What's new

MUHLE Silvertip Fiber pass around

$3-24-2012 5-55-40 PM.jpg
In a recent poll, I was surprised at how few members have used synthetic brushes, especially the newest generation of brushes now available. Here is your chance to try a new MÜHLE Silvertip Fibres© synthetic brush in a 23mm knot.

Participants are free to try it for one week, in return for posting their impressions of it in the MÜHLE Silvertip Fiber pass-around thread right here. I am interested in your opinions.

The pass around is available to B&B contributors only. Details can be found in the Contributors' Corner.

Last edited:
Hi all - I received the brush and Muhle cream from Codfish today. Thought I would post up some initial impressions and my "plan" for the week.

The brush packaging is a simple cardboard tube, but about as nicely done as a cardboard tube can be. Very German I would say, simple, elegant and utilitarian. From a few paces the brush could, IMO, easily pass for a natural badger brush. When you get up close, the bristles have a shine to them, whilst my badger brushes have a matte finish. On the hand, the bristle tips feel very similar to my Simpsons Best Berkeley. I did a sniff test of the Muhle cream and the scent reminds me a lot of my Mike's Natural "Barbershop" shaving soap. Really looking forward to tomorrow AM's shave to get my trial week started!

My usual week has 5 or 6 shaves. I plan on using a shave stick and face lathering tomorrow AM. Then, in no particular order, I will use a soft cream (probably the Muhle cream), a hard cream by QCS, a hard soap from Mama Bear and another soft cream. If I get in a 6th shave I will probably try another hard soap.

I'll post up a "mini review" here of the brush after my shave tomorrow, with more mini reviews coming for each shave during my trial week.

Here is the trial gear. The shadow is my cat, supervising (you can see a bit of his paw on the right). Don't worry, he doesn't like shaving brushes!

View attachment 233209

Teiste Brito demonstrates the 23mm Silvertip Fibres brush:

Last edited by a moderator:
i just received mine and have used it twice now, once with the new Tabac that i finally got today, and once with Arko. the brush is great once you get used to it, i really like it. it has enough backbone to lather hard soaps, and is soft enough (if you use a gentle touch) not to exfoliate too much - i hate scritch in my brush and i like this one.

Ok B&B, after a nice long day at work, I'm finally relaxing on the couch and here is my first day review of the Muehle Silvertip Fiber!

This morning, I face lathered with my trusty Arko stick, and in no time I looked like the gentleman in the video Codfish posted above! In about a minute, I built an extremely thick and cushioning lather on my face with enough in the brush for another three passes (easily). The first pass was a touch dry, but dipping just the very tips of the brush in water easily added enough water to slicken the lather right up while still retaining the thickness and cushion. Two more passes and I had a very comfortable shave, CCS on my neck and DFS on the cheeks. I'm not going for super-close shaves this week so I always have stubble to mow down the next day for the brush test.

Here are answers to the questions that were suggested for the brush review:
1) Water retention: Does it hold water sufficiently enough?
Yes, absolutely. Holds more water than my Omega Pro 49, which has significantly more loft. On a "brush size" basis, I would say it holds about the same volume of water per unit of brush size as my Simpsons Berkeley Best. Before lathering the Arko, I unloaded the water in the brush with three sharp downward pumps over the sink.

2) Loading: Does it pick up soaps and creams easily?
I won't be able to answer this until later in the review week, but based on how the brush handled face lathering, my initial impression is yes.

3) Lather: Does it built and apply lather well?
Face lathering the Arko was fun and effortless with great results.

4) Application/Backbone: Does it allow for a soft/smooth/effective application of lather to the skin.
The brush seems to be a good combination of floppy and stiff. I will have a better opinion after a few more uses, but lathering the Arko was definitely soft and smooth with good backbone!

5) Quality feel: Does the synthetic brush have the “quality” feel against the skin? Would it pass a blindfold test against naturals?
Yes, face feel is outstanding. *Disclaimer I do not own a natural silvertip brush.* However, compared to my Simpsons Berkeley Best, it is softer and with less "skritch". I am going to try and get a friend over later in the week to pull off a real blindfold test.

6) Appearance: Is the look of the brush attractive?
The knot itself is almost as attractive as real badger, a 9 if real badger is a 10. This is highly subjective obviously. I'm not a huge fan of the handle, it's "okay" but I could use another knurled ring for better grip, we shall see how my grip is on the brush when bowl lathering.

Here is a shot of today's set up. Arko, Gillette Gold Contract Tech with a Big Ben blade and the Muehle Silvertip Fiber after face lathering for the first pass. It may not look like it but there is at least three more passes worth of lather in there.

