What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

Just received my 3rd OC, a short comb NEW. The gold plating is pretty much intact, as compared to my LC NEW.
And, Alex, I will try to get pics put up of it. I'll clean it up in the next couple days (gently, of course) and post pics then. The cap has what appears to be water spots on it. There's a couple spots on the handle that could be verdigris as they are definitely green.

We LOVE to see pictures around here! Most of our brothers here prefer the long comb...I may be the exception...I love the SC...great shave every time. I used the LC today, and for me, it doesn't feel as intuitive as the SC NEW...I love them both, but I give a slight edge to the SC...

Enjoy your new razor Mike!!!

Did you use Brasso to strip, buff., and polish the surface?

If that was for me...no...I used Mother's first followed by Mass...I put a small amount on a folded piece of newspaper and rub rub rub...provides a great mirror finish! My Cap of the LC looked far more scratched than Mooshi's...looked like someone hit it with coarse grit sandpaper...

I need a little help from the brotherhood regarding my new favorite razor. I think it is a New Norfolk chromium common bar handle, however my razor has a thinner handle. Anyone have any more info on this razor?

Reissue pat no 17567
Pat nos 1815745 - 1858316

Thanks in advance.
$IMAG0176.jpg$IMAG0177.jpg

I need a little help from the brotherhood regarding my new favorite razor. I think it is a New Norfolk chromium common bar handle, however my razor has a thinner handle. Anyone have any more info on this razor?

Reissue pat no 17567
Pat nos 1815745 - 1858316

Thanks in advance.
View attachment 234869View attachment 234870
i know the bar
rare New Improved "Gillette Norfolk" Set similar to the Tuckaway with the
very rare common bar handle. This set includes the case with an Art Deco lid, the blade box,
proxy.php

and the razor.

You're right. The handle is thinner. That is a less common variant of the Bar. I have never saw one in chromium though.

proxy.php

Thanks Alex and Johnnie. I was initially thinking about having this razor replated, but I've already decided against that since I love it just the way it is.

Thanks Alex and Johnnie. I was initially thinking about having this razor replated, but I've already decided against that since I love it just the way it is.

On a razor like this I would agree with you. It adds a little more character than a pretentious replate.

If that was for me...no...I used Mother's first followed by Mass...I put a small amount on a folded piece of newspaper and rub rub rub...provides a great mirror finish! My Cap of the LC looked far more scratched than Mooshi's...looked like someone hit it with coarse grit sandpaper...

Excuse me, you got that mirror-like finish with newspaper? That would be like 880 grade sandpaper. What are "Mothers" and "Mass," polishing compounds?

I'm expecting a couple of project razors. If I can get the camera working I'll post before/afters.

Excuse me, you got that mirror-like finish with newspaper? That would be like 880 grade sandpaper. What are "Mothers" and "Mass," polishing compounds?

I'm expecting a couple of project razors. If I can get the camera working I'll post before/afters.

Maas, Mother's, Blue Magic and few similar compounds are polishes for metals and work great for electroplated surfaces. However, care must be taken not to use compound with too many microabrasives (Brasso) because they may clean some electroplating clean off (especially gold plating). Newspaper isn't very rough and acts as a soft-buffer (it won't scratch nickel plating but it will polish the heck out of brass and copper). Not recommended for gold either. BTW, I clean windows using windex with old newspaper. I used to see people cleaning windows like that on the Mexican border and it works great.

Yes, I know the newspaper trick for mirrors and windows. Again, if I want to lose the gold-tone plating (Traveling Antique Roadshow be damned), should I just go at it with Brasso?

One more question. I cleaned this thin bar Gillette new chromium razor with soap and scrubbing bubbles already, but I was unsure if I should use Maas. Would the Maas strip the rest of the plating off or damage this razor in any way?

Yes, I know the newspaper trick for mirrors and windows. Again, if I want to lose the gold-tone plating (Traveling Antique Roadshow be damned), should I just go at it with Brasso?

Brasso is great for that. I just did that to a Goodwill a few days ago and it cleaned up great (it cleaned the old plating right off). I would also use Maas or Blue Magic afterwards. It leaves a tiny clear protective coat behind that protects the metal and lasts a while. Raw copper will oxidate rather quickly.

One more question. I cleaned this thin bar Gillette new chromium razor with soap and scrubbing bubbles already, but I was unsure if I should use Maas. Would the Maas strip the rest of the plating off or damage this razor in any way?

Maas should be safe for most silver colored plates. I've used Blue Magic and Maas on Silver plating with success. However, to be safe, try a small area and don't buff too hard. A terry cloth and or old jewelry cloth (the untreated one) works great to polish the stuff on. Old shirts are good too.

My newly received Tradere handle with 1904 OC head.
$IMAG0136-1.jpg

Here is the same head with BRW 4" slim deluxe handle (looks great isn't it :walkman:)
$IMAG0128.jpg

Real quick demo. This is a Brasso before/after. I stripped the old plating with Brasso and it only took 5 minutes. Please don't do this on plating you like.

$Brasso#1.jpg$Brasso#2.jpg

Thanks, I really like the weight on these monster handles. I'm waiting for Bob to be back in operation again, haven't got my new OC head from him.

1904 OC head looks kinda thin, he's being eaten by the bull mastiff!!!

A replated Goodwill head with the diamond cut-out would look amazing on one of those handles. How much does the Tradere handle weigh?

Top Bottom