What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

How much do i remove though? Do I take it down flush?

No. Just rear part of the posts (facing the towards the center of the caps), maybe a sixteenth of an inch. There are photos on this site that compare different base plates and caps. This should give you a good idea of what it would need to look like to fit. You might be able to eyeball it just by looking at how it fits together.

Aside from the corner posts, the shape of the cap of the two razor types are very similar.

What I will do is give it a try and if it does not work out for me, in the drawer it goes until I can use the handle and base again. Both base and handle are in real good condition. I cannot cry over spilled razor blades!!!! I think I have a total of $5 tied into this razor.

I didn't think it was right way back on the first post. I hope you get it fixed, the LC NEW is one of the best shavers out there.

Frank,
I'll pony up. What will it take to see it work?

Van (aka Mongo)

EDIT: OOPS! Looks like you're on your way.

Last edited:
nice, but im not a collector....or maybe i would
proxy.php

I've been reading this thread off and on ever since it was started; now I've finally decided to give my OC a try. It is a GEM MicroMatic (MMOC). I've heard this is a very aggressive razor, so I think I'll let my beard grow out for 2 or even 3 days and then try it just on the cheeks at first..
welcome anyways........

Hmm, they actually look like the right parts, but they are definitely not fitting together properly, based on the side view. I gotta look around a little more. The only way I can achieve that is with a goodwill cap, and the LC new base plate.

I tried a SC cap, and a Tech cap and they both mated to the New better than yours does.
heres his different base
proxy.php

Hi Ken,I'm not a member of BOTOC yet,but I also ordered a Fatip Grande.I understand the Joris has a similiar or the same head depending on who you ask.I used a Red IP in my Joris and got great results and I'll probably use the same blade in the Fatip.
welcome anyways....

Frank, this thread shows a mismatch simliar to yours:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/146125-Help-Mismatched-Cap-amp-Comb-on-NEW

Haven't finished reading the thread yet to see where it came from. :)

Ah, reading the thread further, yes it appears that your cap is from a SC New. The SC apparently can accept larger corner nibs, and still close, whereas the LC can not. I'd definitely encourage you to try a properly matched LC New...they're awesome.
heres his diffrent base, i rember this thread from 3 year ago
proxy.php

So I guess my razor just became a paper weight then?
not really

Mr. Elderberr99-
I think the issue is a short comb cap on a long comb base plate. The short comb baseplate has cut-outs at the corners to accommodate the longer stabilizing posts on the cap's corners.
Before you toss the shaver you might grab a small metal file and grind it down a little, finishing up with 220 grade sandpaper and steel wool. I'll bet it wouldn't take more than a couple of minutes and then you're ready to lather.
true see above plates/base

Ok, did a little filing and polishing. Here is what the cap looks ike now. One pic has the razor blade in place as well.
View attachment 239942View attachment 239943View attachment 239944
niceeee

Thanks, now who want's to be the first to see if it worked??????? :07:
not me

No. Just rear part of the posts (facing the towards the center of the caps), maybe a sixteenth of an inch. There are photos on this site that compare different base plates and caps. This should give you a good idea of what it would need to look like to fit. You might be able to eyeball it just by looking at how it fits together.

Aside from the corner posts, the shape of the cap of the two razor types are very similar.
heres the gap
.58mmGillette NEWBall-end, 54; square end, 51

too late. took it down already
never too late

My New open combs arrived today. I received a short and a long. When looking through the threads on the differences between them, it appears that some say the short comb shaves better while others say the long comb shaves better. Have to try them out to see which one suits me. The postman, along with complaining about how many packages I had today, also brought a ton of shaving-stuff samples. I never thought that I would look forward to shaving in the morning.

Top Bottom