$Arko & Muehle.jpg

Thanks Chris. What is your lathering technique? Dry-ish brush, or more like Marco? And do you prefer paintbrush strokes or circles?

Thanks Chris. What is your lathering technique? Dry-ish brush, or more like Marco? And do you prefer paintbrush strokes or circles?

I guess I use a semi-wet brush? I soaked the brush for a minute (though I hear you don't need to soak synthetic brushes) while I applied the Arko stick to my face. Took the brush out of the sink and gave it three sharp downward pumps to lose some of the water. I started with circular strokes until the lather got some "momentum" going and then switched to paintbrush strokes, very similar to what the gentleman in the video above does, but I switch to the paintbrush action sooner.

Today was the Muehle cream, bowl lathered with the Muehle Silvertip fiber (obviously)! Full review to follow later today, probably after work. Thanks guys!

Hi B&B - here is my second day review of the Muehle Silvertip Fiber!

This morning, I bowl lathered with an almond sized dollop of the Muehle Sandalwood cream that Codfish was kind enough to send with the Muehle brush. I gave the brush two stiff vertical pumps to drain some of the water and proceeded to bowl lather. At first I thought there was WAY too much water in the brush and almost added more product. But I decided to stick with it and see what happened. After about a minute and a half or so I had created maybe the best lather I had ever made. Brushed it on my face with a paintbrush motion and the lather was VERY thick with lots of cushion and plenty slick. I didn't need to add any water.

Here are answers to the questions that were suggested for the brush review:
1) Water retention: Does it hold water sufficiently enough?
Yes! So much so that I need to recalibrate my technique a bit I think.

2) Loading: Does it pick up soaps and creams easily?
I won't be able to answer this until later in the review week when I use a hard soap, but I have no reason to think the brush won't be able to do an excellent job loading product.

3) Lather: Does it build and apply lather well?
Bowl lathering took about the same amount of effort as I usually use, but with better results in the bowl. Awesome lather when transferred from bowl onto the face. Did I mention that the lather was awesome? :adoration:

4) Application/Backbone: Does it allow for a soft/smooth/effective application of lather to the skin.
Nice backbone with some flop on the tips. Very smooth lather application.

5) Quality feel: Does the synthetic brush have the “quality” feel against the skin? Would it pass a blindfold test against naturals?
Yes, face feel is outstanding. *Disclaimer I do not own a natural silvertip brush.* Lightly skritchy, but mostly just soft. I "painted" the lather on my face a bit longer than usual just to enjoy the feel of the brush.

6) Appearance: Is the look of the brush attractive?
Almost the same as esterday: The knot itself is almost as attractive as real badger, a 9 if real badger is a 10. This is highly subjective obviously. I'm not a huge fan of the handle, it's "okay" but I could use another knurled ring for better grip, we shall see how my grip is on the brush when bowl lathering. Update: Handle was more than fine for grip while bowl lathering. Maybe I was just figuring out the right grip yesterday.

So, in summary, after two uses I am very impressed with this brush. On back to back days I used some of the cheapest and most expensive lathering products available and both of them produced some of the thickest most cushiony lathers I have ever made. Coincidence??? :euro:

Here is a shot of today's set up. Muehle cream, 1946-1950 Gillette Gold Fat Handle Tech with a Shark blade and the Muehle Silvertip Fiber with my Bill Bowl from Dirty Bird.

$Muehle & Muehle.jpg

I enjoyed this thread so much that I picked up a 23mm today to go along with my 21mm. These are great brushes!!

Glad to have some small part in enabling you! May I ask where you bought yours? I am having trouble finding retailers online besides the official Muehle site. I am thinking about buying one for my birthday in May, and I also think that Codfish may be a Muehle operative! :lol:

That lather looks great. Good enough to eat!

A tip: I fount that a squeeze of the brush about an inch below the handle was good for the way I lather. Otherwise it holds too much water.

Thanks Jim! I will try your advice tomorrow AM. :thumbup:

I bought my 23mm off the bst today and bought my 21mm from Phil at bullgoose. I'm still debating a 19mm for face lathering

Super review Chris. I bought mine from Bullgoose and have used it 3 times. I face lathered with Irish Moos stick and will move to cream tomorrow. I have five Simpsons and am very impressed with this synthetic. It will be in my rotation. Oh, works great with cold water shaving.

Gus

Nice writeup cxg231 -

Question: What do you think of the 23mm for face lathering (to big / floppy???) Looking to pick up another brush for face lathering and thinking of either the 21 or the 23 mm...

Thanks!!!

Top Bottom