What's new

Synthetic shave brushes, what are the advantages / disadvantages ?

<snip>Biggest con for me is the backbone. I haven't used a synthetic brush that excelled at face lathering yet because of a lack of backbone.
However, I hear the Muhle synthetics have more backbone than other synthetics.

My previous favorite synth, an Ever-Ready, lacked back-bone, yet that didn't deter it from being a lather machine and I only face lathered with it. My Muhle has perfect backbone for face lathering and painting.

Steve

Bullgoose. I ordered it and some Pre De Provence and got free shipping. It was $80 or so total for both ($68 for the brush). I ordered the 21mm. If I get it Friday and can bowl and face lather it well, I might order the 23mm knot and sell all my other brushes.

Thanks, Dave. I face lather with several Simpsons and a Shavemac 177. Just got a U-Member and Omega synthetic and just lathered up. Think I lake the cheaper Omega but some lack of backbone; good job, however. Glad you said Bullgoose; I like them.

Gus

The current one is very soft indeed, with no sensation you could think of as face ripping ;-)

It is way too springy in my opinion but the bristles themselves are velvety soft.

I agree with you, this is my experience as well.

I can tell you though that I used my Body Shop Syn exclusively for over a year and it became soft feeling, lathers anything very easily, water retention was sufficient, dries fast, good back bone, very easy to maneuver.

I had to replace it recently with a brand new one, and it was stiffer. Not as soft, not as everything as described above. So this leaves me to believe that there is a breaking in period on this brush. I can't wait to get it back to the way it was.

I have a jack black synthetic brush, expensive compared to other synthetics but cheap compared to badger/boar hair brushes, best brush I have ever used, hands down beats anything I have tried previously, I wish I could get a bit longer handle, very soft on the face (I face lather mostly) works great for anything I have thrown at it thus far, no complaints, highly recommended!

Well, Mühle Silvertip Fibre© travel brush + Arko stick soap gives me very easy and pleasant shaves while traveling.

Since I have been using a wide variety of synthetics both in size and manufacturers, I have found that the synthetic class of brush is the only one in which size really does matter.

The reason is that the fibers of a synthetic are solid versus a natural hair which has microscopic gaps or pockets if you will. The natural hair brushes will hold water better than the synthetics due to these natural pockets. One drawback to these pockets is that you must take greater care because over time the natural brush becomes less effective if it is not properly cleaned to get out the lather and minerals that accumulate over time.

As a synthetic knot becomes larger and more densely packed, the fibers are close enough that more water is more easily retained between the fibers, and the brush behaves more and more like a natural brush, when it comes to water retention. Also, with the larger more tightly packed brush, the fibers rub against each other creating even more efficient lathering. Backbone also increases with the more densely packed brushes.

Now the knot size sweet spot range that I am talking about lies somewhere between 24 and 28 mm. I have been informed that it is difficult to create a synthetic larger than 28 mm due to the fact that the density of the fibers would make the shape a round grouping of fibers instead of being able to fan out like a brush should. Maybe this will change as the technology improves in order to increase the size.

The Muhle 35 K 252 and the H.I.S. are 25 mm and 28 mm respectively and they are absolute lather monsters in terms of generation and application. The Muhle 33 K 257 at 23 mm is a very good brush, but in using all these brushes and others, the larger Muhle 35 K 252 and the H.I.S. are my synthetics of choice due to size, backbone, softness, water retention while using the brush and shortened drying times after the shave.

Just got a Jack Black synthetic brush. I like it, it is VERY soft, yet has good backbone.

The only thing that is weird is that a stream of water will sometimes come out of it, seemingly from nowhere, for no good reason, when I face lather.

Just got a Jack Black synthetic brush. I like it, it is VERY soft, yet has good backbone.

The only thing that is weird is that a stream of water will sometimes come out of it, seemingly from nowhere, for no good reason, when I face lather.

It was a gift.

the materials are top notch. the handle is heavy and substantial, the bristles are really interesting, much softer by FAR than my pure badger and my finest badger.

There is some exposed glue at the bottom of a few of the fibers, a huge turn off.

As well as the fact that it is made in china.

Had I purchased something for myself, I would have tried one of Muhle's synthetics instead.

But overall, I like the brush a lot.

Top Bottom