What's new

Thoughts on this Coffee Purchase - Chemex, Kone, Hario Kettle

I am looking to upgrade my coffee karma a bit. Currently I make my coffee using an Aeropress. So, looking to move up a bit, for larger brews etc...

I was thinking...

1. Chemex - 6 cup
2. Coava Kone Filter V2
3. Hario Buono Kettle

How is this for a nice upgrade?

Also, I need some sort of grinder... I sadly don't have one as of yet. Would love recommendations for a small bur type grinder. Manual is fine as I am short on space at the moment.

Thanks in advance...

With the exception of the kettle, that is the set up I use. Couldn't be more pleased.

The Hario Skerton is fairly priced and makes a nice, consistent grind. It is a manual so expect grinding 40 or 50 grams of beans to take a few minutes.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
The Chemex is my method of making coffee daily, it's the new version with the handle instead of the wood collar. I have only used the regular Chemex filters so can't comment on the cone, but I prefer the cleanness of the cup they provide.

Ok I bought the Chemex and Hario kettle. Couldn't find the kone in stock. So that will wait. Next I have to buy a grinder. I like those old box ones. Just like my grandma had brought from Germany. When she immigrated here. I was thinking of looking at one of the 9million antique stores here to see of I could find one. You think of the burs aren't rusted, and I give it a good cleaning that would work? If not I'll go with a new one or save some $ and go with the hario.

Ok I bought the Chemex and Hario kettle. Couldn't find the kone in stock. So that will wait. Next I have to buy a grinder. I like those old box ones. Just like my grandma had brought from Germany. When she immigrated here. I was thinking of looking at one of the 9million antique stores here to see of I could find one. You think of the burs aren't rusted, and I give it a good cleaning that would work? If not I'll go with a new one or save some $ and go with the hario.
Safe bet (obviously) is to get a new hand grinder. There are decent ones over the price spectrum.

Take the rest of this post with a lot skepticism, as I am vaguely recalling information that I read online from someone who restored old hand grinders. Where they noted their success rate with old grinders bought from ebay and similar places was about 70%. Where the majority of those 30% failures were due to rusted burrs and a minority was due to simply being worn out. In your case, if you can inspect the burrs you should have a high success rate. The more difficult thing may be to judge the grind range and figure out if it would be good for your styles of brewing.

If you can't find/afford the Zassenhaus, try to find one of the Dutch made DeVe grinders. They can usually be had for twenty to thirty bucks at antique/flea malls, and are often in pristine condition. And they work ever bit as good as the Zassenhaus grinders.

Top Bottom