What's new

DIY Smoker?

Using any metal that is galvanized with a heat source can lead to zinc toxicosis, True smoking at very low temps this would be unlikely, but for BBQ I would be very concerned. This topic has been discussed for years on some of the BBQ forums and can be quite contentious. I personally would not use it.

I've seen that too. Yeah, most definitely for low temps when you're in no hurry, and definitely not as a grill!

I bought my Masterbuilt smoker from Bass Pro Shops last year for about $150 (on sale). It is basically a converted dorm fridge - but with the digital temp/time control, nice insulated body and compact size that holds a "butt" load of meat, I couldnt be happier. It does everything I need it to and it dead easy to use.

The BGE is being sold in BJs now. The large model comes with the stand (nest) for $799.00, which isnt cheap - but figures to be a savings of about +$200 over the usual price at a specialized dealer. I have had my eye on one for a long time; I am a diehard charcoal guy and my 10yr old Bar-B-Chef from Barbeques Galore (another Alton Brown reference) is slowly dying. The mfg has gone gas and the parts for the charcoal grill are damn hard to find.

The BGE has thick ceramic walls will let me do low & slow with charcoal and be a better year round grill because of the insulation. Tonight's lottery will take care of the funding, I am sure of it

There was an episode of Good Eats where Alton Brown put a hot pot in the bottom of a large terra cotta pot and put the bottom tray on top. Thrift store shopping could net you all of that for $20 easy.

This thread about building your own Mini Weber Smokey Mountain over at TVWB isn't quite the epic read that the UDS thread @ the brethren is. :lol:

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1840039023/m/5870049575

These little suckers work really well. You'll spend less than 80 bucks and it still functions as a grill. I have spare ribs going on mine right now.

$mini_smoker.jpg

Another Weber kettle smoker here, I did up a chicken last night. Once you get the hang of it it's quite easy to keep a constant temp in the range you want.

Buy a BGE, you won't be disappointed. I've had mine for about 10 years now and I think the longevity of the Egg justifies the price. If you cook on gas grills, how many would you go through in 10 years? Unless you pony up for a really expensive gasser (thereby approaching the cost of an Egg), you would probably buy at least two if not three. I don't see my Egg needing to be replaced any time in the foreseeable future. It can be used as a regular grill for higher temp cooking (I've had mine up to 1000+*F for quick searing) as well as <225*F for Lo-N-Slo smoking. I've even smoked cheeses @ <100*F. Bake on it, fire it up for pizza, use cast iron Dutch ovens in it for chili and pot roast, it can be used to cook it a multitude of ways. I'm smoking an 8.5# pork butt on Tuesday for my son's BD. (Unbeknownst to him, his fiancé and I are giving him one for his BD.) The Egg is truly one product I have bought that I felt has been worth every penny.

Top Bottom