What's new

scenting with essence oil

question. while waiting for an order to arrive i went and bought a puck ofVAn Der Hagen Delux Shave Soap from the local wally world. Since the smell of this soap is somewhat neutral, i thought maybe i could add a drop or two of essence oil during the lathering process. Has anyone done this and if so what were the results? Also is this damaging to the brush?

I've added it to the soap. VDH will melt easily in the microwave. Use short bursts (15 sec) until it's liquid, add your scent and mix, let it set up and you should be good to go. I've had no problems with brushes.

I recently bought a puck, melted it down, and added some lime essential oil for scent (as well as some glycerin for added slickness). The soap works really really well with no damage to any brush I've ever used—I don't think essential oils would ever damage your brush at the low levels used in perfumery.

So anyway, the only problem is that there's still this lingering VDH smell amidst the nice limes smell. What I thought could take care of this is to air out the puck beforehand, or if you're impatient with these things like I am, keep blasting the puck in the microwave with really short hits once it has melted. My theory with this is that the scent will hopefully evaporate away with continual heat being added and then once it's gotten to a nice neutral smell zone, add your EOs, mix, and pour.

I never actually thought of melting it down and adding anything...I should have, it makes a lot more sense than what i was thinking. i was thinking of just loading the brush and add a drop of EO into the cup when i start to make my lather. but melting and adding sounds like a much better solution. Plus if it goes wrong i would be out only a buck or so. Unless SWMBO caught me melting soap in the microwave, then im not sure what id be out, but at the very least i would get a look...:)

Plus if it goes wrong i would be out only a buck or so. Unless SWMBO caught me melting soap in the microwave, then im not sure what id be out, but at the very least i would get a look...:)

Come on, you are a Marine! No SWMBO should scare you -- especially when compared with Al Quida soldiers in Afghanistan. Just keep the AK-47 locked in a gun locker and your wife away from the key.
:bayrum2:

I've added it to the soap. VDH will melt easily in the microwave. Use short bursts (15 sec) until it's liquid, add your scent and mix, let it set up and you should be good to go. I've had no problems with brushes.

How many drops did you add to a full puck?

Thanks

Tam

Top Bottom