What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

All these modern razors here...maybe we need a Brotherhood of the Old Open Comb Razors (BOTOOCR), or Brotherhood of the Original Old Vintage Open Combs Exclusively (BOTOOVOCE) or Brotherhood of Opencomb Gillettes Including - Only Nonmoderns (BOOGI-ON) to make us vintage using guys feel at home.
Or Brotherhood of the really expensive current production razor (BOTRE-CPR) for us Joris users.

I'm thinking this beauty will gain me membership:

proxy.php

RAD membership is an automatic once one joins B&B!!! Welcome to B&B and Enjoy that Old Type!!

I think I realized that after I went on the bay, saw an old type expiring in 3 minutes and bid probably more than it was worth.
From 0 to 3 in the space of 2 weeks.
Yeah, I got it bad... :)

$Head markings.jpgWell fellows, I applied for membership a few minutes ago with a PM to BlueBishop. I don't have pics of all of mine, but I do have a few pics. Well I can't get the pics to move where I want them so I will just adjust my description. The first pic is an old Wade and Butcher OC that I haven't used yet, as I will have to modify some modern blades as it has square posts. The bottom pic is my 1917 Milady set, it is my father's birth year razor and i think of him whenever I use it. These aren't the only OCs I have, but should be enough to get me in the club.
$546445965_o[1].jpg

View attachment 231577Well fellows, I applied for membership a few minutes ago with a PM to BlueBishop. I don't have pics of all of mine, but I do have a few pics. Well I can't get the pics to move where I want them so I will just adjust my description. The first pic is an old Wade and Butcher OC that I haven't used yet, as I will have to modify some modern blades as it has square posts. The bottom pic is my 1917 Milady set, it is my father's birth year razor and i think of him whenever I use it. These aren't the only OCs I have, but should be enough to get me in the club.
View attachment 231575

That wade and butcher is pretty sweet!! I've never seen one before!!

Welcome to the BOTOC!!

Thanks, guys. I got it from AmishMotorboat from ebay. I didn't read the description as the auction was closing fast and I wanted it. Didn't know it took proprietary blades until I had already won it. I still love it, as W&Bs are some of my favorite straights, and I have a few. I thought you guys might like that one.
$Whole razor.jpg$DSCN0958.jpg

Last edited:
The blades are 3 times thicker than modern blades and have square pegs instead of round. MyCarver posted one he got in a box of items he found. I haven't found any yet.

I am wondering if one was to use a hole puncher on current production blades if they would work. I have a pack of old Gillette blades that are very thick, not sure what they are made from, carbon steel I think.

Need to punch square hole though. I am going to try to make some with a Dremel and cut off the tips. MyCarver did some and they looked prretty good. The problem is if they aren't even the blade won't sit evenly in the head.

Need to punch square hole though. I am going to try to make some with a Dremel and cut off the tips. MyCarver did some and they looked prretty good. The problem is if they aren't even the blade won't sit evenly in the head.

Hmmm...I wonder if you could go to a office supply and get a paper punch to do the trick??

First shave with an OC for, good WTG then some difficulties with XTG, ATG.
Loaded with a 7 O'clock yellow, I need more practice and some advices because I'm a slant user, the open comb is a really different feeling for me, looks like the blade pull the beard very strongly before cutting it :/
View attachment 231628

Last edited:
Loaded with a 7 O'clock yellow, I need more practice and some advices because I'm a slant user, the open comb is a really different feeling for me, looks like the blade pull the beard very strongly before cutting it :/

Well it been said many times before, but proper prep is essential. For me, every open comb needs to be approached slightly different, but the correct angle for me is with the curve of the head almost parallel to my skin. The flat part of the blade cap and the tips of the comb is what should be touching. I read that advice from a member here ( don't remember who, so that I could credit them with that advice!) but it what seems to work well.....I will say that I find open combs to be very intuitive and will give you the proper feedback for angle.

View attachment 231628

Play around with your angles a bit. My guess is that a slant will bend the blade further than will your New there. If this is so, then you will need to to hold the OC at a steeper angle (with the top plate closer to your face) than you would use with the slant.

+1. Shallow blade angles are what you need with most OC's (R41 is a bit of an exception, as the heavy blade exposure lets you use it at pretty much any angle). Most OC's though have a geometry that's geared toward low blade angle. Start with cap squarely on your face, then move the handle down until you get cutting action. You shouldn't have any pulling at all.

Well it been said many times before, but proper prep is essential. For me, every open comb needs to be approached slightly different, but the correct angle for me is with the curve of the head almost parallel to my skin. The flat part of the blade cap and the tips of the comb is what should be touching. I read that advice from a member here ( don't remember who, so that I could credit them with that advice!) but it what seems to work well.....I will say that I find open combs to be very intuitive and will give you the proper feedback for angle.

Had my first ever shave with an OC today. It was with my Short Comb New. I would call it a trans-formative experience... I still love my slant, but that OC is sweet. I'm going to send it in to be replated once I have the funds to pick up another vintage OC to take it's place in the rotation while it's gone. I'd send it now but am short on funds due to a short notice relocation for a dream job.

Needless to say I can't wait 'til I'm moved and settled so that I can pick up another OC and get this one replated. I'm sold!

Had my first ever shave with an OC today. It was with my Short Comb New. I would call it a trans-formative experience... I still love my slant, but that OC is sweet. I'm going to send it in to be replated once I have the funds to pick up another vintage OC to take it's place in the rotation while it's gone. I'd send it now but am short on funds due to a short notice relocation for a dream job.

Needless to say I can't wait 'til I'm moved and settled so that I can pick up another OC and get this one replated. I'm sold!

Welcome to the joys of shaving with a open comb. That was my experience when I first shaved with one....I was like OMG!! it was smooth, it did a great job on stubble reduction and I had no irritation.....I had read all the post saying how aggressive they are and not for noobs...stick with a superspeed or a tech, but the OC NEW made me rethink all of my other razors.

Top Bottom