Thread: Thoughts on this Coffee Purchase - Chemex, Kone, Hario Kettle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question Thoughts on this Coffee Purchase - Chemex, Kone, Hario Kettle

I am looking to upgrade my coffee karma a bit. Currently I make my coffee using an Aeropress. So, looking to move up a bit, for larger brews etc...

I was thinking...

1. Chemex - 6 cup
    2. Coava Kone Filter V2
    3. Hario Buono Kettle

How is this for a nice upgrade?

Also, I need some sort of grinder... I sadly don't have one as of yet. Would love recommendations for a small bur type grinder. Manual is fine as I am short on space at the moment.

Thanks in advance...
    Cheers, Matt
    KCCO

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Images

With the exception of the kettle, that is the set up I use. Couldn't be more pleased.

The Hario Skerton is fairly priced and makes a nice, consistent grind. It is a manual so expect grinding 40 or 50 grams of beans to take a few minutes.
    Henry

My Kit

henry (@) badgerandblade.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The Chemex is my method of making coffee daily, it's the new version with the handle instead of the wood collar. I have only used the regular Chemex filters so can't comment on the cone, but I prefer the cleanness of the cup they provide.
    -Derrick
    In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Zassenhaus grinder. Any one of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok I bought the Chemex and Hario kettle. Couldn't find the kone in stock. So that will wait. Next I have to buy a grinder. I like those old box ones. Just like my grandma had brought from Germany. When she immigrated here. I was thinking of looking at one of the 9million antique stores here to see of I could find one. You think of the burs aren't rusted, and I give it a good cleaning that would work? If not I'll go with a new one or save some $ and go with the hario.
    Cheers, Matt
    KCCO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry for typos I'm using my iPhone.
    Cheers, Matt
    KCCO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Zassenhaus is the name you want to look for.

As long as it's one of these, you should be fine. :)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by withoutink View Post
    Ok I bought the Chemex and Hario kettle. Couldn't find the kone in stock. So that will wait. Next I have to buy a grinder. I like those old box ones. Just like my grandma had brought from Germany. When she immigrated here. I was thinking of looking at one of the 9million antique stores here to see of I could find one. You think of the burs aren't rusted, and I give it a good cleaning that would work? If not I'll go with a new one or save some $ and go with the hario.
    Safe bet (obviously) is to get a new hand grinder. There are decent ones over the price spectrum.

Take the rest of this post with a lot skepticism, as I am vaguely recalling information that I read online from someone who restored old hand grinders. Where they noted their success rate with old grinders bought from ebay and similar places was about 70%. Where the majority of those 30% failures were due to rusted burrs and a minority was due to simply being worn out. In your case, if you can inspect the burrs you should have a high success rate. The more difficult thing may be to judge the grind range and figure out if it would be good for your styles of brewing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you can't find/afford the Zassenhaus, try to find one of the Dutch made DeVe grinders. They can usually be had for twenty to thirty bucks at antique/flea malls, and are often in pristine condition. And they work ever bit as good as the Zassenhaus grinders.