I was finished shaving, turned back to the lather bowl. Another 5 minutes or so of lathering, all the while it seemed to keep on building, and even I got tired. What would happen if one continued for 10, or 15 minutes, or more?

As far as open combs are concerned, I would prefer a no moving parts razor as I worry about the TTO mechanism (or, in the case of the GEM Jr., the flip top). Do they ever break or wear out? Anyway, I'm looking at a Muhle 41.

New member of the BOTOC sayin hi. 2011 Muhle r41 and Merkur de travel are my 2 right now. The R41 is a dream but I will be adding more.

Top Bottom