What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

Had the perfect shave today! I used my R41 with an Iridium Platinum blades. No blood, no nicks, no irritation. Used RazoRock cream, my Badrunner13 custom brush, finished up with Ogalla Bay Rum. Even the Bay Rum couldn't find any irritation. And I have to say, look at the lather left after 4 passes! I scraped it off into the Barbers mug, it was 3/4 full of lather. After the shave!
$DSCN0342.jpg

Had the perfect shave today! I used my R41 with an Iridium Platinum blades. No blood, no nicks, no irritation. Used RazoRock cream, my Badrunner13 custom brush, finished up with Ogalla Bay Rum. Even the Bay Rum couldn't find any irritation. And I have to say, look at the lather left after 4 passes! I scraped it off into the Barbers mug, it was 3/4 full of lather. After the shave!
View attachment 243207

WOOHOO!!!!! Getting the R41 down!! Nice!!!that's alot of extra lather!! time to reduce the amount you use! LOL
Did I hear you say 4 PASSES!! Thats alot of passes with the R41!!!

The Iridiums, Gillette Blacks and Red Personna are my fav R41 Blades!!

Did I hear you say 4 PASSES!! Thats alot of passes with the R41!!!

I do four as well... although it's really more of a 3+, I do an ATG on cheeks and jawline on the 4th pass, but skip the neck (but do touch-up there if needed). I'm trying to get to where I can eliminate that last partial pass, but my jawline is just really stiff hair. It takes some work to get it BBS.

Yeah Ken, 4 lathers, but really just 3 passes & a touchup. I had enough lather that I fully lathered for the touchup. I'm like James, under my jawline is tough. I just did like 5-10 seconds of swirling in the mug of RazoRock. A little of that stuff goes a L O N G way!

I do four as well... although it's really more of a 3+, I do an ATG on cheeks and jawline on the 4th pass, but skip the neck (but do touch-up there if needed). I'm trying to get to where I can eliminate that last partial pass, but my jawline is just really stiff hair. It takes some work to get it BBS.

Yeah Ken, 4 lathers, but really just 3 passes & a touchup. I had enough lather that I fully lathered for the touchup. I'm like James, under my jawline is tough. I just did like 5-10 seconds of swirling in the mug of RazoRock. A little of that stuff goes a L O N G way!

Wow...I will really need to try the razorock! which scent do you have? I'mm thinking the XXX...

Depending on the day, I do either 2 or three passes with the R41....plus touch ups....my problem areas are my jawline and under my chin on the sides of my goatee.....lots of buffing with any razor there.

I used my Fatip today, plus the R41 for touch ups...tried the yellow in the R41 and it bit me today on my jawline!! I though I would give the yellows another shot in the R41....forget it!! never again!!

That new brush you made looks like it is doing a awesome job at lather!!

Back to the R41.....curious if you and James have mapped out your face....I have my face in zones based upon my growth patterns. if you seen me shave it would like like i'm doing various passes per pass...but im not! For example lower neck going S -N is WTG not ATG as you might assume.....upper neck going sort of half of V shaped N-SW on my right side is ATG....
Face mapping made a huge difference with the R41 and reducing passes...I can typically get a BBS with 2.5 passes

I've not really mapped it. I need to. I have really funny directions in my growth. Like you, a s-n pass around my windpipe is WTG, but on either side I start at the center & go out & up for a WTG pass.
The RazoRock is XXX. It is some F I N E stuff. I wish it had a Bay Rum scent. I'm going to check and see if they do. I should get my Weber in monday, and the FaTip should be here the end of the week. I can hardly wait. Then I have to convince someone to send me a Tradere for half what they paid. Then I'll be set!

Back to the R41.....curious if you and James have mapped out your face....I have my face in zones based upon my growth patterns. if you seen me shave it would like like i'm doing various passes per pass...but im not! For example lower neck going S -N is WTG not ATG as you might assume.....upper neck going sort of half of V shaped N-SW on my right side is ATG....
Face mapping made a huge difference with the R41 and reducing passes...I can typically get a BBS with 2.5 passes

Yeah, I've got it mapped out. I do two WTG and two ATG (although, skip the neck on the extra ATG). I'm all over the place in terms of actual direction, depending on the way the hair goes. My neck has three separate zones I need to do to keep in a particular orientation to the hair. I think to get down to sub 3 passes, BBS everywhere, I'd need to skip the WTG, and just go ATG for all passes. That said, I'm in very good shape after two passes (and BBS over most of my face), it just the takes the extra to get ultra-smooth everywhere.

Great! I have been feeling like I have lost my mind lately with double guessing myself on some of them :) well then I think I got a decent deal on this one :) We will see when it arrives and I clean her up, but she seems to be in good shape just dirty!

Yep, single ring.

I shave with open combs almost exclusively. Single ring or #15. Can't go back.

Ben
Ken!!! do I see a future BOTOC'ER?

Sounds like you need to join the brotherhood !
Agreed

Thats alotaa lather dude, looks like a good shave day. LOve it.

My weekend acquisition I hope I can clean it up well. I sure do love it when someone accepts an offer :)
You are trail blazing , not alot of females here in USA or internationally collects or have the knowledge of Traditional shaving like you do. We BOTOC'ers and B&B members feel very fortunate and proud to have you.

I am betting that you will do an excellent job on the clean up and make it shine once again.
Agreed!!

not to sound like a total idiot but I really was not sure which one this is LOL Can you tell me? I was guessing it was a single ring
Single ring

Alex you are beyond sweet :) I am just learning ..I just seem to have an eye for some nice deals :) Well I am a good bargain hunter and pretty good at scrubbing!

April does it again! Congratulations, sister! i have a thing for Single Rings! Make sure you show pics when you finish cleaning her up!

I am really Jonseing to get my Leresche OC.... It should be here Monday (I hope). Takes forever to get things from France it seems. I know it will be worth it once it arrives.

attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

Mike, so that was you who won that! Man, i was going to bid on it, but just a bit too much for me. Maybe i should have had it sent to my uncle who is in Paris! Darn, maybe next time! Let us know how it goes and some pics, please!

Top Bottom