What's new

Which Gold Dollar is the best?

Do whatever you like. If that is your usual way to set a bevel, go right ahead...

I'll let you in on a little secret....

Gold Dollars are razors just like any other...

SHHHHHH!!!!

Don't tell anyone!!!!

You can hone them just like any other razor, you can shave with them just like any other razor...

The only difference is that you don't have to buy them at SRD for $90 as a beginner straight.

(*sounds of sirens going off, red lights flashing, the tromping of hobnailed boots marching up the corridor*)

Oh snap! I guess I spilled the beans. I imagine this thread will be getting locked, and I'll be banned....such is life...
I know this will put him over the top into the realm of unbearable self-esteem, but my golly he is RIGHT!

I wanted to step into the world of straight razors, and I was going to get one of these gold dollars. Is this a good idea? I really don't know anything about straight razors other than I want to learn and use them. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Randy, I'm a straight razor newbie as well. I've shaved with them for a while, but have yet to try honing or even rescaling. From what I've read though, Im convinced that a GD is about as best as you can get to learn on. It's super cheap, and if you mess up, it's no big loss. Not like buying a $20 junker at an antique store and trying to bring it back to life. I say, learn on the GD, then once you get it figured out, move on to others. GDs seem to be the perfect canvas. Great to practice honing, perfect candidates for rescale, and if you want to try to custom modify the blade the 66 is where it's at. Just look at the latest GD contect thread... amazing!

Legion

Staff member
I wanted to step into the world of straight razors, and I was going to get one of these gold dollars. Is this a good idea? I really don't know anything about straight razors other than I want to learn and use them. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Randy, I'm a straight razor newbie as well. I've shaved with them for a while, but have yet to try honing or even rescaling. From what I've read though, Im convinced that a GD is about as best as you can get to learn on. It's super cheap, and if you mess up, it's no big loss. Not like buying a $20 junker at an antique store and trying to bring it back to life. I say, learn on the GD, then once you get it figured out, move on to others. GDs seem to be the perfect canvas. Great to practice honing, perfect candidates for rescale, and if you want to try to custom modify the blade the 66 is where it's at. Just look at the latest GD contect thread... amazing!

Sorry... But no. Nooooooooo....

Gold Dollars, despite what some will claim, can shave. They can be honed. And in skilled hands they can be made to look AWESOME. But..

IMO, they are not a beginner razor, unless you have bought it off someone who has already done all the work on them. In my experience, and I've played with a few now, the steel is fine, but the grinding is all over the place. That's all good (sort of) if you have a lot of experience with razors and know how to fix it, but I wouldn't wish it on a newbie unless he punched my puppy or something.

Look, you might get lucky and get a good one. But odds are the razor will need work before it is even able to be honed. Learning honing is tricky enough without having to learn to regrind a razor as well.

Stick with cheaper vintage razors on ebay, BST or antique shops that have minimal rust and hone wear. If you want to play with GD's later when you have some practice, and you know what a good razor should feel like, go nuts.

Gold Dollars, despite what some will claim, can shave. They can be honed. And in skilled hands they can be made to look AWESOME. But..

IMO, they are not a beginner razor, unless you have bought it off someone who has already done all the work on them. In my experience, and I've played with a few now, the steel is fine, but the grinding is all over the place. That's all good (sort of) if you have a lot of experience with razors and know how to fix it, but I wouldn't wish it on a newbie unless he punched my puppy or something.

Look, you might get lucky and get a good one. But odds are the razor will need work before it is even able to be honed. Learning honing is tricky enough without having to learn to regrind a razor as well.

Stick with cheaper vintage razors on ebay, BST or antique shops that have minimal rust and hone wear. If you want to play with GD's later when you have some practice, and you know what a good razor should feel like, go nuts.

$IMG_0040.jpg
I happen to have just been at an Antique store. Are any of these worth it?

Legion

Staff member
Can't really tell without a good look at the blade.

My advice is get your first razor shave ready from someone who knows what they are doing. It might be a GD, a vintage one, or a new one. But regardless, it will still need to be made shave ready. Without that, when you start to hone your own, you will have no yard stick to measure against. A shave ready razor feels a certain way, and it is different to a DE or a disposable blade straight. you need to experience a good one when you are learning so you know that any problems are you, not the equipment.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
I'll go hide in the corner now.

That's cool man. :biggrin1:

The amount of GD love around here lately, it is an easy assumption to make.

They are potentially good shavers, and potentially great value, especially if you get an easy one. But they are not a beginner project, IMO.

Best to be upfront about these things and let people work out their level.

+1 to both of Legion's posts. GD's are a lot of fun if you have some experience with straights, shaving with them and their modifications which includes bevel setting, working out bent blades, removing shoulders etc. .I wouldn't say they are 'entry level' blades in any way shape or form. They are essentially blanks that will become a good razor.

Based only on what I have read and the razors they have received for an entry level razor it seems hard to beat the offers Whipped Dog seems to have. Here you'll get a solid piece ready to shave. Now you'll have a yard stick to measure from as you learn to at least strop the piece as you start your journey. From there as you accumulate skills you can go on to honing etc. as you can start from a solid base.
There are many good values still to be found at various markets, but here again , not knowing your skill set, honing ability etc. etc.you're still back at square one not knowing what a decent shaving razor should act like.

Straights are a wonderful experience if the conditions are right. Miserable if everything is wrong. You have to know the difference. It's not like changing blades from one manufacturer in a DE to another blade. They'll all shave to some point. And I'd hate to see anyone turned off by straights if your blade isn't exactly as it should be. There are too many variables that affect these things to leave it to chance.

Last edited:
I just ordered two more #66 for under $8.

A client sent me 5 to hone and I really lucked out , a little DMT work got me to the edge with no problem.

just used my #66 again today. (first in a long time) i got a DFS from it. there was a little pulling, and some discomfort but, im sure last time i honed it along with the rest, it didnt get the attention the rest got.

That there, is awesome advice. Thumbs up!

Top Bottom