What's new

Synthetic shave brushes, what are the advantages / disadvantages ?

Thank you for the rundown on it. I know that my local Sephora has them in stock. I just can't pull the trigger on a $90 synthetic.

Back in 2008 I one a contest here for a MenU synthetic and was pleasantly surprised with how nice it is. My only problem with it if I were considering purchasing it would be the price, $50 is too much for it when boar brushes are half the price I prefer them much more.

The brush in this photo is less than $33 with shipping.

proxy.php

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/296007-The-Clear-Handled-H-I-S-Up-Close-And-Personal

Hey guys, some great feedback about synthetics. I'm still relatively new to wet shaving, but have been using a brush with cream and soap for about a year now, so I've learnt a little bit. I've only been using synthetics, so I can't comment on how they measure up to badger/boar. But I've tried out 3 synthetics - the MenU, the Muhle Silvertip Fibre and WhippedDog's 22mm synthetic. They all lather very easily and quickly, but I need to do a bit of lather maintenance while I shave as they do dry over the 15 or so minutes it takes me to shave. The Muhle dries very very quickly. The handles on the Muhle and WhippedDog (the resin option) have a good weight, but I was a bit let down by the plastic handle of the MenU - not a big thing, but hey. The feel of the Muhle on my face was a little prickly, but some guys might like that. I loved the WhippedDog's feel on my face - buttery soft, and it had the best backbone of all!

Final thoughts - the Muhle is the most appealing to the eye (and I bought it as a gift for my dad, so I'll be saying goodbye to it soon) and is a great brush. Although it performed well, the MenU was overpriced (I cannot ever see why a synthetic should be comparable in price to a badger brush) and lacked the backbone I was hoping for. But, I cannot overstate how pleased I was with WhippedDog's brush - soft, great backbone, good weight, and it was the cheapest of the three. I would highly recommend it to anyone and Larry's service is quick and honest.

I've a one and only synthetic brush, the Mühle Travel Brush 31 M 530 and I've tried it with creme and stick soaps.
It's my favorite travel brush and it makes a very nice and easy lather in no time.
Since the handle is made of aluminium, it's a very light brush.
At home, I enjoy the "life" of true hair brushes. Both boar and badger.

proxy.php

Top Bottom