What's new

Got a Simpsons Berkeley...um...what do I do with it?

So...I don't really know much about brushes, but I decided last weekend to order an entry-level high-end brush to see what all the fuss is about. Not wanting to spend a ton of coin on my first one, I picked the Simpsons Berkeley. I knew it was going to be on the smaller side because of the price, but, hrm. This sucker is TINY. I can see that it's worth the price for sure, very dense, silky soft tips with good backbone, but...so very tiny! How does everyone use their small brushes? Face lathering only? I can't imagine this 'lil guy clanking around my bowl!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all disappointed. In fact, I kinda love the brush already and I haven't even used it yet! I just want to know what this brush is best suited for. :euro: Thanks guys!

Pictures! The little guy with my Weber, my brushes (Berkeley, Omega Synthetic, generic Chinese Badger, Omega Pro 49), the Berkeley in my Dirty Bird Bill Bowl.

Attachments

• $DSC06664.jpg
    $DSC06664.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 415
  • $DSC06665.jpg
    $DSC06665.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 420
  • $DSC06668.jpg
    $DSC06668.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 416
It is small for bowl lathering, although it works fine for that. However, the best use of the Berkeley in face lathering soaps. Even though it's small, I find that it holds plenty of lather for 3 passes plus touch ups when face lathering.

The knot will expand somewhat after you break it in, but it's still small. If you like the Berkeley but find it too small for your liking, get a Duke 3.
I doubt you'll find the Duke too small.

I never really thought of the Berkeley as that small. While I did bowl lather with it in the beginning, it was the Berkeley that got me to loose the bowl and go to face lathering.

Berkley 46 is a VERY nice brush. It is a very versatile brush as it is a killer face lather brush yet will whip up mountains of lather in a bowl.

I have 2 size lather bowls. A large one for my bigger brushes like my monster Harvard H6 and Polo 12 and a smaller one for the more "human" size brushes like my Duke 2 and Case.

You can lather with a smaller brush in a larger bowl but you may find that if you size your bowl to your brush you will have an easier time building a lather.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
The Berkeley is my workhorse.

Face or Bowl lathering : doesn't matter.
Cream, hard soap, soft Italian soap : doesn't matter.

Large enough to hold lather for 3+ passes, and yet small enough to use as a travel brush.

You have chosen well! :thumbup1:

Ok guys! Saturday is my day off shaving, but I just *had* to do a break-in lather on the Berkeley. Soaked it in warm water, loaded with Mike's Natural Barbershop soap for about 15 seconds and palm lathered. WOW! :w00t:

I think I get what the deal is with high-end brushes now. It may not look like much on my meaty palm, but this is very thick, very slick lather and it took less than a minute. The little brush is holding an amazing amount of lather inside!

$DSC06669.jpg

However, the best use of the Berkeley in face lathering soaps. Even though it's small, I find that it holds plenty of lather for 3 passes plus touch ups when face lathering.

While I did bowl lather with it in the beginning, it was the Berkeley that got me to loose the bowl and go to face lathering.

I can see how the Berkeley is going to be great for face lathering!

Berkley 46 is a VERY nice brush. It is a very versatile brush as it is a killer face lather brush yet will whip up mountains of lather in a bowl.

I have 2 size lather bowls. A large one for my bigger brushes like my monster Harvard H6 and Polo 12 and a smaller one for the more "human" size brushes like my Duke 2 and Case.

You can lather with a smaller brush in a larger bowl but you may find that if you size your bowl to your brush you will have an easier time building a lather.

Thanks for the advice Turtle!

Face or Bowl lathering : doesn't matter.
Cream, hard soap, soft Italian soap : doesn't matter.

Large enough to hold lather for 3+ passes, and yet small enough to use as a travel brush.

You have chosen well! :thumbup1:

Alright! I'm feeling really good about this brush now! :punk:

The knot will expand somewhat after you break it in, but it's still small. If you like the Berkeley but find it too small for your liking, get a Duke 3.
I doubt you'll find the Duke too small.

Anyone who finds the Duke to be not dense/large enough MIGHT want to invest in a paintbrush. :lol:

I have seen a lot of people say this about the Berkeley. Everything I have read about it indicates that it is an excellent entry-level brush as well as a great all-around brush.

Hi Chris,

The Berkeley is a great brush! Although I don't have meaty hands like you, I do have long slender fingers. It took a few times for me to find the most comfortable way to hold it, but now this brush is as close to auto-pilot as I get during a shave! I can't speak to bowl lathering, as I've face lathered exclusively my entire life, but I can't see why it wouldn't work as long as you have a decent grip. Enjoy!

Like others have said its a great for face lathering. But its also pretty good at bowl lathering. Nice dense brush. Its a little too small for me so I might have to put mine up on the BST soon.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Small is good. But the Berkeley is not small.

Those other brushes are HUGE!

Although I don't have meaty hands like you, I do have long slender fingers.

:lol: Let's just say my stubby fingers are no good for playing a guitar!

bigfoot83 said:
It took a few times for me to find the most comfortable way to hold it, but now this brush is as close to auto-pilot as I get during a shave! I can't speak to bowl lathering, as I've face lathered exclusively my entire life, but I can't see why it wouldn't work as long as you have a decent grip. Enjoy!

Can't wait for tomorrow morning's shave!

Like others have said its a great for face lathering. But its also pretty good at bowl lathering. Nice dense brush. Its a little too small for me so I might have to put mine up on the BST soon.

Oh sure! Now you are gonna sell it! :001_tongu

I like to get my Berkeley started up in a bowl with a few seconds of swirling in cream, and then face lather.

Interesting! Can't say I've heard of that technique, I might try that if the Berkeley does turn out to be too small for my bowl.

Berkeleys are also perfect to start lathering on the puck and then face lather.
A great all rounder.

That's exactly what I did for the picture above, except it was my hand and not my face! :biggrin1:

Bought my Berkeley to replace my C&E BBB as a travel brush, and the Berkeley soon has become my favorite all around brush. Don't think I would want something smaller, but very happy with the performance I get from it face lathering soaps and creams. Can't comment on bowl lathering because I don't do that.

WOW! :w00t:

As recommended by the brush break in sticky at the top of the page, I let my test lather sit in the brush all day. Just washed 'er out and it's been sitting for about half an hour. Can you say BLOOM??? Compare this to my test lather pic above! :w00t:

$Bloom.jpg

Top Bottom